Has this happen to anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this happen to anyone else?

This morning I was on my way out the door when I got a phone cal from a lady wanting 2 border collies bathed Iwas going to be on the other side of town grooming but I said I'd fit her in after my 11 oclock appointment.I came by my house to call her tell her I was running a little late WELL the 2 phone numbers she left me were bogus Map quested the address it came up 15 miles from were she said she lived.Whats the matter with people and why in the world would someone do that.

your competiton is my guess...It's happend to me a few times...recently. Maybe a good idea to call back immediately after you make the appt. and verify ...?

Comment

That is terrible, but think of what we groomers went through before there were computers and caller ID. I remember years ago when we just took a customer 'at their word' for an appointment. Never called the phone number back and no-shows were a part of small business and just accepted. Today you call for a pizza and they have your life printed out in front of them.

Im sorry this happened to you, it could have been a random act of meanness or it could be a competitor, or teens playing a mean prank. Dont dwell on it for there are many mroe kind people in this world who will appreciate your service.

Comment

Anyone that would do that is really a sad excuse. I only had that happen once, about 2 weeks after I first started, and I have a feeling it was my old employer.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

That is really low if it was indeed your competitor. With two wrong numbers and wrong directions it does seem like more than a coincidence.

Don't let it get you down, any competitor who has that much time on their hands and who utilizes it doing such things won't be around for long!

Comment

Don't feel bad. I had one last week that gave me a number that was disconnected and the address she gave me was the mental hospital lol
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I never make same day appointments. For one thing, I seldom have the time to do that as I keep my days pretty fully booked weeks in advance. And the few times I tried to squeeze someone in quckly because they seemed so desperate, it never seemed to work out. I find that unless the client has to wait at least a week they don't tend to appreciate the service and the scheduling issues. At the moment unless they luck out and I call them because a regular had cancel they wait up to a month for their first appointment.

Aside from the psychology, not making same day appointments gives you the opportunity to Google their phone number and verify their address and make sure you have good directions to the house.

If something sounds a little "off" during the phone call I make an appointment to go meet them before I will actually groom the dog, perhaps after all my grooms for the day are done or even going on an evening or a weekend, when I don't normally work but don't mind doing a short interview. I'll do this for mixed breeds that the owner can't seem to describe to me so I can give them a realistic estimate, it also lets me see their housing and where I'll be parking. This is a good policy for those of you who work in or around dicey areas; you can have a companion along with you for the first meet and greet.

Meesh

Comment

I had a competitor try to mess with me when I first started. I had an ad for the bus. online and got this email from "an inquiring customer" wanting a dog done on a Sat. morning( my busiest day), and wanted to book it by email. I looked at the email address and recognized it as my competitor's. So I played along and told her she'd have to call me on the phone to book, and would have to do it TODAY, or no appointment. Of course she never called me, ha ha.

Comment

hee hee...the mental institution. Maybe they were trying to tell you something, lol
                  don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Originally posted by misscatahoula View Post
                    I had a competitor try to mess with me when I first started. I had an ad for the bus. online and got this email from "an inquiring customer" wanting a dog done on a Sat. morning( my busiest day), and wanted to book it by email. I looked at the email address and recognized it as my competitor's. So I played along and told her she'd have to call me on the phone to book, and would have to do it TODAY, or no appointment. Of course she never called me, ha ha.
                    Some people are not very intelligent---did they not realize that you might actually KNOW or recognize their email address? That's hilarious!

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
                      hee hee...the mental institution. Maybe they were trying to tell you something, lol
                      They won't let me in there. I am too crazy even for them lol
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                        Don't feel bad. I had one last week that gave me a number that was disconnected and the address she gave me was the mental hospital lol
                        LOL that was funny...im laughing so hard i almost fell out of my chair..heehhe..It might have been a mental patient who had a pretend dog..

Comment

I've always been upfront when calling other grooming shops. I simply introduce myself and explain that I am thinking about raising my prices and am call around to get an average , you'd be surpised how many shop owners actuallt thank me for being honest and not wasting their time. I just don't understand why some people insist on being dishonest.

Comment

has this happened to anyone

Yes I've had that happen dogs are booked in and no show you ring and its a bogus number it happened several times until oneday the same thing happened only this time after they hung up I pressed hash key etc and the number that came up was the oppisition down the road so I phoned and let her know I knew it was her and low and behold no more calls

Comment

Wow, that's terrible. I'm shop, and no shows are one thing, but I can't believe that someone would do that! And being mobile, you fit them in, and then drove out of your way. If it is really your competition...well then shame on them! That's pretty low!
                              Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X