A word of warning!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word of warning!!

Hey ladies/gents, I know the discussion of groomer lung has been discussed but I've just spent 3 days sweating out a 102 temp with a bacterial infection in my lungs, not the best week of my first year in business, doctor put it down to all the nail dust, dry dog skin and moisture from hv drying having a party in my lungs, back to work today and am wearing the masks my hubby bought me, (and thought I was wearing!!) god I hate the I told you so!!!

yuckie air in the groom shop

Yes there have been some good articles written about the air and particulates in grooming shops (areas) that's one reason clipper vacuum systems are so good to have on hand. Another reason to bath dogs FIRST, (you wet down the dander, thus less in the air) Nail dust, depends on the grineder or dremel you are using, some actually catch a lot of the dust (the Laube grinder for instance)...You just have to educate yourself and then use the technology...

Comment

wow - i've been thinking a lot about this lately. the shop where i work (only 1 day a week grooming at least), is blowing out big hairy dogs all day long (pre bath) and NO ONE wears a mask .... it's pretty gross. i've been sick this week & i'm wondering if that has someting to do with it.

plus ... all the kennels are in the same room as the grooming & those dogs are also breathing it all in.

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
        Yes there have been some good articles written about the air and particulates in grooming shops (areas) that's one reason clipper vacuum systems are so good to have on hand. Another reason to bath dogs FIRST, (you wet down the dander, thus less in the air) Nail dust, depends on the grineder or dremel you are using, some actually catch a lot of the dust (the Laube grinder for instance)...You just have to educate yourself and then use the technology...
        I have both the clipper vac and laube grinder, you just can't suck everything up.

Comment

I think about this too. Not only am I in there but my child is in there too. I do have a big air purifier and it does suck up alot but I am sure it is not enough.

Comment

I smoke, never used the clipper vac...and I've never had a lung infection..it might not be job related so don't panic. I've been grooming 28 years. so far, so good.

Comment

I tend to agree with Hairdevil. Since I have been grooming (almost 4 years) I have only had one or two colds, Not like the 3 or 4 (a year) I used to get from working in Cubical city for 20 years.

Comment

I'm sure I will get slammed for this but for those of you that don't use masks YOU ARE jepordizing your health, I mean come on all of the "stuff" flying around that you are breathing in is in NO WAY good for you or your child. Anything you can do to decrease your chances of becoming sick whether it be a mask, ear protection, or eye protection by all means DO IT!! Someone said they got laughed at when wearing one, well let them laugh, BUT PUT ON A MASK!!!

Scoop

Comment

Hi I wear goggles,earplugs but no face mask.I've been grooming for sixteen years and thank God have never had a lung infection.Knock loudly on wood.I do cover my mouth with a towel when I'm blasting off a dog in the tub with soap on it before rinsing to cut down on the water usage.I'm a pretty healthy person.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop View Post
                    I'm sure I will get slammed for this but for those of you that don't use masks YOU ARE jepordizing your health, I mean come on all of the "stuff" flying around that you are breathing in is in NO WAY good for you or your child. Anything you can do to decrease your chances of becoming sick whether it be a mask, ear protection, or eye protection by all means DO IT!! Someone said they got laughed at when wearing one, well let them laugh, BUT PUT ON A MASK!!!

Scoop
                    I don't think anyone is going to slam anyone on this board...I've stuck my neck out quite a bit but everyone seems pretty cool. I do know that there are folks who are more susceptible to infections and colds etc. I also believe in trying to keep a positive mental attitude...how many times have you groomed your butt off at Christmastime, gotten yourself all run down and then felt a little off and told yourself "I think I'm getting sick.." Sure enough Christmas morning or the day after you wake up sick as all get out. (can't say sick as a dog!) Point is that sometimes your mind is your worst enemy...but on the other hand there is no denying that you are working in a tiny enclosed space with dog hair, dander and doggy breath floating in the air. No doubt that some of this makes it's way to your lungs and is lodged there. The human body is an amazing thing but I'm sure if you tax it too much it won't be able to handle the load and bad things may happen. I have heard though that salt air is almost an elixer so I'm thinking that a beach house might be a good investment!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop View Post

Scoop
                      Hi Scoop, not "slamming you" in the least, but do you have any sources you could direct us to with evidence of this?

Comment

I have asthma and am allergic to dogs, cats, and everything else. But I think I have built up my immunity for my allergies, because they rarely bother me. But I love the clipper vac, I always bathe first, And I hold my breath when I dremmel lol. Or I dremmel with a stand dryer blowing the dust away from me. I wish I had the laube grinder but it is expensive. I would be too hot wearing a mask.

Comment

I have shared this story many times and here it goes again... here is why i wear a mask.

My son is a firefighter, he has a friend who works with the coroners office and is studying forensic science. Anyway, he told me once that he can tell what a person did by their lungs. Example: a hairdressers lungs were full of hair, am older dentist would be filled with teeth grindings (OSHA now makes them wear masks), and a groomer with pet hair.

So, you decide. If there is so much in our lungs that a coroner can tell our profession it must be too much.

Comment

That Gives Me The Creeps! When I Lived On The Coast Of North Carolina, I Was Sick All The Time...strep Constantly. Now In Kentucky I Get Sick Maybe 1 Time A Year. But When I Do ..its Tough To Kick. Last Time I Went To The Dr He Said He Couldn't Even Tell I Smoked...lungs So Clear...maybe All That Hair Filters Stuff Out Like In Your Nose! Rofl

Comment

oh gracy that's gross - but at least it definitely makes me want to wear a mask!

hairdevil - (and others) please quit smoking! it's so terrible for you ... and most likely you will get emphysema/cancer/heart disease/etc. my dad has emphysema and dr's say if he had quit just 6 months earlier he would have a much better quality of life right now. he's retired, but not enjoying it, believe me - he can't do much other than watch tv & read ... just gets too out of breath walking from the kitchen to the living room.

and if the effects of dog hair & dander are anything like that for your lungs, than i am going to be more careful!

Comment

Working...
                              X