Dog of Mystery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog of Mystery...

Yesterday a woman calls to have her black lab groomed and sounds desperate and wants the dog groomed asap. Call her back to find out its not just a lab, but a black lab/chow chow mix. Oh, Joy! Not! Its old and matted too. I was really afraid to ask if it was an outdoor only dog. Because it is old, I'm hoping not with it being extremely cold lately. It will be a clip down, but if the dog shows any aggression, I will refuse the groom. I better remember to bring my camera for a before and after picture. I just thought it was funny how a lab could turn into an big furry lab/chow mix. Wish me luck!

Funny how that happens....At least you found out before, not when you got there. The "Oh, didn't I tell you on the phone.."'s are even worse. I got a call about a lab/chow mix and it turned out to be short hair, like a lab. (The dog had a spot of black on his tongue.).

I don't know, but I've found that many of the chow x's are sweet. As a matter of fact I don't recall having any that were nasty. Then again I really haven't done too many chow x's.

Good luck with the groom. I hope you're making the big bucks for that one.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

good luck...umm i did a chow mix today....my guess is mostly chow if not full....anyhow...a little trim turned into a complete shave down....I had to change price..and the guy didn't like it..but finally agreed on much higher price than I had quoted him on the phone.....well i think i ruined two blades..and spent about 2 hours.....and he kept growling the whole time..but didnt bite me.....i like poodles better i think..

Comment

It's funny how when asking, they always tell you the smaller side of the issue.
        It's a Lab mix. (Chow Mixed with a little lab) It's a Pom. Mix (Collie mixed with Pom, weighs 40 lbs) It's a Dachshund mix (Golden Retriever with really short legs)
        People figure maybe they'll get a cheaper quote. Also just like our weight, under quoted by 10 or 15 lbs.

Comment

The majority of the chow mixes I've groomed have been the sweetest dogs, love 'em. It's the coat that is hard sometimes. Good luck with this one, and DO take photos.

Isn't it funny how they eliminate the "chow" part when they first call? I've had that a lot. It's usually lab and chow, but they only mention the lab part. Hmm...

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Sounds exactly like the woman who called me but when I called her back she said she had just spoken to someone and scheduled and appointment. Described the dog the same way - very old lab/chow belonged to mother-in-law now she has - said dog is filthy - best of luck

p.s I didn't realize we were near each other - I'll wave next time I see you
            Kelly

Comment

You get the lab mix calls, not mentioning what it's mixed with, usually a chow or husky. Long thick coats. Then you'll the people that call that have a chow X. you show up and like furrybestjob said and it'll have this tiny black spot on the back of its tongue with a nice sleak coat....What I'm saying is you can never tell. On mixes I always ask hair type/length along with age and weight. Cuts down on the suprizes.

Comment

What is your name? where r u located?

Originally posted by kelly View Post
                Sounds exactly like the woman who called me but when I called her back she said she had just spoken to someone and scheduled and appointment. Described the dog the same way - very old lab/chow belonged to mother-in-law now she has - said dog is filthy - best of luck

p.s I didn't realize we were near each other - I'll wave next time I see you
                Kelly
                Groomed this dog today...in Brownsmills...probably the same woman because she called about 5 times and left one message...lol. The dog was very nice, just unsteady and old. Not the best groom of my life, but the dog sure looked, felt, and smelled better. They were very happy. I will see if I can get the pictures up later....so many things to do tonight already. You know how it gets.

Comment

before/afters

Here's the lab chow mix before and after pictures. He's much happier now that he's done.

Comment

The company name is Two Dogs Mobile Grooming ( with a picture of my two dogs on the van) and I'm based out of Medford - Kelly

Comment

Working...
                    X