Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2crazydogs...I know what your white smoke is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2crazydogs...I know what your white smoke is.

I was just digging around the old board and found this message from 2crazydogs about white smoke coming out from under her driver side wheel well.

None of the Sprinter "experts" cold answer it so I figured I better chime in just in case you see it again and save you the trouble of going to the dealer. Being "Human" almost everyone assumed a failure of some sort.

It is actually something that you turned on and you probably did not know it.

Want to make it do it again? Look at the buttons where you turn on your A/C where the snow flake is. The snow flake is at 12:00 if you look at that button area like a clock.

Now look at the 9:00 position. See that squiggly line. That indicates that the 9:00 button is you diesel engine pre-heater. Press that button and a little red light will come on beside the squiggly lines. When this light is on.... your Mercedes diesel engine coolant pre-heater comes on.
    It is a small diesel fired furnace or water heater that works like a kerosene burner system. What it does is heat up you radiator fluid when you have a cold engine. It also keeps the radiator fluid hot when the engine is in idle, if needed.

The smoke? Look inside the fender well of the driver side front tire just in front of the tire. You will see a miniature muffler and a 2" tailpipe where the Mercedes diesel coolant preheater discharges its spend fuel exhaust. When you first operate it it does sometime let off a little white smoke. It smell a bit like jet fuel burning(you have smelled it at airports. Very clean burn after the initial heat up)

Now, I would love to know who the heck your dealer is because they should have known that especially if you told them it came from the driver side.... uhhh you did tell them where it came from? So don't worry! Someone just failed to tell you about the pre-heater and how it works. Feel better?

What is this pre-heater for? Diesels idle very cool. One spring day of about 55-60 degrees I idled one sprinter of over an hour testing something. Even after an hour the engine was only at 110 degrees F. That's why it is ok to idle a Mercedes diesel engine. It only runs at 700 RPM and cool enough to touch and can idle for several hors on a gallon of fuel.

Want to learn another new trick. If your Sprinter heat is not putting out enough heat for you. Turn this pre-heater on and it will start getting a lot hotter. Not right away but after a few minute.

Now for something else you probably did not realize. At the end of a day prior to a very cold night, after your shut down the engine, press the REST button at 6:00 on the button area. A little red light will come on. The heat stored in the engine system will slowly blow into the front cab to give you warm air for an hour or so after you have shut down the engine. I have never seen anything like that before on any other brand of van. Most give cold air after a minute or two.

It kills me that your dealer did not figure out the smoke thing. I would go back and tell them what it is so they know for future reference.

Later and happy mobile grooming.
    Curtis

Very interesting!

Curtis, you're great! I learn so much from you. Thanks for the tip, especially that last one about the rest button. Will this also help the heat that comes through the vent in the back part of the van (the grooming area)? Is there any way to boost the heat coming out of that vent? It always takes much longer for the grooming area to get warm first thing in the morning than the cabin area in front.

Comment

This is what I do...

Originally posted by LaunderDog View Post
      Curtis, you're great! I learn so much from you. Thanks for the tip, especially that last one about the rest button. Will this also help the heat that comes through the vent in the back part of the van (the grooming area)? Is there any way to boost the heat coming out of that vent? It always takes much longer for the grooming area to get warm first thing in the morning than the cabin area in front.
      Do you have a door separating the cab from the grooming area? If so, open the door and prop it open so the warm air can circulate from the front to the back. It helps warm up that way. And if its super cold, run a small human hair dryer in the grooming area or ceramic heater to warm things up at first. Also turn on your lights...i know my lights really put off some heat...i really notice that more in the summer tho because i'm already hot.

Comment

Forgot to add...I don't have the engine pre-heater on my Mercedes Diesel. That must be a new option that wasn't around in 2002-2003. I'm thinking of getting one of those sheilds that go over the front grill...to keep my engine running warmer. But I wouldn't order it through my Dodge dealer, however. I'll shop online for that.

Comment

Working...
        X