Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

I have a client with 3 soft coated wheatens that haven't had a hair cut since September only bath and brushes every 3 weeks at first it was ok the hair was only 4-6 inches long now it it atleast 10 inches and 5-6 hours at this stop. I suggested a hair cut to maintane their warmth because they sleep outside she gave me the deer in the headlight look. I found out that if she keeps the dogs in the house in their crates at night the poop pancakes and she looses sleep getting up to clean them up. Any way what I need is suggestions to make her life easier in turn to make my arms feel better again. I am not looking forward to doing that again. Besides that 2 of the dogs aren't terribly bright (puppy mill or SOMETHING). Any sugg. on potty training , what to feed these boys, or how to handle her would be greatly appreciated. K-nine Stylist(w/ elastic arms)

well

The only thing I can think of is going over what time of day she is feeding them.
    I would think if she is feeding them in the morning, they should be pretty empty at night. Could be she is feeding them to late in the afternoon or something.

Comment

First, I hope you are raising your prices accordingly as the dogs hair gets longer and the time and energy requirements get longer and harder to deal with.

Second, I was told years ago my a pet nutrition expert that quite a few different brands of dry pet food beet pulp to thier food because it binds the stool and makes it small and hard and easier to scoop and clean. (It also makes dogs with white faces have pink staining around the mouth and on the feet if they lick them)

Lastly, even after all these years, I still love to groom and wouldn't want to do anything else, BUT if I get a client where after two or three visits (or less) it happens that I dread having to go back to thier house, they I very politely tell them that "for whatever reason" I can't groom thier dog any more.

My biz is high volume and it only has happened twice in the last year, but those two times make a big difference for my mindset.

Comment

It may be that the dogs feel stressed in the crate because they are not used to being put in there. Some people use crates as punishment and so the dog feels stressed when they go into one. my IG did the same thing. I had to just ignore the finger painting and the tantrums for a few days and he finally got used to being crated. And it made housebreaking a lot easier. I restricted food and only fed him breakfast and lunch. And no water after 7 pm. Until he got crate trained.
        So maybe you can tell her this and she will have to be consistent about it, but maybe you can come clean her messy pets after they are crate trained, and cut their hair shorter as well before.

Comment

i agree with furryfriends. i had 2 poodles who i dreaded going to. 8 paws pulling when shaving the feet. the rest of the time, they would go limp. i started to dread all poodles. i tried raising the price and she paid it. i simply told her one day i could no longer do her poodles. i was really sorry, but after doing their feet, my wrists were shot for the day. it didn't take long after they were gone to start enjoying the poodles again.
          Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
          "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

It takes time and patience for a dog to get crate trained. When my black lab was a baby we put him in the crate and he screamed so loud you could hear him a block away lol. Tell her to start feeding the dogs and giving them treats in their crates. Make it a happy place. I would not feed them after 4-5 at the latest that way they poop before bed time. No canned food as that will soften the stool. Raw marrow bones will bulk it up too and in the crate would be a great place for them to enjoy it.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Am I missing something here? Why buy 3 wheatons to have them sleep outside in crates? And to let their coats grow 10 inches long? Those poor dogs. Maybe she should get them a proper home and a trim that can be maintained without torturing them and the groomer. I think this whole situation sounds crazy. Seems like a crummy life. Hearing this makes me sad for the dogs. Wish I could be of more help. :0(
              www.gomobileandsucceed.com
              http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

This is what your going to tell this lady.Trust me she doesnt have a clue on how to maintain her dogs or what is detailed for grooming. Miss. In order for me to help you maintain your dogs for their wellbeing. It is best to have them trimmed to a shorter length. Not only is cleaner and they wont get tangeled or matted as bad since your unable to brush between grooms, but the considerable workload to maintain this length is hard on them and I. In order to properly train them you need to put them on a feeding and drinking schedual. Once that is acheived you will know when they poop. If they are pooping in the crate the interval of feeding time to bedtime is not long enough. Just between you and me all this and the advice from others will go in one ear and out the others. If she doesnt agree to have you trim these dogs then i would walk out. That is way too brutal on you body to brush them out. Wear and tear on body does not equal any dollar in pocket. You might not feel it now but in 15-20 years you will. Get a backbone and tell people how to best maintain the pet for its wellfare and health. Too much hair and she cant see the skin if any problems should arise.
                Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

10 Inches????

I can't imagine what a SCW even looks like with 10 inches of hair. 1 inch is the longest that I would allow on the SCW that I used to groom. I loved the folks and the dog was sweet but they did not brush him enough between grooms, they could only do Saturdays, and I just got tired of talking to them about brushing and his allergies and his nails. His nails were an inch long when I first groomed him. I suggested that they ask the vet to clip them and cauterize them. They never did take care of them. He was at the vet every other week.
                  I felt soooo relieved when I finally let them go.

Comment

Originally posted by wet noze View Post
                    Am I missing something here? Why buy 3 wheatons to have them sleep outside in crates? And to let their coats grow 10 inches long? Those poor dogs. Maybe she should get them a proper home and a trim that can be maintained without torturing them and the groomer. I think this whole situation sounds crazy. Seems like a crummy life. Hearing this makes me sad for the dogs. Wish I could be of more help. :0(
                    I was thinking along the same lines. SCW's are not the easiest of breeds and in my mind should not be owned by a "novice". Owning 3 of them....holy cow, she must have a few marbles loose...lol

I would tell the owner that the dogs HAVE to be cut down at least by 1/2 of the length for you to continue to groom them. There is a lot of good advice you can repeat to her that was already given here. If she does not cooperate then drop her as a client. Simple as that.
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thank you ALL for your wonderful returns I appreciate all of it . I already made up my mind if she won't let me give them a cut I am dropping that account. Bcause your right no money is worth being miserable and out of it for days. P.S. they look like small O.E. beige in collat kinda cute but not fun for the groomer Thanxs for the help. K-nine stylist

Comment

What about bringing pictures, from the internet or a book, of wheatens in short clips? Maybe she's not able to imagine what they will look like once they're clipped.

Comment

I have a SCW that I groom every three weeks. Her owner likes her to have really long hair. She doesn't brush her inbetween either. I think she looks really horrible with all of this wild hair. So every couple of months I take a snap on comb and skim her down some. The owner isn't usually there anyway. She will complain about me making her short but I just tell her she was too matted. I have been doing this for several years now and she hasn't fired me yet. And when I was there last week I discovered an Aussie van at the next door neighbors, so I know she knows there are other mobiles out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X