Portable Air condtioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Air condtioners

Has anyone considered using a portable air conditioning unit in their rig instead of the roof mounted units? I have seen some that ffer cooling, fan, heat, and dehumidifier all in one. The price is reasonable and they appear easy to set up and use.
    Michael

No.......

I hadn't considered it- until now.lol I am in the process of refitting an RV for mobile, think I'll check that option out! I think alot of mobiles may not have the extra space to set one up, though I could be wrong.

Comment

portable ac

I tried using the portable,it did'nt work very well in the van not like it does in a room at all.Later i figured out why.It uses water it takes out of the air to help get rid of heat by running this water over the heated coils with a pump that showers the hot coils.The spray bar "had" really tiny holes which get clogged quick in a grooming environment.The design is pretty unique or it was back when the french company started it.Some units do not work that way and are just compact ac units.So you might want to look closely and ask lots of questions before buying one and putting it in a van.The best part of the entire experience was taking it all apart.It had a lot of parts,I even put most of them back after cleaning it out and it still works fine.I think it is called a lanquini.
      Now the newer home window units make use of the waste water they collect the same way which seems to cut the energy use by half.Roof units don't do that and they probably never will do that cause if that idea worked the rv industry would already be doing it lol.They are after all the cutting edge of being last.

Comment

One of our trucks has had a portable AC unit in it for almost 3 yrs. It does a good job and only pulls 6 amps. Cost about 4-450. DH pulled out the front cargo divider door and secured the unit into the opening so it doesn't take up any grooming floor space.

Don't buy a swamp cooler type like Doug described if your area has any humidity..it won't work. Get a regular AC unit.

Comment

portable units

the ones that I looked at online actually had either one or two exhaust ducts to be vented outside. The ones that also offered dehumidifying had a resevoir that needed to be emptied or it could be piped directly outside. They are also caled drip free or drip less A/C units. I actualy got the idea from reading the website of gryphon trailers. Theirs actually looks like an ordinary window unit though. Haven't tracked that style down just yet.
          Michael

Comment

Hello Doug.

My name is Joe from Phoenix, AZ. I see your name often mentioned as a "go-to" man. Are you a groomer or do you build rigs? Presently I have a 23' RV. It's 10yrs old and starting to show it's age, but we're stuck with each other for a while. Anyway, just wanted to say hello.

joe the groomer!

Comment

Originally posted by Puppy Love Express View Post
              the ones that I looked at online actually had either one or two exhaust ducts to be vented outside. The ones that also offered dehumidifying had a resevoir that needed to be emptied or it could be piped directly outside. They are also caled drip free or drip less A/C units. I actualy got the idea from reading the website of gryphon trailers. Theirs actually looks like an ordinary window unit though. Haven't tracked that style down just yet.
              Michael
              Hey Michael, sounds similiar to ours but even our plain jane portable AC (no heat or deh) has a reservoir that periodically needs emptied if it's not direct drained.

The exhaust ducts are *huge*. DH ran it between the cabin seats and out the passenger vent window. These small units wouldn't work well in temps over 100 I don't think but are good enough in 80-90 degree temps and high humidity if your truck has adequate insulation.

What is most appealing about the portable AC (besides the cold air <g>) is that the truck isn't top heavy like they are with roof air....much more stable while driving.

Comment

hi joe /katydid

yes both.I like grooming dogs,it's people that own them that are sometimes a source of agrivation I could do with out.Building is fun as long as it not every day. Long term testing requires a lot of time. I guess i am lucky to be a possition to do both even if it doesnt always feel that way.

Katydid I dont have a swamp cooler,the roll about is a real air conditioner/dehimidifier. It was or is not a very good air conditioner because it shares the air it passes over both heat exchanger coils.With out the water dripping over the hot coil it would not be low power consuming.Then it would suck power and eggs.It is a long way from a normal roof or window unit.The exhaust hose gets scary hot. I gave up on it a long time ago.It would make a monster dehumidifier for a shop bathing room.

Comment

Hi I had purchased a portable a/c unit from homedepot it cost about 150 bucks and you had to add water to it.To say the least it did not do the job.We ended up just using it to cool a room in our home instead.We also tried to go the cheap route.We eventually got a new van with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Lord have mercy, Doug, thank heavens we bought a portable that actually works. It was pure luck and an impulse buy, I'll admit. I described how you took yours apart and why to my husband, he laughed and said something like: "He toucha my air conditioner--I breaka his arm--it works!"

But you're definitely not kidding about the heat coming out of the exhaust...passerbys could get singed eyebrows if they walk too close.

Comment

Working...
                    X