what are you pulling trailers with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are you pulling trailers with?

I was wondering, for those with trailers, what are you using to pull them with? Im trying to decide what type of trailer to buy as I only have an 06 Mercury Mariner with a v6 w/towing pkg?

I pull my trailer with my Jeep Cherokee. I have a gryphon trailer and when my tanks are full it weighs about 3,500 lbs. You have to check the tow weight rating of your vehicle. Mine is 5,000 lbs. Jeep has a v6.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Rating for towing

Yep, that is so true! We just bought a '04 Chevy Colorado, quad cab, but it's tow rate is only 3,500 even though it is a truck! I don't plan to tow a trailer, but I thought I'd just throw that in for information. Basically it's a light truck, people hauler, LOL, seats 5.

Comment

I pull my trailer with my 2005 jeep liberty. I have to turn the over drive off but have been pulling it with this for a year and with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by muddypaws View Post
          I pull my trailer with my 2005 jeep liberty. I have to turn the over drive off but have been pulling it with this for a year and with no problems
          hey thanks! what kind of trailer are you pulling and whats the weight on it full?

Comment

our 7x12 weighs in a 3970 w/o. water.. so add another 400 lbs.. tonuge weight is 500... our 5x8 will be weighed today and i will post it on our web site..

Comment

I've always wondered if grooming trailers have trailer brakes with a controller in the tow vehicle?

Seems to me that stopping the beast could be a problem when using small SUVs? Our 2 horse slantload trailer weighs about 4k empty and I wouldn't pull it with anything smaller than our 3/4 ton Suburban or a 3/4 ton truck.

Comment

Originally posted by katydid View Post
                I've always wondered if grooming trailers have trailer brakes with a controller in the tow vehicle?

Seems to me that stopping the beast could be a problem when using small SUVs? Our 2 horse slantload trailer weighs about 4k empty and I wouldn't pull it with anything smaller than our 3/4 ton Suburban or a 3/4 ton truck.
                I have electric brakes on my 7 x 12 trailer. Could not stop without them lol. I have to manually engage them when backing down my driveway. It is pretty steep and if I don't the trailer will drag my jeep. when my jeep dies, I will get a bigger SUV. I don't want another truck. My hubby has an f-150
                If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I pull my WGN (about 5K lbs. I think) with a Ford Expedition. No problems at all. Also tow my horse trailer with it. Use to tow my horse trailer with an Explorer. Not a lot of fun.

Comment

Are the Expeditions the SUVs that look like a city block rolling down the road? Man, they are HUGE and safe! I heard Ford phased them out this year and the Suburban 3/4 tons go bye-bye in 08. :-(

I really, really worry about people using undersized tow vehicles. Nothing gets your heart rate up faster than clearing out 3 lanes of interstate during rush hour with a trailer whipping a tow vehicle all over the road.

Comment

To Katydid, I hope they're not phasing them out. Mine goes back in on a lease this summer and I'm on to another one. You're not thinking of Hummer's are you? I mean, mine's big, but I don't feel like it's bigger than any of the other oversize units.

Comment

No, no, definitely not a hummer. Check the Ford site and with your dealer- we were recently told that the largest Ford SUV is being phased out. If it's what I think it is, Expeditions are slightly shorter in length (they fit in regular garages) but are taller and more massive than Subbies. Either one will pull a house.

Comment

Working...
                        X