IDIOT mobile groomer here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDIOT mobile groomer here!

I can't believe how dumb I was today! It was incredibly cold and windy here today (8 degrees with wind chill of -14). I groomed my first two dogs on the top of a windy mountain. The van was a rockin', felt like it was going to tip over. I arrived at my next stop and the generator wouldn't start, it would turn over, but then stall and the lights were blinking. I thought it was blinking 3, but then figured out later it was blinking 4 (needs service vs. overcrank). Scared the heck out of me, the darn thing only has 883 hours on it. So, I couldn't groom the dogs (or so I thought), so I just brushed them out, trimmed their nails, did their ears and rescheduled them. Turns out it was just the wind and the cold. I went to the place where I have my oil changed and they let me park it in their truck bay for awhile, and it started right up.

So, here's the idiot thing. I called my husband afterwards to tell him what had happened. HIs response?

"Why didn't you just plug in?" Whaaattttt! Why didn't I think of that. So I lost payment on two dogs because the thought of pluggin in didn't even enter my mind.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................... ..........

Other than that...things are great. lol
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

It's easy to forget that you can plug in when you usually don't.
    I live in an area where there is a lot of older houses and I am afraid I would blow circuits if I plug in so I never do.
    When it's super cold and the generator doesn't start right up, prime it a couple of times, wait about 5 minutes then try it again.
    I have 1800 hours on mine and it sometimes won't start right up when its below freezing.

Comment

Sounds like you're having a tough day! BTW where are the mountains in Ct...lol...Are you near Haddam?? My hubby and I are thinking about relocating back east.

Comment

What grade oil are they putting in your gene? I had a hard time getting the first start this morning, but it was just cauz the battery was soooo cold. Hey, we all had dumb days. I am sick as a dog today and had to shave 2 lab/sheps. They were so full of lines I almost didn't charge the lady lol. Changed my mind when she said how good they look.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Baddog....technically, I guess there are no mountains...lol....so I'll change it to high hills with no protection and lots of wind, lol! No, I'm not near Haddam, although I really wish I was out that way. I'm in the Waterbury area.

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
            I can't believe how dumb I was today! It was incredibly cold and windy here today (8 degrees with wind chill of -14). I groomed my first two dogs on the top of a windy mountain. The van was a rockin', felt like it was going to tip over. I arrived at my next stop and the generator wouldn't start, it would turn over, but then stall and the lights were blinking. I thought it was blinking 3, but then figured out later it was blinking 4 (needs service vs. overcrank). Scared the heck out of me, the darn thing only has 883 hours on it. So, I couldn't groom the dogs (or so I thought), so I just brushed them out, trimmed their nails, did their ears and rescheduled them. Turns out it was just the wind and the cold. I went to the place where I have my oil changed and they let me park it in their truck bay for awhile, and it started right up.

So, here's the idiot thing. I called my husband afterwards to tell him what had happened. HIs response?

"Why didn't you just plug in?" Whaaattttt! Why didn't I think of that. So I lost payment on two dogs because the thought of pluggin in didn't even enter my mind.

No.......... the real question is " why do you still live where it's 8' above, here in Tx. it's 72' sunny degrees.
            I'm originally from the Midwest, Feb. is the middle of winter, want to kill everyone, including yourself by now. ahahahah

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................... ..........

Other than that...things are great. lol
            No.......... the real question is " why do you still live where it's 8' above, here in Tx. it's 72' sunny degrees.
            I'm originally from the Midwest, Feb. is the middle of winter, want to kill everyone, including yourself by now. ahahahah

Comment

Uggghhh! It's not working. I went to go groom my 5:30 dog and it would start but then would stall 10 seconds later. I'll be at the Onan place for 7:00 tomorrow morning. Of course my first appointment is at 8:00 for 3 dogs...there's another 3, at least that I have to reschedule.

My husband and I have made a decision...Next year we are taking our vacation in January or February and going somewhere warm.

Maybe it will be Texas...and maybe we will stay.

Comment

i've been asking myself that very same question. when it is obscenely cold, i always keep something running. sometimes the heat from the engine exhaust is enough to get the genny up, but if not. i repeat the start with a break in between.
                Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

if it is stalling you are either too low on oil or your oil is too thick.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Brings back memories, A few months after my husband and I got married The Navy transfered us to Groton Ct. Mind you this kid was raised in San Francisco where it NEVER snows.. OK once in the 19 years I was there. My dad asked me why I was so excited and I said it was because it snows in the winter. So by the time we get transferred I'm 8 weeks pregnant. And Snow it did. So bad that it was the year that they shut down the whole state, highways and all. I hated it. Now my favorite saying is I like gong to the snow but I do not like it coming to me
                    I hope things warm up for you guys back east. I feel for you
                    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                    Nancy

Comment

Well, I'm back up and running. They had it taken care of in less than 2 hours. It turned out to be the brushes (they're not really brushes, but that's what they're called), One had worn down. The two metal parts make contact with the copper parts, something about not transfering electricity, and the geneartor knowing that and turning off. They said that sometimes they last forever, sometimes they wear down. They said they usually see those on the ones that are under the van. It was covered under warranty, so that was good. I religiously have an appointment every 4 weeks to have the oil changed and I top it every week, so I knew it wasn't the oil. My husband thought maybe a feul line problem. Thank goodness they were able to take me this morning. I was able to groom 2 dogs this morning, and now have 2 more...I have to schedule only 6 dogs now....ugghhh....6

Comment

Working...
                      X