Generator question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator question....

I was wondering if any of you keep your generator going all day. I groom from 6 - 8 dogs a day and I shut it down after every dog, then restart it when I get to the next appointment. Is this the right way? Can you drive the van with the generator going? I have a Wag-n-Tails conversion van and I've been doing it this way for 4 years now. I never thought to ask the old owner.

I was told that if you have less than 15 minutes between dogs that it was better to leave the generator running than turning it off (I was told this at my WNT orientation), longer than that turn it off. I do have one house that has 12 dogs. I'm usually there from 9-4 and the generator runs continuously. Yes, it is OK to drive with the generator on.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I only leave it on if I am moving less than 2 miles, and only on city streets. (No Freeway). Other than that I turn it off between appointments.

Comment

i generally will turn it off between dogs unless 1. it's the neighbor next door dog or 2. it is obscenely cold . my thoughts are that the generator is under warranty for 2000 hours. you can spend 25% of that time running and not using it. onan is a real stickler for not covering anything over that 2000 hour mark
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Pretty much the same as furry for me, but my rule of is 30 minutes or more between appts and it goes off. I find that my generator is prone to stalling out upon restart if there is less time than 30 minutes...no clue why but that is what it does. It starts again, but i have to wait a few minutes and that makes me uncomfortable. Also, if it is in the middle of summer and 100 degrees outside, there is always the danger of it not restarting due to the heat if it hasn't cooled down enough. I prefer to have my schedule really tight so that i have no more than 10 minutes between appts. I hate being in the gray area. Most of my clients live within 2-5 minutes from each other and now that I am booked up solid I often don't have the gaps to turn it off anymore anyway.

Comment

I have a 2006 wnt and was told during my orientation to turn it off between dogs unless they were neighbors. I was also told that turning it off and on doesn't effect the life of the generator. I'm not about to run it all day and add up extra hours and needing to service it more often. Not to mention that gas is expensive enough, no reason to use more than necessary.

Comment

My general rule of is if more than 30 min between appts, I shut it off. However, in summer months since I am in Texas and keeping the van cool is hard enough with the dryer on and off all day, I keep it running the whole day. I do schedule tighter in summer months too though so it is rarely actually running more between appts than it would be normally.
              I have driven with mine running in rain, (though I do try not to) and have never had a problem with my generator and it has nearly 5000 hours on it and runs like new.

Comment

Working...
              X