Bad checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad checks

I've been in business for 6 weeks I had 2 checks returned for nsf.One was a multi pet family the other a single pet.My question was how long do you give them to take care of it?they bounced them both on March 3rd.

I used to call the client and for the most part folks were embarassed so I'd try to smooth it over and let them know that it was no big deal...that they could drop off another check and that should take care of it and it would all be forgotten. I DID have one client who bounced a check on me and refused to return my phone calls. But THEN they made an appointment for the dog a few months later (a nasty chow) so I took the appointment and let them come to the shop, dog and three kids in tow, and showed them the bounced check. They said that it hadn't bounced and it I explained to them in a real matter of fact way that it indeed had and that all I wanted was to get payed for service rendered. I don't remember if I ever got my money because I kicked them out of the shop (they couldn't believe that I wasn't going to groom their dog!) and I posted the check on the wall above the register where everyone could see. I also posted the client card of the scumbag junkie who TRIED to rob me by grabbing my tip jar...I got him by the way and he is in county lockup.

Sorry for the rant but it sounds like you're just having a string of bad luck. Chances are it won't ever happen to you again...bounced checks were pretty rare for me in spite of the fact that I was in a pretty poor part of PA. Chin up, chest out and smile....you are on your way to success!

Comment

You should make phone contact right away. Find out how they want to deal with this. It could be they just can't balance a check book. Don't ebarrasse
      them. It could be so simple. If they don't make good on them within a week. You need to send a certified demend letter, This is what I have used in the past:
      Name of your business
      address
      city state zip
      phone
      date

Mr. xxxx SENT CERTIFIED MAIL
      Address: SECOND NOTICE
      City state:
      phone

Bank:
      Address:

Check number:

Dear Mr. XXXX

The subject check, date XX-XX-XXXX, drawn by you on XX_XX_XXXX in the amount of $$$$,
      And payable to Name of business. Has been returned for the following reason:

-Insufficient Funds

You will be charged a return check fee of $00.00 (xxx dollars) as stated on your ??????? Web site some documentation.

Please arrange to immediately replace this check with a new check money order or a cashier check in the amount of $$$ no later than 10 (ten) calendar days from the date of this letter.

California Civil Code Sec. 1719 … the person who is owed money has the right to sue maker of the check. The person owed money is entitled to recover the amount of the check plus treble damages of not less than $100 and not more than $1500, plus the cost of mailing the notice and legal fees.

Please forward payment to the above address.

Please contact Name of business and phone if you have any questions or need additional information.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely

Name of business

Please note the amount may have changed since I last used this letter, this is what I sent to someone 7 years ago. This should be a start. Please check for update amount for trible damages. CALIFORNIA use.
      I only use calendar days, business days is a farst. I week 7 days a week. I don't shut down for holidays.

Comment

You must call them immediately. It's funny how people know they bounced a check but never call to offer to pay! I would get a rubber stamp made and stamp each receipt with something like;

"returned checks are subject to a $50. fee"

I know it sounds like a lot but, you have to be a collection agent half the time to get paid back. You could always just show up at dinner time, that's my favorite trick!

Comment

it's only happened to me 2x in 3 1/2 yrs one was my neighbor who i only take cash now and the other was the sister if my best client i waited a couple of days and called to let her know, she was sorry gave me cash plus 20 dollars more i did'nt ask for the extra money but she figured i went through some trouble so she gave me extra money, i would call them and ask when i can pass by to get the money in cash if they are'nt good clients and if they are good clients call them and ask if they can make you another check,but call them ASAP the more you think about it the harder it will get.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
            You must call them immediately. It's funny how people know they bounced a check but never call to offer to pay! I would get a rubber stamp made and stamp each receipt with something like;

"returned checks are subject to a $50. fee"

I know it sounds like a lot but, you have to be a collection agent half the time to get paid back. You could always just show up at dinner time, that's my favorite trick!
            We're not allowed to charge that high of a fee. I think it's only $25.00 plus bank fees in WV so check with your local laws before you try to charge returned check fees.

Comment

My post included the bank fee, to clarify.

Comment

Bad Checks

I recently had this happen and unfortunately, the client scooted like a rabbit whenever I called. I finally managed to get the point across by "stopping by since I was in the neighborhood" and caught her walking the dog. I explained that I had attempted to make contact by phone (she acted surprised) and needed to settle this debt since I was closing the books out for end of month.
                Best advice, be diligent and continue to follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by ncpetspa View Post
                  I recently had this happen and unfortunately, the client scooted like a rabbit whenever I called. I finally managed to get the point across by "stopping by since I was in the neighborhood" and caught her walking the dog. I explained that I had attempted to make contact by phone (she acted surprised) and needed to settle this debt since I was closing the books out for end of month.
                  Best advice, be diligent and continue to follow up.
                  Be very aggressive when they start acting like a "rabbits", that means they know they have cheated you. They have defrauded you.

Comment

I had a woman that owned her own business that wrote me a bounced check! I called her but her phone was disconnected. I drove by her shop and her shop was closed and car repo'd. Now I was thinking, wtf was she doing getting her dogs groomed when her business was tanking? She wrote me a check on an account that had been seized by the ira!!!

A year later I see in the paper that this woman was funded by a privite invester to restart her business. I decided to let it go. Two months later her business was shut down again. I don't know where this woman is today.

Comment

Originally posted by MissKitty View Post
                      I don't know where this woman is today.
                      In jail?lol I've had a couple of bounced checks- three, actually, in the past year and half. Two payed up promptly and apologetically, the third one didn't. I don't make it a big deal when I call them about it- I simply say their check for Fifi's grooming didn't clear, could they please bring payment by in the next few days? The two who paid up were regular clients, and you could hear the embarresment in their voices. I told them that these things happen to all of us, not to worry. They both came in and paid up, in cash.

That's another thing, too- DO NOT accept another check for a bounced check!lol

Comment

Originally posted by happy trails View Post
                        I've been in business for 6 weeks I had 2 checks returned for nsf.One was a multi pet family the other a single pet.My question was how long do you give them to take care of it?they bounced them both on March 3rd.
                        When I get a check that had bounced (nsf), I wait a week and deposit it again, and I get my money.

Comment

If they avoid you...

You can hold onto the check and go directly to the client's bank (not yours!) and try to cash it periodically after a reasonable attempt on your part to reach the client. You won't be charged if it is NSF.

I had a check from someone who avoided me on the phone, and finally I happened to be in the area where her bank was, stopped in and wallah! Cashed the baby. No more checks (or service for that matter) for that client.

Comment

well in 7 months..as a mobile groomer..i've had 2 bounced checks..i finally got the money for one..after running it through her bank 5 times..but it still cost me a fee from my credit union..and then when they finally cashed it they took out 5 dollars...i don't know why.but made me kinda mad.. The other bounced check i got..was from a lady who talked me way down in price..lived IN a mansion etc...well she wouldn't return calls..or anything..and after trying to cash it 10 times..i called the district attorney and they said i could fill out some paper work..but there was nothing they could do unless they could prove it was intentional that she bounced the check? well I don't understand the law..but I always thought you would go to jail for writing bad checks..but guess what..in california you dont...so its just too bad for you if you get one..

Comment

In 2 years of being a mobile groomer, I've had 2 checks bounce....One was an account error, (reg client) they made good on it right away and the other was a new client, I never did get paid for that groom...She wouldn't return my calls, of course, so I just wrote her off and did nothing....I don't like confrontation, so I don't see myself showing up at their doorstep to get my money, but that's just me....Luckily, they only had one dog, maybe my attitude would be different if the bill was higher...

Comment

Working...
                              X