Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What To Do About 3 Jumping Dogs On My Legs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Do About 3 Jumping Dogs On My Legs!!!

I put this topic in Mobile because I think it is a Mobile groomer problem. I go to the door, they open it and this time I get 3 mini Schnauzers jumping up at my poor legs with their nails! OUCH! I say ouch and they don't get them off me. She said they are not used to a lot of visitors...I guess not. The husband just sat and watched the movie on tv! I did a great job...they were happy. BUT I dread another leg attack. It really hurts. What can A groomer do?This often happens as a mobile. One is bad two worse, 3 killed me!! Each time I took one back and got the next---leg attack. Not the wrap around, they were girls. Just jump up and nail digging into my legs. I did suggest putting all but the one in another room. No response. Hubby was not available....never budged.Nice people but geesh.

obviously they're just going too long between appointments

i must just be crazy cause i'd take all 3 or at least 2 out to get started. maybe get some cookies and school em a lil while you groom cause mom an dad aren't listening.

if that doesn't work just show up in some nice leather chaps they might get the hint then

Comment

Two things come to mind: (1) wear long pants (I wear jeans and then a pair of acrylic groom pants over my jeans (shorts in the summer months); and (2) I would have taken all three dogs in the van at the same time. Saves time: (i) not going back and forth switching dogs out; (ii) all three dogs get bathed in the tub together; and (iii) two wet dogs are sitting on towels in the tub air drying while I work on one. As I finish them they nap on a clean towel on the floor. Also, the dogs are usually calmer when their "pack" is together.

Comment

I don't allow any dogs to jump on me. If they start, I shove them down and say no off. If you neel down they can't get your legs. Best to ignore them and shove them off until they settle. You could also tell the owner when you call to confirm their next appt. to have them all on a leash when you arrive that way they can't jump
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

In my fantasy I'd like to walk into the house with my spray bottle full of water. Just try it, you schnauzers! LOL They probably do this to everybody that walks in the front door. How annoying is that.
          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thanks, I'll suggest that next time.

The keeping the pack together, sounds professional. I usually have the client take the dog out and then I bring it back. I just don't want anyone getting away and running down the street. I can't run. I know you have to be careful with two or three, not to get tangled up in the leashes. Small, but too big to carry. It is already hot here and next visit, it will be really hot. I want to save time, for sure. The generator has to stay on all day with the A/C on til last dog. Here, in the heat of summer, many dogs don't get dry because they feel cooler being damp, if they are not haircut dogs;otherwise drying is necessary to trim properly. Natch, Schnauzers dry fast and any shaved dog.

Comment

Now, now, not just Schnauzers....

It is many dogs, not just jumping Schnauzers. How stupid of me to just stand there and not kneel down to their level. I don't wear jeans because when I have the get wet and heavy. It is too hot for them. I wear stylist wear brite cokored nylon (can't breathe) scrubs type sets. You can feel the nails right thru them. In tyhe van, I wear my apron to keep the CV from sucking in fabric and making holes.Most dogs eithwr make me deaf or jump and bark. A few are quiet and just wag tails and are happy to see me.I think it is safer to have trhe owner carry the dog to the van. The dog knows mom/dad put them there and the owner can see my nice van, equipment and all the hanging scissors looks professional.IMO Schnauzers can be a pain. Jax is a Real Pain...my hand woke me up at 3:30, so here I am at 5:52AM. My hand is so stiff from the bite. I took the bandage off to flex it. I may have to put everyone off for a day. I've the the morning antibiotics in me early.Hands sure are important when you realize how hard they work.

Comment

I remember working at a doggie daycare. When I had to to into the daycare area to get a dog who was to be groomed before going home, I would get attacked by all the dogs with their killer nails.

I feel your pain, because dogs who are desperate for attention insist on scratching legs for it, and that really does hurt. I also wore only nylon grooming pants, that's all I can wear- or scrub type pants. I hate wearing jeans while grooming.

I think that the people were rude not to stop the dogs or try to intercept. I think I would ask politely that they get them separated and stop them.

I have a lhasa male who insists on riding my leg. I hate that, and the lady is close to 80 so she just screams at him. that does nothing at all, I have to stop him myself because he digs his claws into my legs. Some people can be so simple.

Comment

Tell the owner's the first thing you're going to do is file their nails, LOL.

I sympathize with you. Today I got my neck clawed by a Wire Fox Terrier. OUCH. Put me in kind of a bad mood which in turn made the dog harder to work with as she was in a bad mood too after that. lol

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                    Tell the owner's the first thing you're going to do is file their nails, LOL.

I sympathize with you. Today I got my neck clawed by a Wire Fox Terrier. OUCH. Put me in kind of a bad mood which in turn made the dog harder to work with as she was in a bad mood too after that. lol

Tammy in Utah
                    Tammy, I get my neck scratched so often, I think that I am desensitized in that area, lol. Several times now I have come home, and someone will go, oh my gosh, what happened to your neck! And I'll have scratches from a dog I won't even remember getting!
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I would not be shy about correcting the dogs in front of the client. Tell the dogs no an push them off your leg or move toward them in a menacing manor. Or I always ask my self WWCD? what would Ceasar do? lol SHHH! Make the dogs give you your space. It will be harder with three but just do the same thing with all 3 usually once one backs off they all will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
                        I usually have the client take the dog out and then I bring it back. I just don't want anyone getting away and running down the street. I can't run. I know you have to be careful with two or three, not to get tangled up in the leashes. Small, but too big to carry.
                        I will take all 3 dogs (cocker, gold. retriever & chow beagle mix at one household) on kennel leads into the house. The kennel lead is a choker on one end, so the dogs can not escape. I will not transport a dog using its collar & leash. (I even bought a large supply of kennel leads with my business name and phone number on them --- handed them out to customers at Christmas time.) If I have a couple of large breeds, I will slide one lead through the handle of the other lead when I walk the dogs ... works great.

Comment

Talk to the owners

I would be honest w/the owners next time they call for an appt. Tell them that your legs were pretty scratched up w/the three of them jumping on you at once and you have a hard time healing (didn't you say your are diabetic). Ask them if they can have two of the dogs in "put up" when you come to the door so you only have to deal w/one at a time. If you want to take all three to your van at once, tell the owner your plan and ask for help so there is less risk of an escape artist. Good luck. I hate having my legs scratched up so I feel your pain.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

No I am NOT diabetic.

No, diabetic here. I just hate the jumping and digging nails into my legs. I am used to bruises, cuz dogs just jump up saomertimes . My boys are too old now, but halle has.I will just ask her to keep one out and the other two in another room. I don't want 3 in my van at once. Today I put two in at one time...He wasn't in thew way, but I didn't save time. It is HOT now and I left unhooked in the tub...(he would not jump out) while I took one back. I use kennel leads, not harnesses or leashes dog owns.Next two dogs, I did one then the other.

Comment

Working...
                            X