Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if i hurt a dog as a mobile groomer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if i hurt a dog as a mobile groomer?

I want to go into mobile grooming one day but my biggest fear is nikking a dog, then not knowing what to do. I mean what if i cut a dogs eye or tongue do i pay for it will i get sued? I have never hurt a dog badly before, i think because i always either worked in a vet clinic or by one at petsomething. I always had a safety net but i'm afraid i will mess up because i don't have one around. Does anyone else have a fear like this? I've seen some other groomers do some bad things like chop off the end of a dogs tail before. I'm just scared ....... any advice? Does insurance cover dog damage done by me???

You should have insurance that covers any accidents that are your fault. And yes if it's truly your fault and requires medical attention you should at least offer to pay for it. If you have a minor booboo some times the owner will just say don't worry about it. If it's something as bad as cutting a tail off then you would obviously have to get them to a vet right away and pay the bill.

You should set up some degree of relationship with vets in the areas you will be working so forbid should you have an emergency will know the closest and best place to bring the animal
    Also to remember to get in writing from all new clients permission to have their animal treated should any emergency situation arise.

Comment

You have to make sure your insurance policy covers this. Accidents happen. You are working on a moving target. I am supplied with a medical kit and lots of quick stop lol. No different than working in a shop.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

You can't worry too much about this. The more you worry about it the more likely it is to happen.

In so far 3 years of mobile grooming, I have nicked one dog badly enough to require a visit to the vet. It was a badly matted poodle. The people didn't even want to take it to the vet because they are neglectful....but it had to go. I think it needed several stitches. I however had them sign a statement saying since the dog was so matted I would not be responsible for any injuries...and I am glad I did. They never called me back, but I would not have gone anyway considering the condition of their poodles....yes, plural.

I have nicked an ear and nicked an eyelid and cut a pad...all minor injuries and after assessing they were minor finished the groom and told the owners about them. Told them if they needed vet attention to call me and I would pay for it. None of them sought attention.

Most of my clients are home when I groom their dogs. Therefore, it is safe to say that they will be the ones taking the dog to the vet should things go awry. If they are not home, you need to know where to take the dog. I use the CV almost exclusively and I believe this really reduces the chances of a cut or nick happening from the clippers. Unless you have a high rate of injuries in general, you shouldn't worry about this aspect too much.

Comment

Good to have liability

insurance. If you've been grooming long, you would know the likelyhood. Like fur elite said, the owners are most often home, so how much better can you get? The quiet, one on one, and for me non-hurried atmosphere makes danger to dogs so unlikely. I do sometimes think as I'm being very very careful in the loin, under arm etc. that it is possible I'm one nick away from losing a customer. I hope that wouldn't be so. But yep liability for anything serious - real or perceived to be caused by you. Not expensive IMO at all. I would always offer vetting and covering it if I caused any problem. Like thee Helly says, if people get a little cut, nick, scrape they don't run to the doctor, don't think the people need to rush their dog in for a widdle cut. They just need to keep an eye on it in case of possible infection.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

"You can't worry too much about this. The more you worry about it the more likely it is to happen. "

This statement is so true! This goes for dog bites too!...AND cutting yourself! I've probably cut myself almost as often as I have a client's dog. Both stink equally but I'd definately take the wounds myself than have to swallow hard and tell a client that I nicked their dog....no fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TinksDad View Post
              "You can't worry too much about this. The more you worry about it the more likely it is to happen. "

This statement is so true! This goes for dog bites too!...AND cutting yourself! I've probably cut myself almost as often as I have a client's dog. Both stink equally but I'd definately take the wounds myself than have to swallow hard and tell a client that I nicked their dog....no fun!!!
              Lol, you are so right! I have many scars on my hands from grooming, and half ARE probably from me cutting myself!
              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
              X