Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IrishSetterTom
    replied
    Right. My Vegas business has a travel fee which the employees do not get part of. That’s our fuel fee. The groomer makes 55 percent of the groom price. I don’t understand the greediness of some of these people. You are making basically 3x minimum wage plus tips and that’s not enough? Come on.

Leave a comment:

• violet2
    replied
    If the groom fee on which commission is based includes the travel convenience fee I would think that means groomers get paid for travel, but not in addition to another pay just for time between grooms.

Leave a comment:

• WashingTheDog
    replied
    I got paid for travel time when I was a mobile employee. Employer charged each client a travel fee and I got part of that.

Leave a comment:

• 1 Clean Puppy
    replied
    I agree Tom.

Leave a comment:

• IrishSetterTom
    replied
    That’s crazy. Been doing this long time. Some stops are multiple dogs and some days all single stops. I often do 5 stops a day. Even 10 to 15 minutes between puts you over 1 hour total drive time. You can’t say you need to pay me extra cause there was a freeway accident and I spent an extra 30 minutes in traffic. You would not have a job anymore if you worked for me. A experienced employer would route efficiently and keep your clients local. Another van handles other areas so you have less driving. No one makes money driving. That’s why mobile is and should be more expensive and a luxury service. If you charge correctly your daily commission makes up for drive time.

If you break it down, your commission if broken down by hour, is somewhere north of $25 without tips. That’s with the drive time. So technically you are paid for 7 to 8 hours. Look at the total for the day. I understand there’s some days you make more. I tend to make more when I do less stops and multiple dog houses. That’s why we limit our stops to 5. If it’s single dogs, you only groom 5 that day. Other days I have 3 in one stop. 2 another and have time for 2 more.

Leave a comment:

• Sarahsmomma
    replied
    Good to know. I have heard some stories about getting paid so much if travel time for the day exceeds 60 minutes in heavy traffic areas where just the traffic alone limits the amount of grooms to about 4 maybe 5. From a L.A. groomer.

Leave a comment:

• 1 Clean Puppy
    replied
    I worked mobile awhile and just got commission. My depth perception is not so good but not bad so driving was an effort and stopped.

Leave a comment:

• 1mobilegroomer
    replied
    I was a mobile employee at one time. It was a great break from working at shops where there was so much distraction with all the gals. 3 radio stations on different stations and gossip. Took a mobile job and did 4 to 6 stops a day and made good enough because the prices were higher. It was nice to be out in the world and not in a shop all day. I found tips were higher most of the time in mobile too.

Leave a comment:

• IrishSetterTom
    replied
    Absolutely not. I pay commission on the grooms only. Driving is part of the job. Fueling up and cleaning and refilling water are also the job duties.

If the argument is I don’t get paid to drive and I can do more grooms in a shop, I argue you do less grooms and get more break time driving and make generally more than a full day at a shop. I know there are shop groomers who make more than mobile employees but that’s not the norm. My prices are 25 to 35 higher per dog so in turn you make more doing less plus tips that you don’t share.

Leave a comment:

• Sarahsmomma
    started a topic Paying mobile employees

Paying mobile employees

Do you figure the travel time between grooms?
Working...
X