Letter to raise mobile prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to raise mobile prices

Being mobile, we don't post our prices and really don't have a way to post "an increase". Does anyone have wording for a letter that can be sent out to let people know about an increase? I don't want to tell people over the phone, or in person about an increase.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

i will do it in person. i tell them that either the next groom or at a cetain date the price will increase at X amount. i have a friend who did it by letter, which worked well for her. explained that due to rising costs, she needed to raise prices by X. Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I'm not mobil but I think my way works for you. When I want to raise someone's price I casually say "We've recently had a price increase, Bumble's grooming will be $XX next time". I don't apologize, explain why, or in any way try to justify it. Occasionally (rarely) someone will comment on it...this is when I take on a commisurating tone "Oh, don't I know it, seems like every time I turn around the price of doing business goes up" then I move on, no point in dwelling on it. It is what it is.

Early on I tortured myself over this subject. Then, in time, I realized that I'm in charge of the situation and I need to display the confidence that proves it. Then, in time (nothing came quickly, lol!), I really did FEEL the confidence and that is a beautiful thing!!!

Comment

explaining increase?

I take a much more personal approach, I prefer it that way. I just tell a client (and put it on the invoice) that Buffy's next groom with be... due to the higher opperating costs.

In mobile, I also have a fuel sur-charge when diesel goes over $3.00 a gal...that is on my web site. I do not apologize for raising costs, because there is nothing I can do about it, but I have to charge for it because I have to pay for it. This way I have the option of keeping a price as low as I can, but then charging for fuel when the market is swinging wildly all over the board. Clients don't seem to have a problem with this, they get hit in the pocket same as I do when gas prices are all over the board.

Gas prices in my area are climbing...diesel is staying low for the moment, but you know it will jump too. (I filled up last night for $2.69 a gal, but I see today several places are creeping over $2.75...It's spring BREAK!) Just wait till summer gets here! LOL

Everything goes up, it's just a fact of life...don't appolpgize for something you can't change. Just go with the flow. If clients complain...let them go down the street, they will be back...

Comment

Discussing a price increase in person just will not work for me. I'd really prefer to do it in written form. I went to a mobile grooming seminar in Atlanta, and the presenter does it that way, and I think it would work for me as well. Maybe I'll try to track her down and see if she would share.
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Hi it's not my most pleasant thing to do but when I feel the need I do raise prices.I will just tell the client that the next grooming for Fluffy will be x amount.If they question why I just tell them my exspenses are going up so in order to keep grooming I have to raise my price.I always give them a advance warning.I just feel it's better to tell someone in person that way their is no misunderstandings.This is your business you have to be stern with somethings.

Comment

I have always done mine both ways. I did a newsletter on my computer about the business. Listed some new scheduling, notified them to call well in advance or risk having their pet wait longer than they want between grooms and mentioned the price change. I mailed them out about 3 months before the change and mentioned that I was taking the overhead increase myself for awhile to be able to give them plenty of notice. I also made reminder notes on the invoices that mentioned the date of the upcoming price change as well as mentioned it when I brought the pet back in.
              I have rarely had clients complain and lost a very few due to the price increase and they were usually ones that whined about everything and anything all the time anyway so I did not mind them going elsewhere anyway.
              Carol

Comment

carol,
                your way sounds like a very decent way to raise the prices. a nice letter sent 3 months in advance of your price increase and telling them. also once it gets closer to the price increase time do you also send them another letter (say a month or 2 weeks before the price increase actually happens) to remind them? also do you include a PERSONAL PRICE for that dog (or the multi pets) (say they were paying 35 dollars for a h/c....and you are raising your prices 5 or 6 dollars...and the new price would be 41 dollars) do you include that in your letters?
                personally ...i myself wouldnt be able to tell people to their face about it...id prefer to do it through a letter OR an email or both for that matter! (or even over the phone LOL! but this way you have proof that you sent them a letter). id call,email (if i did this), and write everyone a letter stating...
                due to an increase in costs i am raising the prices xx amount. fluffenbutts NEW grooming price is NOW xx amount. If you have any questions Please feel free to call me at xxx xxx xxxx. Thank you and see you soon! xxxxx grooming.
                this way your letting them know two ways...over the phone AND on paper so they cannot say that they never knew about it. also maybe you could have a monthly little newsletter that you print yourself?...ie...Dog of the week, who got a new puppy, little grooming tips, any updates about your business, upcoming holidays, and any changes that are being made.
                just an idea....that would also be a nice way to tell people that the grooming prices are going up...and if you are mass mailing these...you could include please call for a NEW price qoute. (maybe offer a tiny discount for calling? .50 cents off or 1.00 off for calling and asking about the new price qoute?)
                im just full of ideas LOL!
                sorry for rambling...but either a phone message and a letter or a letter alone would work.
                HTH
                Hound

Comment

About pricing- thinking of going hourly.

I have mixed feelings about how to charge people sometimes.

At one stop I have 2 mini poodles that are done every 8 weeks, which I think is quite a bit of work. so I don't offer multiple dog discount for them. I charge them 5$ over my minimum of XX$ for each dog.

But then I had a call for 3 bostons, basic baths and brushings. No biggie, done in about an hour and 45 minutes. So I gave this lady a lower rate because it still turned out to be over what I would normally per hour for 2 mini poodles.

If I charged my minimum per dog of XX$ then the Bostons would've been much more per hour than I would get for the poodles. And really not very fair.

BUT then I had a call to groom a very small chi mix. She took about 35 minutes total. I charged my minimum, because there was only one dog, even though I felt guilty charging that rate.

I'm always so torn about how to charge people, and I'm thinking about just going to an hourly rate. Is that a bad idea?

Do you ever get calls that people inquire about pricing and then you give them an estimate just based on how long it will take vs. your hourly rate?

Comment

I like your letter, I would just send a price raising letter, with a cost of doing business has gone up. I would not suggest blaming gas prices, because they may ask for a price break when gas comes down.

Comment

Working...
                    X