Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cats?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cats?

    Those of you (mobile or not) who do cats ON YOUR OWN, how do you do it? We have a couple of cats that get shaved and they're all pretty "chill". I have a hard time getting them to roll on their sides and STAY there so I can shave their bellies and arm pits and such. I can't maneuver them one handed ans keep them there. Granted, right now, I have help at the shop, but when I go mobile (hopefully) I won't have that option. I certainly don't mind doing cats, but I need to know if it's doable on my own before I advertise that I will.

  • #2
    With the groomers helper professional set. Was getting killed and then Chuck showed me at the NW grooming show haow to safely do cats with the gh. Sold me IHe was out so I bought one as soon as I got home. They have a payment plan so it was great. I would NEVER do a cat with out it.....
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy

    Comment


    • #3
      I have been grooming cats for the past 15 yrs the trick to a smooth finish is keeping the skin pulled tight while shaving.as for a helping hand luckily I was born with 2 hands lol.I am my own helper.I found the use of a elizbeth collar to be very helpfull the type the vets office uses (disposable)these can be reused and is easily adjusted to fit each cat with just a shoe string or gause wrap.these also tend to be less stressfull on the cat compaired to a face muzzle.but both can be used on these very difficult pets.i tie cats in numberous ways ,really depending on each of the cats temperments.but for pet safety i use a soft lead and create a figure 8 harness the loops uner the armpits and across the shoulders this keeps the cat from wrestling his way off of the table then the regular noose is clipped to the lower part of the arm making it possible to lie down for grooming.I found a simple loop made with 2 zip ties on the lower half of the arm work well for attaching the noose clip.although the groomers helper may be a great device for those that dont have the extra cash or the desire to purchase one .its simple to create your own 3rd hand as described above.I have so many different techniques of restraining groom pets my coworkers now call me the bondage queen lol.
      but they are effective both groomer and pet freindly and safe.in 15 yrs I have been bitten although not seriously 3 times 2 of which have been by muzzled cats.for those really irate cats or senior cat clients which have not been groomed in some time skip the bath and do a simple groom be it brush out or shave this can reduce stress levels on both you and the pet I also dont discount for not bathing as cats do not nessesarily need to be bathed as they do groom themselves unlike dogs .and brushing is most important.I hope this helps.good luck

      Comment


      • #4
        I was going to suggest what Plush Puppy already said: The groomers helper.

        Tammy in Utah
        PS: Can't wait to hear all the cool news when you go mobile. What kind of vehicle will you be getting?
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
          I was going to suggest what Plush Puppy already said: The groomers helper.

          Tammy in Utah
          PS: Can't wait to hear all the cool news when you go mobile. What kind of vehicle will you be getting?
          I guesss I need to pay closer attention to Chuck's demos the next event I go to.

          As far as my original question, it was actually geared more toward tolerant cats, but how do you keep them still on their backs to cleanly get their bellies and underarms, etc. I usually end up needing another hand to open up their back legs.

          The vehicle I'm trying for? The Wnt Elite. Going for the gusto of course.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RevWind View Post
            I guesss I need to pay closer attention to Chuck's demos the next event I go to.

            As far as my original question, it was actually geared more toward tolerant cats, but how do you keep them still on their backs to cleanly get their bellies and underarms, etc. I usually end up needing another hand to open up their back legs.

            The vehicle I'm trying for? The Wnt Elite. Going for the gusto of course.
            Hey Dancin' girl!

            Ok, I pick the cat up by the scruff...leaving it's BACK feet standing on the table and shave up, just like a dog. OR, I'll hold the front legs sort of like a dog's and shave up, just like on the dogs---BUT---I use a clipper vac so that makes a HUUUUUUGE Difference. I'm sure your Wag N Tails ELITE will have one in it, so that problem is solved. If you don't already use a vac system, it makes grooming kitties sooooo much easier, you wont believe the difference.

            Getting them on their backs? I don't usually do that, it freaks them out to be on their backs and have their bellies shaved at the same time, so I hold the cat on it's side and pull out the back leg and shave what I can, etc...

            But the clipper vac will be most helpful.

            Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
              Ok, I pick the cat up by the scruff...leaving it's BACK feet standing on the table and shave up, just like a dog. OR, I'll hold the front legs sort of like a dog's and shave up, just like on the dogs---BUT---I use a clipper vac so that makes a HUUUUUUGE Difference. I'm sure your Wag N Tails ELITE will have one in it, so that problem is solved. If you don't already use a vac system, it makes grooming kitties sooooo much easier, you wont believe the difference.

              Getting them on their backs? I don't usually do that, it freaks them out to be on their backs and have their bellies shaved at the same time, so I hold the cat on it's side and pull out the back leg and shave what I can, etc...

              But the clipper vac will be most helpful.

              Tammy in Utah


              The CV doesn't freak the cats out? We have lose shop cats that come in and out of the shop and most of them bolt when the CV gets turned on. I've always used the Mosers. What blade do you use? I guess the regulator is open? I was supposed to have gotten a cat a couple of days ago, but it never came in. Maybe I'll try the CV if it does come in.

              Comment


              • #8
                Edited.
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:26 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  YUP

                  By the time I read most of these posts, I can only sit here and say, "yup" what they said,..lol...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Interview, Interview, Interview!

                    One of the most important things to remember if you are going to do cats on your own is to INTERVIEW your prospective client well. At least 40% of my clients are cats. I work all of these cats alone. I will not take on cats that cannot be easily handled by their owners. I will not groom feral cats. I will not groom excessively matted cats. I will not groom cats that are not up to date on their shots. I will not groom older cats that have never been groomed before. I will not groom cats on a once a year schedule.

                    As you can see, I have very specific criteria to fill in order to take on a new cat client. If the client fits my criteria, I will keep them on a regular, rotating schedule just like any of my dog clients are on. You have to keep in the back of your mind that there is a groomer for every animal out there, it just may not be you. Always remember that you can turn a prospective client away.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      barknpurr

                      I know it wasn't meant to be funny, but I laughed when I read "wont do feral cats".. who in their right mind would. What's funny is picturing the bathing process in a feral cat..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cat policy & holding position

                        I learned quickly to explain to clients over the phone that it isn't safe to groom a cat that is excessivly freaking out or upset or scratching and biting. So...I also explain to them that I have a minimum trip charge whether or not any grooming is performed on their cat. This is equal to about half of what I normally charge for a cat.

                        My "regular" cat clients are great and I know what to expect. But for new ones, I am always cautious and stress that some cats should just be groomed by a veterinary office.

                        Also I tell them, "It is my policy that cats don't get blown dry." This avoids a lot of problems as far as I've experienced. It seemed like too many cats use this time to pee and poop on my table!

                        Also, the way Tammy explained the holding positions - that's what I do...I try to get the privates and belly & chest FIRST because it seems most cats lose patience as the grooming progresses and then those areas are even more difficult. If you can get the little bugger to lay on his side, and then lift up a back leg one at a time, you can really get the inner legs and undercarraige areas nice and clean.

                        I don't normally use any type of harness on cats while they are on the table. In the bath I do, but then it comes off.

                        With only a few exceptions, I love grooming cats. They are some of my favorite regulars.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kim in SD View Post
                          I know it wasn't meant to be funny, but I laughed when I read "wont do feral cats".. who in their right mind would. What's funny is picturing the bathing process in a feral cat..

                          Laugh if you wil, but I have gotten a ton of calls - "I have this really CUTE cat that lives outside..."! No way!!! Could you imagine - that is a Splat cat if you ask me!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I got an odd request at the petsomething I worked at. "How do you keep an outdoor cat clean?" It was a mystery shopper and she wrote down that I was rude. Excuse me, but I was as polite (but direct) as I could possibly be at having been asked such a dumb question. My answer? Keep the cat inside...The whole store had a good laugh about my poor grade.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X