discharging of gray tank water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discharging of gray tank water

I live in the state of Connecticut. What is the proper method of discharging gray tank water and legal answers only please.
    Thank you very much for your help.

6 years when i first was getting started i contacted the dep in regards to disposing of gray water. they sent me a book, that i still have somewhere that basically required a phd to read. i contacted them by phone and when i explained that i was dumping gray water from a grooming facility, they didn't care. i dump mine on my property. the grass to be specific. in the summer, i will dump at each location because otherwise by the end of the day, it stinks.
    hope this helps
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

i asked one of our city workers and he said that i can dump it in my grass or in my property but not on city streets so i chose to dump it in the grass and our grass is always green i guess just ask someone in your city and see what they say.

Comment

I just let it drip out where ever I am grooming. I usually park in the street so no one even notices. I don't let it drip when I am driving. I've been told the grey water is very diluted because I use a bathing system and because I use all natural products it is pretty harmless. I also empty on my lawn in the summer. No problems whatsoever.
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Is this ok?

Originally posted by Rebekah View Post
          I live in the state of Connecticut. What is the proper method of discharging gray tank water and legal answers only please.
          Thank you very much for your help.
          I am not sure if this is bad, but I dispose of the gray water at Walmart and other local stores that have those sewer grates in the parking lot. I too use all natural products. Although, since I have been doing it at Walmart there have been signs posted that say that there are cameras in the parking lot. Is this bad? Could I get into trouble? I have no other place to get rid of it.

Comment

I only hold my grey water when it is below freezing. I have a bypass valve that empties right out the bottom of the trailer. So normally I empty the same spot that I am grooming lol. Walmart has had those cameras for years. They were having carjackings and such, so they put them in. When I used my grey tank I go to the local do it yourself car wash and empty there. I figure they are dumping soapy water there, so why not me.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Gray Water

Some of the Mobilers I know will dump thier gray water in the car wash bay when they rinse off. Otherwise, we dump ours in the yard

Comment

I don't dump in public places because i don't want the owners to call the police. i personally wouldn't want another business dumping water at my location. each state may have different ordinances. i would check. highway rest stops usually have some sort of dumping facility for travelers.
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I believe the only time there is a problem with just dumping the grey tank "anywhere" is when you're using the anti-freeze system.... I believe THEN you have to go to an RV-dumping site....

Comment

When I got my first van, a man from the DEP came to buy a puppy from us. I was concerned because the van didn't have a grey tank. He said not to dump into the storm drains, that goes right into the water supply. He said it was better to just drain onto the road because then the water would evaporate. I am on my 3rd van and I have never had a grey tank. I have a deep tub with a grate so if I don't want to drain onto my customers driveway I just stop up the tub. Then I drain when I leave and am driving down the road. Of course occassionally I get the phone call when I get home that something is leaking from my van.

Comment

I also dump at car washes, I just drive by when I'm done w/the day spray off the bus and dump.

Comment

Ok, so what do you guys do to clean your gey tanks?
                        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

My wife has a WNT van and she dumps on our property.

I work full time as a civil engineer where I design residential, commerical, and industrial business complexs. When you dump your grey water in your yard, street, or commercial property, it generally goes to the same place. Your yard is graded so all water goes to the street and then goes into the storm sewer or runs directy into a storm sewer in the easement of your property if access to the street is not available due to grading conditions. If you dump in a commercial place such as walmart or car wash, guess what, it goes to the same place, the storm sewers. Everything outside goes into storm sewers. Everything from your home or business plumbing goes into Sanitary Sewers. Sanitary sewers are, in most villages, treated prior to being dumped and the Storm sewers generally dump directly to a nearby creek, river, or pond without being treated.

The point is that no matter where you dump, it goes into the nearby storm sewer. Since there is no harsh chemicals used and most of it is completely all natural, there is nothing wrong with doing this. It's the same as washing your car in your driveway and letting the water run down into the storm sewer.

Personally, I would dump on my own property, just because nobody else can say anything about it. If you dump on someone else's property you could get in trouble and might have to prove that what you were dumping is harmless. I'd avoid the headaches

It is still best to check with your village to find out, just to be safe.

Comment

set your discharge for a garden hose.

If you set your drain up so a garden hose can be attached, you can run the water to many places around your yard to water your plants, grass, schrubs etc.
                            It will be a little slower than the RV Dump ports(4") but there is no law anywhere that I know of that will not allow you to water your personal plants with soapy, organic enriched water.

Avoid dumping in the same spot to prevent water logging the area and to eliminate odor issues. Avoid dumping down your driveway as we have read postings about people getting in trouble after neighbors complain to the city about water going across the entrance of the neighbors driveway.

But always check locally to make sure you will be ok.
                            If you can't water your lawn with it, have a plumber extend one of your sewer clean-outs to above ground and put a removable cap on it so you can run the water from the hose directly to sewer.

Curtis

Comment

in regards to cleaning the gray tank. i will close it off and add about a 1/8 tank of fresh water to it and add a gallon of vinegar. drive around the block a couple of times to swish it around and drain it.

Comment

Working...
                              X