Inverters & Batteries - Wag'n Tails Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverters & Batteries - Wag'n Tails Article

Here is an extensive new document written by the Wag'n Tails team I think you will enjoy.

Be patient, it is about 180K so for dialup it could take 2 minutes or so to load.

It is in Adobe PDF Reader format, and everyone really should have the free Adobe Reader on their computers. If it won't open you can get the reader free at http://www.adobe.com/reader

We will also be placing this document in the mobile section of PetGroomer.com at www.petgroomer.com/mobile.htm soon.
    Attached Files

good article...

very good reading..and most of it i had already researched so none of it was a big surprise....My conclusion is this: i'll keep my honda super quiet generator....it has never let me down...and it runs my a/c, clippers, hv dryer, and lights all at the same time...oh and my stereo..heheheheehe.

Comment

Interesting reading.......

However, Pam J., a member on this board, uses an inverter with 8 batteries to run her equipment, no generator, and can do 10 dogs a day. Perhaps they should ask her how it's done? <BG> Sorry, couldn't resist!lol

Comment

so who has the inverter that runs everything? How did you do it?
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I didn't do it......

Pam from Phoenix did. She'll probably see this when she gets a chance to get on the lists. She's got a small RV, as I do. I just bought mine, and have been emailing back and forth with her about refitting mine. She's got a 5000 w/10,000 surge inverter. Says she has no problems doing a full day's work off of that, which runs off of 8 batteries. She said you can also buy a big enough alternator to go in your vehicle's engine, so that it can not only recharge your vehicle's battery between stops, but your inverter batteries as well.
          My vehicle can hold up to 12 batteries, outside the rig, not in, if I need them. I'm also going to go with the AGM (glass-mat) batteries, which are safer and better than gel or conventional batteries. Doug's advice to someone else is how I decided on that. ;-) I'll try to find the link to Pam's website and post it here. Shows them refitting her rig.

Comment

are those 10 dogs big or little. i have a friend with an inverter system who has major problems when it comes to the large dogs, where most of the groom is spent drying. the batteries run down too quickly. the small dogs don't tend to be a problem.
            Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
            "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I'd be interested to. what size dryers/air conditioning etc.do you have. How many plugs in your vehicles? I've heard nothing but good about inverters up until now, so I'm just curious. I have a generator, which I like right now, because I haven'thad any problems. Does the water in the batteries freeze?
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Here's the link

I haven't heard from her in afew days, but if I'm wrong about it running her roof A/C, I'll apologize now and get it over with. ;-) I do know it runs everything else.

http://www.pamsbubblemobile.com/wst_page6.html

Comment

big or small

Originally posted by workingchihuahua View Post
                  are those 10 dogs big or little. i have a friend with an inverter system who has major problems when it comes to the large dogs, where most of the groom is spent drying. the batteries run down too quickly. the small dogs don't tend to be a problem.
                  I don't know what size dogs she usually does. Is your friend's vehicle set up to partially recharge the batteries as she goes from place to place? That is an idea I like quite alot. I don't have all the answers here, guys- just the info I've been given. Personally, I don't plan on doing anything over 50lbs when I go mobile, with the exception of Airedales. (Only because I have a very large terrier clientele.lol)

Comment

Another link...

Try this one for inverter questions. Seems there are several opinions out there on what is and isn't possible. Where's Doug when you need him?lol

http://mobilegroomingvans.com/_wsn/page6.html

Comment

Uh Oh - you had to start huh Stephen?? LOL

I used to have a generator. I have an inverter system now and can run everything plus my roof top air. I have 10 gel cell (air craft) batteries on board.

So far, so good right now!

Comment

Glad you posted...lol

Originally posted by barknpurr View Post
                        I used to have a generator. I have an inverter system now and can run everything plus my roof top air. I have 10 gel cell (air craft) batteries on board.

So far, so good right now!

The guy who's converting my RV for me is concerned about how much the roof AC is going to pull- we want to obviously set it up so I don't melt this summer, or run out of power! Can you tell me what level your inverter is (5000?), and what your AC pulls? Much appreciated! :-)

Comment

Inverters?

I use a generator in my wagntails here in central Ca. and we had some warmer days lately.I don't se how an inverter can run an a/c on high,a clipper, i-vac, k-9 dryer, vacum, ligths sometimes all at the same time for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs doing seven pets a day.driving time between costumers it's not more than 10 minutes average how can they charge so fast???

Comment

Inverter for me

Hi Gang. Well my system went down this am before I could hit the send button, don'cha just hate that!

For me it was an easy decision, as my unit is diesel, no place for a gasoline tank, and no place to put a gen. as it would have to sit inside with me! Not going to happen!

Doug gave us some very useful suggestions, as did Curtis. From that we did our system. Yes, I can run everything I need . I even have a stand dryer in my rig. And I could run my roof AC, as it only pulls 12.5 amps on high, and 10 on low. It would simply need a ,oh shoot I can't remember what it's called, but same as a veriable switch to reduce the surge when the compressor kicks in. It would have been another $400 (no biggie) but since we decided to return to WA, it wasn't nessesary, so I just plugged in last summer)

When you have an inverter, you simply have to rethink things and watch your amps. The worst amp-eater I have is my CV at 10 amps. My clipper pulls maybe 2 amps (if even), my BB pulls 5.5 amps, my HV pulls 8.5, my lights maybe 1.5 each and I have 3, and my stand dryer pulls just 8 amps on low, 10 on med heat, and 14 on high heat, which I seldom use on hi, only did when it was in the 30's here and first thing in the morning...

Most WNT have a K92, those pull 17-19 amps (depending on how well you maintain it) I would think that might tend to pull down an inverter system. You can't use some equipment if you are watching your amps. why waste?

Now you have to remember , I do a lot of full coated Bichons, Stand Poodles, and such. Lots of fluffies! I have done as many as 11 in a 12 hour day and that day consisted of 8 full coated Bichons, a SCWT, a few Yorkies, still had power to spare. So far I've never had a low amp reading on the inverter...AND I can not top-off my batteries by using the engine alternator, some of the new fancy rigs can, but not my old gal, with just a 4 cyl. engine.

I guess it's has a lot to do with your mind set. Inverters do get a bad rap, simply because your RV places will tell you it's NOT possible! But it is. I only can tell you how my system is, and things I've heard of others. IMO a WNT van would have to be redesigned to be Inverter friendly, which it would not look like a WNT, since they are pretty much all cookie-cutter styled [and I don't mean that in a derogtory way]. Sometime I look at some of the new rigs and think how nice it would be nice to have a new bells and whistle rig, but hey, my rig has brand new technology and up-grades that some existing rigs do not. My HW stays hot with my engine cooling return system so hot you can't comfortabley hold your hand under the HW tap.

My system can do as many dogs as the next rig, for as long, but I may have modified equipment pulling less amps. It all comes down to mindset. I don't think there is one way that is better then another, you simply choose to go with one or the other.

Comment

Hi I am another one who runs off of an inverter. I have never had a generator. My first van was plug in and I hated it. My second van I bought from Doug and he put a 3000 watt inverter in it. That wouldn't run a roof airconditioner but we tried. There were times with the 3000 watt that I would run low on power. I still groomed dogs, there was always enough power for the clippers and lights. Sometimes I would run a cord just for the dryer or I would just dry the dog with a fan, depending on how hairy the dog was. I groomed with the 3000 watt inverter for 4 years.
                              Now I have a 5000 watt inverter. It makes a big difference. I still don't run an airconditioner off of it. My diesel shuttle bus has an airconditioner that runs off of the engine, so I just have to let it idle for my air. But I can go several days in between charges. I do a lot of big hairy dogs. I groom a once a week OES in full coat. I also have a customer with two full coated Briards. Because they live near each other I tend to book them on the same day. Usually with a couple of Maltese and Shih Tzu. While I am ready to die by the end of the day I still have plenty of power left in my batteries. I have been running this system for almost 2 years now. I have not had to do any maintenance or repairs on it. I have checked the water in the batteries a few times, but it hasen't needed any water added. One time it broke while I was working and did cost me a 10 minute phone call to Doug. A nut had come loose and when I touched the cable it sparked and I was afraid to touch it again. Doug managed to persuade me that I could fix it myself. I put the nut back on and was immediately back to work. The inverter can overheat in the summer so I try to remember to run a little fan on low on the inverter. If it does overheat then I just have to wait for 15 or 20 minutes until it cools off, then I am back in business.

Comment

Working...
                              X