Trailer -vs- Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer -vs- Van

Okay, I am going to be purchasing two more grooming vehicle, here is my question to you Valuable People with a Plethora of information (I am sucking up enough :-): What are you opinions of trailer or van?

Here is what to consider:

Either van or trailer would be loaded and would come from Hanvey. I can financially handle the cost of two Sprinter vans (the shorter one), I already have one Sprinter (the longer one). I have my groomers who would run it.

So- those of you who are mobile- which do you prefer and why? I have NEVER even been inside a trailer grooming salon only have seen pictures.

Thanks for any insight,
    Kristen

Good for you GracyRose.I wish I could give you some advice.I don't have a vehicle from Hanvey so I would not know the slightest.I think it would be easier to have employees drive the sprinter rather than a trailer.I know people need to get used to pulling a trailer I assume most people will know how to drive a (Van)Sprinter.How many groomers do you have?Some days I would love to exspand even more but don't know who I could trust or find to groom the dogs.It's a big step.I'm constantly asking my daughters friends what they want to do when they get out of high school.Maybe one will say be a groomer.

Comment

I personally love my trailer, but would not be trusting of an employee driving it around town without them having a lot of prev. towing exp. If it is going to be just you, I would say go for the trailer for all the extra room.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Does Hanvey do the trailers. I have see the Sprinters on the website. I would def. be interested in a Hanvey trailer conversion!

Comment

Trailers... do not depreciate as fast and can be disconnected from a broken down tow vehicle, hooked to another and be back in business!

Comment

I've worked in a van first and then I worked for someone else who had trailers. I HATED the trailer. I found it harder to drive/manuever and was limited with parking (especially trying to park to go potty...). Most of the time I had to pull straight in to peoples driveways and therefore blocked the sidewalks (illegal and dangerous.) Maybe it was the setup but mine was less private and I didn't have a clean place to store my personal items like purse, drinks etc. (in the van it had a door to the cab and I could reach inside for things). I had to unhitch it everday to park because my employer didn't have a long parking spot. The list goes on. I'd have to be desperate to work in one of those again- yech. Maybe other trailers are made better though... ??

Comment

I love my trailer but I would be nervous about sending someone else out with it. I am able to back it better than most people can back a compact car BUT not everyone can do that. I would purchase a van as that would be easier for people to drive and I would think you would have fewer accidents and problems. I once backed my trailer into someones house, I thought I had enough room to park the entire rig on their driveway-I was wrong. There was no damage to either but it could have been worse.

As much as I love my trailer I would think in your situation you would be better off buying a van.

Comment

I'm real good at this. Somewhere,,,,,,,,,, there is another post about this with like 3 pages. I think it depends on where you live and how well you drive. I replied last time if I had a trailer I know I would be jack-kniffed in someones pond. I would love to have one of those converted motor homes. Thats my dream rig. Vans are too small, I would get claustrophobic. If I wasn't so backwards, dislexic, directionally challeged and all, I would love a trailer. The best thing to factor into it is you can always hook up to a rental truck and not have down time with mechanica problems.

Comment

Doggie, YES Hanvey has trailers:-) I love all of the input. Here is another question: We have a 25 foot boat with trailer it is like 29 feet, I have no problem pulling the darn thing... but back it up...NO! Can't do it, tried; I suck. So, how long did it take you to learn to back up?

Comment

Would you be driving the truck/trailer rig? If not I'd stay away from the trailers. True, the don't depreciate as fast as a van unless someone crunches it for you due to their ineptitude and poor driving ability. If you're planning to put someone into these rigs I'd go for the shorter Sprinters and have less to worry about

Comment

Learning to back up a trailer is not hard at all. I have a 32 foot horse trailer and I have no problems backing that bad boy up!
                      My friend taught me to put you hand at the bottom of the sterng wheel in the center...iand whatever direction you want the trailer to go you move your hand/steering wheel that way! It always works for me. Also depending on the length of the rig it will take a while to get used to the turning and how much you need to crank the wheel!!! I can whip my horse trailer in and out just about anywhere...but one time I had to pull some jetskis and I about jacknifed the trailer, I was used to backing up a 32ft. trailer not a 5ft jetski trailer!!! It was pretty funny. I found out that you dont have to turn as much with a littler trailer!!!

Comment

Break downs vs Trailers

It is, it really is hard to back up a trailer. I had to learn, ok so maybe anyone CAN learn to back one up. I spent all day one day in 90 degree temps. with even higher humidity, learning how. I was a mess. I knew how to do it, Knew all the rules and tricks, but my hands would go the wrong way. Finally, after many failed attempts I learned. I'm also sitting here right now after spending 4 hours waiting for a tow last night, bus is down I hate rescheduling. I stopped to eat dinner and it wouldn't start. no warnings, nothing. just cranked and cranked, never turning over. Right now I'm wishing I would of gone w/a trailer.

Comment

..yeah, but can you back them up quickly? In my situation with my van accident, if I had been in a truck/trailer, I think the damage would have been alot worse. I was also wondering...do most places that rent trucks have them set up for towing, and would they allow you to use their trucks to tow a business? I wouldn't think they would go in for something like that.
                          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Working...
                          X