Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if .....

Hi everyone....
    I have shared on other threads about my van arriving in Feb. well..... Feb. is here and i will be flying out to indiania on the 15th to bring her home .....omg thats next week :/
    The past couple of weeks i have been trying to put my name out there , with business cards , brochures, etc... i may do a press release, when i get my van. not sure yet well not one call has come in ... The anxiety over not having enough clients is getting alittle overwhelming, The WHAT IF'S are back..... OH NO!
    My question to all of you is 1. what did you do in the begining to get your name out there, 2. What did you do with your what if's?
    I have been around the industry long enough to know that this time of year is usually dead anyway, so i am not sure where this anxiety is coming from.... Also if there are any mobiles out there from northern monmouth county who want to network let me know..... I could use all the support I can get..... Thanks guys.....

I am not mobile, but hope it's alright that I post here. I totally understand your doubts and what ifs! I really think it's normal. I opened up last year and still when I'm having a slow week (or month), I'll start having some doubts. I think in a way it's good to have some what ifs, it will help you prepare yourself for things you may not normally think of. As for getting your name out there, it looks like you're doing all the right things. One thing I did that made a HUGE difference for me, was met with a couple local Vets. I had great conversations with both and both Vets were more than willing to recommend me. I have my cards and brochures in both offices and am so grateful for their participation! One Vet and I have developed a nice friendship on top of it, and all around it has taken care of alot of my what ifs. I don't advertise anymore, and am pretty much by referral only. It takes a little time to build it up, so don't over-expect too much at the beginning or you may be disappointed. Hang in there - If I was in your area and/or mobile I would def network with you! Congratulations on your van!!!

Comment

That's right vets are exellent way to get you name out there! visit as many as you can, take a day and drive around and stop at every vet you find, most of them don't care some how it works for their benefit too,it worked for us very well. Also one thing that worked for us is those restaurant publications, most peolple with disposable income eat out very often, they seat and read while they wait for their food and the more they see your name more likely to give you a call, and are not as expensive as newspaper or local magazines. Try to be in the most popular, that one you see more often..and one more PRAY a lot.

Comment

this is related...kinda...the shop i work for has been open for 6 months...well NOW we are hitting a dead zone...my boss was hopeing for a good week...well its not gonna happen because of the friggen snow yesterday! blegh! we had NO phone calls at all yesterday...we thought we were getting lucky because the last couple of weeks people called for the week after that...so i was like YES! we are picking up! yeahhh right LOL! and she only got 5 calls over a 3 day weekend...YIKES!!! alot of dogs are coming due though...we have a 3 dog client (great pyrs) and a 2 dog client (berners) that are due...and quite a few other people so i have a feeling that we are going to be slammed with big dog week soon...ah well i hope this picks up soon...as i want to start grooming LOL! ah well...
        Hound
        Ps. GOod luck with your new business! also we tried the vet office idea...only 1 or 2 out of the 3 to 5 she visited actually recommends people to us...a couple she called back pretending to look for a groomer told her that they dont know of any groomers in that area but heres the next closest one...when she had just been there the other day! and they took her cards!
        blagh!
        Hound

Comment

one thing at a time

Agonize over one thing in order like the long drive home first. If you try to over think everything you will paralize yourself and be less effective.Doesnt help your confidence one bit. Every grain of sand in a mountain of sand is still just one grain ,move them at your convienience acordding to your lifting abilltiy.It all still gets done one by one.Focus

Comment

Oh I know about the praying part! lol
            I am opening my shop in 2 weeks! YIKES!! I am having nice little moments of shear terror.
            There is is so much to do and I get so overwhelemd but my well grounded hubby always says , "You know you got a lot to do, but you are almost there becuase you alreayd got alot done..." he is right! I have done quite a bit to get to this point. I have made some mistakes and I know I will make more but I am excited, nervous and terrified. I think the only remedy will be prayers and customers!!

Comment

I was where you were 7 months ago, so I understand your fears and also know you will soon overcome them.

Just wait until you start driving that van around town. You'll have people turning their heads to see you go by, people will stop you when you're getting gas or shopping. You will start to get the calls.

Definitely, without doubt, bring your van to the local vet offices, and make sure someone comes out to see the inside of the van. You will have them very impressed with how clean and bright it is, and be sure to sell yourself as being great for stressed, elderly, or fragile dogs. I get many vet referalls.

If there is a community newspaper that gets delivered to people in your area you may want to do a week or two advertisement in that, they did extremely well for me.

Good luck and have fun picking up your van.
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Beside visiting as many vets office as you can. Also visit and get to know the Pet feed stores. We have a very Chic Pet Boutique that I spent some time talking to them. Now they refer everyone to me.
                Congratulations on your new van. You will enjoy it so much.

Comment

for the what if's...

i didn't advertise untill my trailer was ready..then the customers started coming in...few at a time...I advertise with local paper here..and yellow pages. (perfect timining as yellow pages deadline was about a week after i opened..)..Don't let the what if's get to you..if your a good groomer, treat your customers right (show up on time, listen to their wants and needs) , stay firm on your prices...you'll be ok....word of mouth will be a good friend for you...just let your business grow and always think of innovative things to do to help along the way....You'll be fine.. Oh..and for the ones who don't rebook (some dont like to)..just send reminder cards in 4 to 6 weeks..they really work..for me anyways..:
                  Good Luck,
                  kevin

Comment

Im not mobile but I know how you feel. Im opening my own shop and the what if's hit me almost every day! Expecially after I order something big for the shop. Practically had heart palipatations ordering my stainless steel tubs and cages. Although when my clients from the vet clinic I worked at take the time to hunt me down and they call and ask where am I and when is my shop opening it makes me feel much, much better!
                    Tammy

Comment

Network like crazy! I called up many other mobile groomers and pet sitters and vet clinics...even poo cleanup services. When you call other groomers, call ones outside your service area first and offer to send clients their way and request they send some your way (for clients who call from outside your zone). Call local mobilers and introduce yourself. I did this and asked if they had any specialties, ie. show grooming, hand stripping and what their favoirtes to groom were. I said I would send any their way that I was too unskilled to do. By doing this I discovered a LOT of them did not groom anything over 40 - 60 lbs...so I did them, and that was my start. The next idea I thought of trying were flyers. I heard of a groomer who put a flier in a ziplock bag with a dog treat inside. The large treat kept the bag from blowing away and you can drop them at the end of driveways, so as not to be as annoying as a door hanger. Park at busy shopping centers and dog parks and keep plenty of cards with you. Offer to groom shelter dogs in exchange for referrals and offer free add-ons for newly adopted pets who use your service, so as to not discount your service.

Comment

Take it everywhere you go.I have a soft sided business card holder that I velcro to the back window of the van and leave cards in it while I shop.I got a few customers at service stations.I've heard dog parks are great place to take the van (we have none here) I did get a call from a another mobiler in town that expecting twins and doesn't want to do any larger dogs for now so she's sending some my way plus it's a slow time for almost everyone.Good Luck I know you'll do great and I love wgnt so will you!

Comment

ya never know

Sounds silly, but its true.

I go to area garage sales.
                          Not only to i get great deals on fabric and heck, ya neve know what,
                          you meet local people that have DOGS.
                          So easy to strike up a conversation this way.
                          Take cards with you.

Comment

Don't FREAK

The majority number of your calls will come once they start seeing your van around town.

Comment

Redbird

The garage sale idea sounds so good!! I know in our area we have HUGE neighborhood sales and its true, you can get good stuff cheap sometimes!! That is so good. I dont know if I will go mobile or not, for right now I plan on staying home, but that is still a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X