Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy slicker brush!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holy slicker brush!

    I don't have any fancy slickers, just the Paw Brothers brand, but let me tell you I have fallen in love with using them in a new way. As recommended by folks here, I have been using it on double coats with conditioner on the coat...oh my! Not just double coats, but lhasas and schnauzers and maltese and everything else! I use a lot of conditioner now, but it is soooooooo much easier on me and the dog and sooooo fast! I just massage it in straight and gently brush with the lay of the hair, the small mats and undercoat just glide out. I spend way less time brushing them out after they are blowdried. I may sound like I am behind the times, but before, I rarely used conditioner...by the way, they smell great afterward and don't take forever to try like I thought they would! (ps, I am often doing a vinegar rinse after the shampoo, before the conditioner). At first, all of this was adding time to my grooms, but now, I am faster than before because I have made it a routine. Thanks so much to everyone! Once again, this board has really made my work easier and more enjoyable!

  • #2
    I have to try that... my lhasas never look as good as i would like

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PAWS View Post
      I don't have any fancy slickers, just the Paw Brothers brand, but let me tell you I have fallen in love with using them in a new way. As recommended by folks here, I have been using it on double coats with conditioner on the coat...oh my! Not just double coats, but lhasas and schnauzers and maltese and everything else! I use a lot of conditioner now, but it is soooooooo much easier on me and the dog and sooooo fast! I just massage it in straight and gently brush with the lay of the hair, the small mats and undercoat just glide out. I spend way less time brushing them out after they are blowdried. I may sound like I am behind the times, but before, I rarely used conditioner...by the way, they smell great afterward and don't take forever to try like I thought they would! (ps, I am often doing a vinegar rinse after the shampoo, before the conditioner). At first, all of this was adding time to my grooms, but now, I am faster than before because I have made it a routine. Thanks so much to everyone! Once again, this board has really made my work easier and more enjoyable!
      Oh yeah! this is the best way to get those knots out easily. no brush burn, cause it brushes right out. sometimes I'll shampoo them and spray them with some mat magic too and then brush and rinse out. that works too, if they're not as matted and then you save alittle time rinsing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Good idea

        Imagine how well it will work with my Les Pooch! I will try that. As mobile, time is money. Next best thing to a groom-a-matic I hope.Seems to me Tropiclean de mat cond slows the drying process, or am I impatient?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mustluvdogs1 View Post
          Imagine how well it will work with my Les Pooch! I will try that. As mobile, time is money. Next best thing to a groom-a-matic I hope.Seems to me Tropiclean de mat cond slows the drying process, or am I impatient?
          some of them definitely do slow drying.

          Comment


          • #6
            Paws, am I understanding this right? When you are done bathing and after your vinegar rinse you put on the conditioner and brush them at that time. Then you rinse the conditioner off and HV them dry.

            Today I did my pom, she should have been done months ago. She had so much dead hair on her we were able to see where she had been, left clumps of behind. I let her sit in conditioner while I groomed one of my appointments. When I was done with the appt. dog I got my little pom and rinsed her off and then HVed her. I could see the coat just sliding right out of her, but what you posted is I should have brushed her while she was sitting in the conditioner and it would have been better for her and me. I'm going to have to try this the next time I do one of these double coated dogs.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

            Comment


            • #7
              i know the aloe conditioner i used while working at the groomer DID leave the dogs with a slimey feeling...almost like they werent completely dried...so it was kind of difficult for ME to tell when they were compeltely dry so it was more of a take a guess kinda thing...also it made their hair kinda slippery...kinda gross actuallY! lol!
              but i can see where that would help with longer haired or double coated breeds.
              Hound

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                Paws, am I understanding this right? When you are done bathing and after your vinegar rinse you put on the conditioner and brush them at that time. Then you rinse the conditioner off and HV them dry.

                Today I did my pom, she should have been done months ago. She had so much dead hair on her we were able to see where she had been, left clumps of behind. I let her sit in conditioner while I groomed one of my appointments. When I was done with the appt. dog I got my little pom and rinsed her off and then HVed her. I could see the coat just sliding right out of her, but what you posted is I should have brushed her while she was sitting in the conditioner and it would have been better for her and me. I'm going to have to try this the next time I do one of these double coated dogs.
                That is correct. You also blow less dead coat around, because you already brushed a TON of it out and left it in the tub. I use D Mat by the way. It rinses very well and doesn't leave them greasy or slow drying. Keep in mind, I don't use it sparingly, I BUTTER them up! PS, after brushing an area, I squeegee the excess D Mat and put it somewhere else on the dog. When I pull the clumps from my slicker, I squeeze the clumps over the dog to re-use it, too! I usually do all this brushing using the line brushing technique, as you would dry.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I once years ago, had a lady complain about......

                  Coat Handler conditioner, which IMO is one of the best conditioners ever, The dog was soft and silky, she said it was greasy. Not at all true. She also didn't like the clean, natural fragrance. Anyone who has used it knows it is not greasy. Some people are odd.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hmmmmmm I will have to give this a try. I do the "wet" brushing already, but have only done it on really dirty dogs or dogs w/lots of undercoat and I do it w/the shampoo on. I will have to give this a whirl!! Thanks for sharing your results. Like you this is why I love this board. Lots of new things learned almost every day!
                    SheilaB from SC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We do this on many double coat breeds but haven't tried it on all dogs. What we do and this may help with the drying process is after you rinse out the conditioner, towel dry, then spray with Davis' quick dry... one of my bathers has threatened to quit if I ever stop buying quick dry:-)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Works well on all short hair breeds like Labs. I also use my Furminator in this fasion with shampoo in the coat or conditioner. Whatever works.
                        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I love this trick for labs! What I still struggle with, is the loooong coats, like Chows, Collies, Keeshods, etc. that is STILL a pain in the butt to brush out...easier than dry, but still a lot of work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            my 2 cents

                            I spray on a light mist of demat spray first in the tub, wait a few seconds.Pour deluted shampoo on with a squirt type bottle work it in to the coat.Then lightly brush over lightly one time.Then condition on top of that sometimes wait till a period of time has passed if it is a medicated shampoo. Then fire up the recirculator and flood the hair with water and brush very lightly never hitting the skin with the brush.The water helps lift (float) the hair up and all the products help to let the offending coat or mats slide out.
                            There is no hair bowing off from the hv when the drying starts.It's all in the tub. Not having to dry the shedding hair cuts down on the time to dry by about 25 %. Sometimes more. Finish off with some pansie type spray and collect you tip. Hot water by the way causes hair to relax. Like fluff drying with heat enables you to straighten hair. It is the time between it being pulled straight while hot and relaxed to the time it cools and hopefully is still straight which is much like tempering bamboo or steel.It hardens or becomes stiff after it cools keeping it stright.Or if you screw up,anything but straight.
                            Use the water hot to help release the knots and prevent broken and damaged ends from brushing.That way it wont be knotted the next time as much.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I do this on Furminator dogs. For some of them, it really helps get a ton of hair out before it blows all over.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X