conversion quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion quest

hmmm...As the slush falls from the sky and i drink my hot tea to warm my hands I ponder the thought.... Okay Ill stop. Really, my husband wants to do the van or rv conversion himself. Yes he has asked me to check in rv's. A Chinook to be specific. Isn't that salmon? Anyways, what are your thoughts on doing it yourself versus purchasing the complete package?

Do-it-yourself

You know we had that same question. I had the RV sitting in the back yard, paid for, just sitting...

Do I want a bells and whistles rig, that I have to make big payments on, have high insurance...at my age...If I were 20 years yonger...maybe?

No, we researched all the options and went with the antique in the back yerd. I have not been unhappy with it, but I still look wistfully at the new Sprinter 's...Oh well.

For a look at how we did mine, go to my web site... pamsbubblemobile.com or look on the album's here. We used an Inverter system, placing it stratigically where 2 large people were suppose to ride in the RV (batteries weight in at what 2 large bodies would weigh, LOL) DH made my tub out of and old RV Shower tub and stall, bondo, and such...turned out very nice for what I wanted.

It really depends on what you want, and if you have a handy-fix-it-guy. Also look at the Inverter topic...lots of good info for either generator or inverter , or combo of both, Curtis and Doug are really presenting some open ideas about power sources.

Comment

Originally posted by allison View Post
      hmmm...As the slush falls from the sky and i drink my hot tea to warm my hands I ponder the thought.... Okay Ill stop. Really, my husband wants to do the van or rv conversion himself. Yes he has asked me to check in rv's. A Chinook to be specific. Isn't that salmon? Anyways, what are your thoughts on doing it yourself versus purchasing the complete package?
      Chinooks are nice! Of course, the groomers with commercial vans will tell you they love their already done rigs, and us DIY people will tell you we wouldn't have it any other way. Ain't we helpful? I will tell you regardless of what you do don't get stuck with a $$$ sucking generator. Get an inverter system.

I think what it comes down to is $$$$. Do you want big payments or not? If you do go the already done route, make sure to calculate what the loan will actually cost you in terms of interest and everything. Then see if it is worth it to you. Good luck! We had a grand old time converting my truck.

Comment

Do it yourself

Hi, I have a shuttle bus that we converted ourselves. If your husband is handy it shouldn't be much of a problem, and if you have any questions post them here and someone will get back to you.

Comment

Chinook

I saw one of those at the beach the other day. They have an E350 and dually tires. I was really really looking at it. This would be the PERFECT auto for mobile...PERFECT!!!!!!!!! And theyre so cute! Perfect size! Go for it!!! Seriously, this will be my next mobile. Right now I'm using an old college shuttle bus, its nice and roomy and bright. We converted it ourselves, my boyfriend, son and I. We had to hire an electrician is all. There is one person on here that had converted a motorhome. I can't think of who it is, but hers is soooooo prettty, she even has fresh flowers in there. Do a search on here, there are alot of other threads on this subject..
          Good LUCK!

Comment

Thank you!

Im new to this forum and Im just thrilled that you have replied and that everyone is interested and willing to help out!!! Gosh, I thought I was alone on this adventure. Mobile is not a common service in these parts and there is literally no one to talk to about it.......except the competition. There are only two in the area by the way. Thank you and I will definately ask questions and post my progress along to way.

Comment

RV pros and cons

I have an RV that was converted 10 years ago. It has worked out well for the most part, but now that the plumbing is wearing out and the floor had to be replaced (because of the plumbing) and the generator is dead (for 6 years now) I decided to look at a new Sprinter or an Elite.
              RV upside: lots of space, you can get an RV loan with a longer term (15 yrs) and lower payments, and I have my own toilet!
              RV downside: that low payment 15 year loan means I have about $20,000 still owed on an RV that may only fetch (no pun intended) about $4000 in resale, carpet (yuck!), generator, and the existing plumbing and wiring were never meant for the loads put upon them.
              Have you looked at used pre-built?
              Good Luck!
              Yoshi

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Talk to your local mobiles! If they're anything like most mobile groomers they'll offer tons of help and good advice.

DIY mobile is *extremely* cost effective and the truck will be exactly what _you_ want. Love, love, love the Chinooks, my first self convert looked almost exactly like one and I still miss it to this day!

Comment

I used to work for Melissa Verplank("Notes" author) and years ago she did her own conversions, but says she'd never do it again. Her hubby has wnt and so do I

Comment

Working...
                  X