Double coat tips? (Long...:()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double coat tips? (Long...:()

Harsh Double coats, that is! Not the softer easy-brush ones, LOL! My typical routine is this: Nail trim, clip pads then into the tub. I shampoo well, and if it is obvious they have some packed in coat or matted hair, I use D-Mat concentrated, otherwise I do a rinse with it all over. I let it sit while I wash face, clean ears and glands. I rinse really well. I towel the heck out of them, and then HV. Once good and dry, I begin going over them with a rake, partly to find my tangles to work on and partly to get any loosened hair clumps out. By using a slicker with good, firm bristles I line brush. When I hit a tangly mess, I grip below near the skin, and use the slicker to gently work it out. I do not use mat cutters, but will use a coat king when the dog is done, to debulk. I have used thinning shears in the past to help break down mats, but have not needed to in a long time. I then trim the bum and groin, tidy the feathers/feet, etc. If it is a clip, this is when I would do it (unless matted shavedown). I finish with a comb and coat conditioner/oil. If it is a shorter coat, I will also do a few swipes with my furminator. It is a LOT of work, especially on the big guys, but it is so satisfying and I am starting to really like the big guys....I know, crazy! My question is this: what else can I be doing to make brushing the tangles easier? I can tell you that when I started using my slickers more, it became more pleasant for me and the dog, and they were easier the next time. My favorite collie fell asleep on my trailer floor as I brushed him today...now that's a comfortable pup! (He is 11 so I let him sit as much as possible.)
    Last edited by PAWS; 01-26-07, 10:48 PM. Reason: Specify harsh vs. soft

Nevermind...

I was searching and found a thread with this info on it...I guess I should just try some better products. I read something about pin brushes, but I thought they were just for fluffing to finish the groom??

Comment

Paws
      Try blowing out with the HV when soapy and if your conditioner is a rinse out kind do it again when he's full of conditioner. I do packed coat chows this way and it does help

Comment

When they are in the tub, I use my bather with the Furminator deshedding solution on the dog. While I am flushing out the coat I run a slicker brush through it so that the bather loosens the coat and the brush picks it up. It really saves on the drying time.

Comment

I usually lather them up, use a slicker brush while they are soapy and then HV them.. the clumps come out with the slicker wet and the HV, then I rinse, slicker again while wet, "burrito wrap" the dog with towel magnets and towel over the magnet.. HV again in the tub, transfer to the table and finish them out.

Comment

I use my zoom groom. That works wonders.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

my routine for dual coated dogs(this is even those yearly dogs with 4 inches of undercoat amd matting.
              I use natures specialy dermatreat shampoo wet dog thoroughly then apply shampoo generously throughout the dogs coat working the lther down under the matting with my fingertips the best I can let sit 10 min
              rinse thoroughly also working shampoo out of the coat with fingertips. towel dry in the tub to get excess water out before using HV
              use hv bow the dog out until its as dry as you can get him while in the tub place dog on table dry completly with hv concentrating on heavy undercoat or matted areas to fully dry and force them lose.once you feel the dog is dry enough remove the hv nozzle from the hose.using the flat head of hose while placing end directly to the skin as the coat dries the heat and the forced air will help release the undercoat moving it slowly throughout the entire dog .after the dog is dried fully repete with Hv nozzle starting from back to front you want this dog 100% dry before any brushing is done .undercoat cannot be removed fully from a wet or damp coat. a thoroughly dry coat will release it when heated with forced air dryer.
              after the dog has been blown out completely I use a leave in spray conditioner then using a slicker brush starting at back working my way to the from of the dog in small sections using a fine toothed comb before moving to next area to be sure all matting and undercoat is removed..
              let the dryer do the work for you as much as you can.the heat tricks the dogs skin into releasing undercoat in the same way season changes do matting should be brushed out with slicker and comb if i come across large mats I split them using a single edge of my scissors from the skin to hair ends.I also dont use mat splitters or rakes or shedding blades I found no need for them

Comment

Zoom Groom for me, too. If I think they need something more, I'll use a rake while they're soapy, and again while the conditioner is soaking.

Comment

Also use your Coat King while you have them sitting with the conditioner. Then blast the heck out of them with the conditioner in. Rinse then use D-Mat. Dry.
                  Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I have never hv'd with shampoo or conditioner in...I will have to just try it and see....thanks guys!

Comment

HVing with shampoo and conditioner

Edited.
                      Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I can't brush more than a Sheltie...don't your shoulders and arms hurt? I tried HV dirty dry with mask on...mask climbs high near eyes..didn't seem to help. Dina P said you can HV soapy dogs..didn't work for me. So I brush,rake pants,clean sanitary, feet all that stuff then bath Hydro surge, dry, go over to finish. Know a faster, better way...I'll try it. I"m open-minded.P Pamperedpups tell me more details..or even Email me, if you catch my Qquestion.

Comment

has anyone tried a wet vac on these coats? instead of blowing shampoo and conditioner all over the place, why not vaccum it off first then blow out?

Comment

I use "Best Shot" shampoo, leave in the shampoo and put Best Shot conditioner on and while they are all suds up I brush them in the tub, rinse thourghly then spray with "Stuff" for dematting and power dry. Very good results!
                            Kellie

Comment

Edited.
                              Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X