COLD weather heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLD weather heating

I wanted to know who leaves their propane heat running continuously during freezing temps? And does this mean I would have to probably get my propane refilled weekly about? I have been refilling every month since cold weather started, but I wonder if that is a good or bad idea to leave it on.

Any advice? I don't want to freeze up.

Space Heaters

I keep ceramic heaters in the cab and also keep the furnace on just in case the power goes out. The space heater keeps it warm enough that it hardly ever kicks in.

Comment

i won't leave the propane on, but will run the ceramic heaters instead. if you put the propane heat on you will be filling up weekly. which would be a fraction of the cost of the ceramic heaters, but as you know a pain in the butt. being as i fill up in the morning. i do have an inside water line and in the truck fill, i won't put the propane water heater on unless it extremely cold. i have gone through very little propane this winter.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I have not been able to use 2 ceramic heaters in my van. If I put more than one they pop the fuses in my house (I have no idea why its all brand new electrical wiring). I have one in the back with the laundry chute opened. I have to keep the propane furnace running, and it definitely comes on severa. times during the night. I have to fill my propane tank weekly which I don't mind because the place is on the way and they always are quick about filling it. It only costs me about $10 per week to fill. With the price of electricity going up I'd rather do that. Our electric bill has skyrocketed this winter.
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I was very concerned about freezing tonight as it is supposed to go to about 0 here with wind chills at -12 so I put both ceramics in the back of my trailer with all the mechanicals 1 on high and one on med. In the front of the trailer I have my propane heater on med. I have no clue how much propane is left in my tank. Hopefull enough to get through the nite. But the only thing that will freeze in the front is my shampoo. I can live with that. I brought my clippers and scissors in the house. I also think I did not need both heaters in the back. I have a temp thingy in there that tells me in the house what the tem in the trailer is. Right now in the back of the trailer it is 87. I can live with that. At least I will be able to sleep tonight without worry. Tomorrow I will turn it down. I also rescheduled my appts for this week as this is too hard on my equipment. It gets too cold in the back of the trailer through out the day for me to be out grooming. I did not have many to reschedule, so it is no big deal. Sat is supposed to be 33 (heat wave) so I will do them then.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
            I have not been able to use 2 ceramic heaters in my van. If I put more than one they pop the fuses in my house (I have no idea why its all brand new electrical wiring). I have one in the back with the laundry chute opened. I have to keep the propane furnace running, and it definitely comes on severa. times during the night. I have to fill my propane tank weekly which I don't mind because the place is on the way and they always are quick about filling it. It only costs me about $10 per week to fill. With the price of electricity going up I'd rather do that. Our electric bill has skyrocketed this winter.
            The ceramic heaters pull 12.5 amps. Most homes even new are 15 amp circuits that is why you are popping the fuse with 2. I have a 30 amp outlet outside just for my trailer. That way I have no problems. Sometimes when I do my own dogs I do them both at the same time and I can run both of my dryers and get done faster. I can't be bothered fussing over my own dogs lol. Ahh, they are almost dry we are done lol
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

felicia
              i had an electrician come and put a 30 amp line so that i could plug the truck in with both heater on high.
              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Furrybestjob the reason your circuit keeps flipping is because your switch is only good for 15 amps and with both heaters runnig it is more than 15 amps. I had this problem and my dad had to put a 30 amp outlet on the side of the house. If you do this rewiring this will solve you problem. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X