Mobile work week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile work week?

Some of you have said you work Monday through Friday, and have Saturdays and Sundays off. I'm having a hard time with that, since I've always worked in a shop, and Saturdays are always a must!lol Since I'm going mobile soon, I would appreciate some more input from you guys on what days you work, and why. Thanks! :-)

It is one of the deciding factors

for me to go mobile, in my case, housecall. I'm a dog show, social and church person. I worked in the insurance medical field for many years inbetween and loved my week-ends. Hated the thought of grooming due to horribly busy Saturdays. Well I groom Mon to Fri. and will do many evening appointments to accomodate those that want to "be there" and work. I loooooovvvvvee my week-ends.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

normal work week for me is sat thru wed with thurs, fri off. i prefer weekdays off as everything is less crowded on weekdays if i want to do something.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I work Tues-Saturday....I have a lot of regulars that can only do a Saturday appt. because they work M-F....Luckily, most of my clients work from home and are very flexible with their schedule...I don't mind having Sunday and Monday off...I like to ride my motorcycle on Sunday and Monday is for errands and my massage...

Comment

I take some Mondays off

I work days and hours I want. Some Mondays I plan off and then do a new dog. Some Sats I take off now and then. Some clients have to have me Sat. I don't work after 3, and want to be home by then or before traffic.I have gaps where I will stop home and eat lunch and go back out.

Comment

My first year in business I worked every other Saturday. I really hated it because when I only have one day off I would not want to spend that day doing the things I needed to do around the house. Therefore, when I planned my customers' schedules for 2006 I booked only Monday through Friday (basically working 8:00 - 6:00) and blocked out vacation time. Last year I took 2 10-day vacations. This year I've planned the same (however, one of my breaks will include the trade show in Hershey, PA in Sept.). I will work Saturdays before and after my vacations just so I can get all my customers' dogs groomed. Needless to say, if my truck breaks down (not just regular mtce.) or if I get sick, I will move my appointments to Saturday.

Comment

First off remember it is YOUR business and you have the advantage of being able to choose your work hours/days. Saturdays are always busy because many people are off and it is easier to get the clients booked that day so many shops tend to overbook a bit that day. I chose to compromise. I show dogs so I do need weekends off fairly regularly. I work Tues-Friday and only 2 Saturdays/month. The advantage to mobile is, no one knows if you are working or not. I will only book regular clients on Saturdays, no sporadic ones or new ones at all. I try to book 8/day during the week and only 6 on Saturdays. This means that I get a 3 day weekend twice a month. Due to dog shows, my Saturdays I work are not always the same ones each month. even my regular Sat appointments know that though they may be on a 6 or 8 week schedule, it may go a week either way sometimes simply due to that being the first available Saturday near their ideal schedule. They know if they have problems with the fluctuation, they are more than welcome to book on a weekday.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosMom View Post
                Some of you have said you work Monday through Friday, and have Saturdays and Sundays off. I'm having a hard time with that, since I've always worked in a shop, and Saturdays are always a must!lol Since I'm going mobile soon, I would appreciate some more input from you guys on what days you work, and why. Thanks! :-)
                I changed careers four years ago, worked WAY too many hours in my other life. Then when I went into grooming I worked for a large retailer in their salon and worked way too many Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

When I started mobile, like you I was worried. How could you not work Saturdays? So I scheduled half days on Saturdays. Eventually I stopped offering Saturday appointments and people found ways to do weekday appts. I also don't do evening appts. Many of my clients are not at home when I do their dogs, we just decide on a day and leave the time open. This is wonderful and greatly reduces stress if I am having a day where I am running behind. The majority of my clients are retired and so maybe this works better here than it would in your area. Since they are retired they are home all day and scheduling is not a big issue for them.

I still have one Saturday morning appt that I do every six weeks. They are clients that have a weekend home in my area; I used to do them when I lived in a town 50 miles from here and have been grooming their Cockers for about 3 years. So I do them when they are here.

The great thing about mobile is your ability to set hours that work best for you. Once a client is comfortable with you, alot of them won't even feel it is necessary for them to be there.

Carol

Comment

I work Saturdays and take Thursdays and Sundays off. I really like a break in between my days. I have to say, however, that Saturdays are no busier than other days. When I worked in a shop, Saturdays were always the craziest days. Everyone seemed to need to get in that day, and not want appointments during the week. Since going mobile, I''ve found people are more flexible and every day is the same as far as bookings go. I recently have tried to set up one full weekend off a week.
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I will work a Saturday every once in a while for those clients that have to be home because they have a big dog that they need to left up for me. I will also groom first time cilents that work during the week, then after that initial appt, I will only groom during the week when it's convenient for me. They call hide a key or leave me their key code so I can get to the dog. I like my weekends too!

Comment

work week

ours is tue through sat every other monday.I am always working unless injured or very sick even then i can find something to work on.This year I am going to take a few hours to go fishing,even got a new set of gear to keep in the van to hit some of these inland lakes and ponds I keep passing by.May steal a few days to make a tonk and cane fly rod nodeless type to add to my collection.Other then that it's all work it just blends into one long day.

Comment

Hi, I have a mobile friend that works the weekends, taking off Tue & Wed...
                        for me I've noticed that the weekends tend to be harder to park in areas, due to everyone being home.

I start early, 5:30 -6AM, I'm usually done by noon sometimes earlier. My client base also like it's weekends off. I have some that I do on Sat, but only selected few.

Comment

This is my first year. I've worked 6 days a week since I started. I would LOVE to have two days off, but I really don't know how I can do that and still eat..haha..single in san diego.

Comment

That's the beauty of working for yourself, you set your hours! As you can see, we tend to be all over the week and the clock. Personally, I like my weekends. If I WAS going to work Saturdays I would charge a premium for those appointments. I am a morning person and like to start early, but I know a lot of groomers who work later in the day to accomodate people who like to be home.

I have a good reputation and people wait to get into my mobile schedule. I push the convenience factor of them not even needing to be home after the first time (I can try to give them an early appt or a lunchtime one), and they tend to make it work for being home the first time, then they give me a key or the access code to the their garage opener. So I like to work Mon thru Fri, and I like to be cleaning up in my driveway by 2-3 o'clock. (then I shower and sit down with a bowl a Edy's Grand Lite ice cream and my DVR'd The View!!)

Fridays I detail the van and clean up is longer so I try to schedule less grooms. That said, we had a bunch of unexpected expenses recently and my phone's been ringing, so I am working way long days (still just 5 though). Loving the $$ and almost caught up, so I'll be cutting back. What I do to cut back is just not take on new clients and some people move and some old dogs die and I am where I want to be again).

Comment

I work M-F. I tried Tues-Sat a few months ago, but my clients didn't seem to like to waste their weekends sitting at home waiting on the groomer.

Comment

Working...
                              X