Pushy lady insists on being with dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushy lady insists on being with dog

Maybe some of you have run into this: I have a older lady...with 3 dogs..standard poodle..and 2 chinese hairless things haahah ugly...but she insists on coming in my trailer cuz she insists her poodle bites...and she's worried..well the whole time she's in there with me i feel like she's crowding me and I feel like she's on old school teacher i had who had scrutinizing eyes...very awkward ..I don't want to tell her to get out..cuz i've only been in business for 4.5 months now..but on the otherhand..tommorow is my 3rd groom with her and i'm already dreading it.....what would you do..?

Pushy Lady

Thats an easy one...you say..."I'm sorry but I was just discussing my insurance with my agent yesterday, and I did not know, but, and I was told under No circumstance am I to have clients in the van, that they are not covered under my policy, so you can understand you will have to wait in the house or outside"...and if she still insists, then tell her I'm sorry then I can not do your dogs. (Hold your ground now)

Comment

I had this happen and When I went back after the 4th time, I told her I didn't relize but I was talking to my Ins guy and he said that I can't have anyone in the van because they won't be cover and if they found out I would get drop! She was like Ok, he's fine with you anyway!

Comment

Tell her that she can sit down and shut up and stay out of your way, or you can tell her that you insurance does not allow you to have people in your trailer. Or you can tell her that you believe the dog will be more settled if she is not there and if you have any problems you will go and get her.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

There was a good thread on this a couple of weeks ago. A lot of us use the "insurance regulations won't allow it" argument to get them out of the shop/trailer. And a lot of the time, insurance really won't allow it so....

Comment

Our insurance agent told us anytime we don't want anyone to come in with the dogs to 'blame' the insurance company and say we can't allow clients staying with their dog. In any case you can say your agent has told you that you are no longer allowed to have anyone else in the van with you. No further explanation needed.

Comment

pushy lady

So does he actually bite? Does having her there help get the dog done any easier, better or faster? If he behaves just fine then tell( don't ask) her that you want to try it by yourself now that he knows you and you will get her if you need her. I have had people ask this but I always tell them I will try it by myself first as I rarely ever need help and I will get them if I need them. This is easy as your right in the driveway. I've actually only needed help once and it wasn't because it was naughty. It was my first groom with an elderly poodle and he had a large mat all stuck with you know what (I'm snacking right now) on his rear and I didn't want to accidentally cut or irritate him so I just had her hold him up. Boy I tell you, she got that dog to the vet that afternoon. No waiting for a week when they have to help you like that. (He had an anal glad issue). Just make it a policy from now on--other than a tour--no clients inside unless you ask for it.

Comment

Do what we do, tell her that your liability insurance does not allowed peolple in your trailer,think about it,she is a liability, if she falls or gets to much hair in her lungs...etc. lol.

Comment

Tell her your insurance company says they will not cover you if you allow anyone else but yourself in there. Since you have already left her in I would just say that you were just informed of this. That way they don't think it is you just really not wanting them in there if you want to keep her as a client. I had one lady with a Toy Poodle who always wanted to stay and she bugged me the entire time THEN started bringing her mother to every appointment along also. Over Christmas of all times she thought I could make her a special appointment so that she could stay with the dog. I told her no that it was impossible due to the # of dogs. Well I haven't heard from her since and I am glad. She was a pain. She used to drop the dog off at other groomers and leave it, which she hated but still. She also told me I took longer than the other groomer. REALLY well if you weren't sitting here asking stupid questions that make no sense and getting in the way well then I guess I could get to work.

Comment

Maybe you could say something along the lines of "Since this is my 3rd time grooming Fluffy and you see how well she does, maybe I should try doing it alone this time and I'll come get you if I need your help". If she doesn't go for that maybe say "Okay, well how about giving me 45 minutes and then come check on us". I have a shop, and when people stay it is very distracting and seems to take a lot longer to get the job done! Good luck!!

Comment

wow...great...i didnt even think of the insurance thing...you guys are greeeeeeeeat....)))

Comment

And if you don't mind losing the client

suggest she look up a housecall groomer. I'm one and I groom with the owners often right there. It does take a lot of confidence and tact to groom the dog with the owner sometimes sitting right next to you. Personally I like it. I feel I am doing a service for the whole grooming industry as they see the time and steps taken to get their fluffenbutts completed. I hope they share that information with lots of people.

Otherwise, I agree, insurance won't allow them in the Van. If she would drop you in that case, she could stand at the door. Not sure she'd want to stand for too long and that might alleviate you of her presence.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

uninsured risk

Probably is true since she is not an employee and I dont imagine your a rolling retail store with slip and fall coverage. Plus if she gets bit by her own dog your more then likely responsible for that to while it is in your vehicle.

Comment

I think dogs behave differently when the owners are present,they know they can be brats and we can't do nothing to fluffy..

Comment

Blow out double under coated dogs first before the bath, this will get rid of most people from your van. Than make sure the door is locked. Remember locking the door keeps the pet (s) and you safer

Comment

Working...
                              X