New and need advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and need advice!!

Hi all, Im new to this site, but Im looking to start up my mobile shop and Im wondering if anyone has gotten a trailer from RightLook and do they like it? I dont know anything about the work involved in operating a mobile unit, or the business, but Ive been wanting to do this ever since I went to grooming school, and every time I look at my check at the end of the week and see that my boss has taken half of my check and Ive had to pay the bather, I
    just want to get it together faster! Im really excited to do this but I get scared that Im not going to be successful, even though I have alot of customers that love my work I get nervous wondering if Im doing the right thing. What are some of the best ways to advertise my business? Thanks for any input. Ruthie

going mobile

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!! Life gives you no guarantees. Do your homework, do a business plan, and then decide.

astrordog

Comment

I have a gryphon trailer and I love it. It tows really nice. In my 12 yrs of towing experience I have found that trailers with 2 axles are easier to manouver. Also, longer trailers too. They seem to be disigned well. I like the storage in there. They don't have their prices listed though. Ask the company for references.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by ruthie lee riley View Post
        even though I have alot of customers that love my work I get nervous wondering if Im doing the right thing.. Ruthie
        First, don't start a business by stealing customers from your boss. Go around to local vets and introduce yourself, ask if you can be put on a referral list. Put ads in your local "pennysaver" a month prior to the start of your business.Take advance appts. Google mobile groomers in the area, some have websites with price lists, do not start out by undercutting the other nobile groomers, it will only hurt you in the long run.BTW what your boss "takes out" each week is set by the irs not him/her. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Ruthie,

Good for you. Why give your hard earned money away. Going Mobile is a great idea. Check out Ambers Mobile Pet Spa.com I bought my trailer from them in December 2006. I love it. Before I bought I shopped around and found Ambers to be designed and built the best. Call them and I think they might be offering financing now which is GREAT. Tax write off and all that.
          Amber has been a groomer for years and is always willing to help anyone, which is kinda rare.....

By the way I am not related in anyway to Amber and I receive nothing for referrals I just believe in their product and their great customer service.

Good Luck

Pinkpoodle

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks for the advice gals.... its appreciated!!

Comment

that rightlook trailer has to be the smallest trailer made!! I would die if I had to be in that tight of quarters 6-8 hours a day! shewwwww

Comment

Irs No-no Big Time!!

Ruthie, if you are a direct employee AND you pay for the bather that is very illegal according to the IRS!! An employee can NOT have an employee!!!!!!

Comment

Small Trailers

I am interested in the RightLook and GT trailers and would like to hear from someone who has experience using these small trailers. I want to go into business towards the end of June and am strongly considering mobile using one of these trailers so I need to make a decision soon. Having a shop is still an option but it seems that there is so much more overhead with a shop than mobile.

Comment

rightlook trailers

i am buying a rightlook trailer. It's small but I'm small and so it works for me. Call them and ask for their information packet. It's really explanatory. I donm't have the trailer yet so I really can't tell you if I will truly like it or not, but everything Ive seen so far is awesome. And Paige, the lady who does all the stuff such as financing, etc, is really sweet.

Comment

Hi I don't know much about the trailer but I do have my own business.My advice is to set your prices high enough so that when all the bills are paid out you will still be making a profit.I would guess you employer probably keeps half of the price of the dog and you get the rest.Keep in mind that they are usually setting you up with the shop,advertiseing,shampoo etc.which is not cheap.They actually only get to keep a small portion for themselfs.I know I'm not making very much off my second groomer yet.but when my vans are paid for it will be worth it.It's a big responsability owning your own business.Don't get me wrong I would not turn back.I'm just lucky to have my hubbies income to rely on when things are'nt so great.Starting the biz was one of the best things we've done.Good luck on you decision.

Comment

Trailers

I have a Rightlook trailer and it's really great...5X8 and more than big enough for me to work in. I have seen their 5X10 trailers and they are HUGE. They actually have classes in them.

Comment

Trailers

Originally posted by lbug View Post
                          I am interested in the RightLook and GT trailers and would like to hear from someone who has experience using these small trailers. I want to go into business towards the end of June and am strongly considering mobile using one of these trailers so I need to make a decision soon. Having a shop is still an option but it seems that there is so much more overhead with a shop than mobile.
                          I have a GT Trailer and LOVE the 5x8 size. Everything is right in reach and easy to keep it clean and sanitary. (Important for me and my clients) It is very professional looking and I do get alot of calls from being seen on the streets- people tell me how professional and adorable it looks... they WANT their pet groomed in it. I got mine summer 2006 and know I made the best choice for me.

Comment

Trailer sizes

I've worked and owned 4 different size trailers. Although I don't have any experience with RightLook or GT, I have owned a 5'x8' and it worked for me for 3 years ( I'm little though, only 5 feet even )... a little cramped, but was just happy to be my own boss and low startup cost.

I think if you're starting out, it's okay to start little, smaller monthly payments equals less stress when trying to learn the business. Once your business is booming, you can always upgrade.

The one thing I don't like about smaller trailers is that I can't easily walk around the table to scissor the dog and have a nice clear view from all angles. The good things about smaller trailers is that there is less wear and tear on your towing vehicle, they are easier to maneuver and park if you're not used to towing, and less to keep clean.

I've grown accustomed to a larger 7' x 12' now though, just feels like a mini art studio plus I can use it to go camping. But the main thing is that the neighborhoods that I service have HUGE WIDE streets and driveways with no problems parking whatsoever ... Make sure you consider your parking choices at your clients homes before you invest.

Comment

i love my trailer...

I agree with Pinkpoodle, I purchased an Ambers Mobile Pet Salon in May of 06 and i love it. Her signature model is roomy enough for two groomers and plenty of big dogs (if need be). It's also easy to manuever. I'm actually getting ready to upgrade to her '07 model. I believe they do have financing available ....

You should check her website...ambersmobilepetsalons.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X