Disappointed cat grooming client:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed cat grooming client:(

I work alone doing house call, and am pretty decent at handling cats, though some do defeat me I love my feline clients.
    I groomed a matted, overgrown, little long-haired 14 yr old cat. First groom ever. The owner wanted me to de-mat and trim, not shave, so I gave it my best shot. The coat did look quite choppy when I stopped, but the owner said she was happy. I told the owner I could keep on going and work on the coat more, but de-matting isn't comfortable, and the cat had already been through an hour and a half of grooming. The owner seemed to agree. She'd expressed a lot of concern about the cat's comfort earlier, so I figured we were on the same page. She paid me and that was that.
    The owner has now let me know that she's very disappointed in the groom. She wanted a smooth, even coat.
    I want to be a force for good in the lives of cats, so I wish I knew a way to communicate to her that as long as the cat is comfortable and clean, all is well. Nature will return the coat to a beautiful state, as long as she does her part by combing and brushing. Visuals are important, but not compared to the health and comfort of an older cat.
    I did offer to return half the fee so she can hire another groomer to do more work on the cat's coat. I didn't offer to re-groom the cat because I honestly don't know how to make that coat smooth and even, especially since I did have to shave down to the skin in a few areas. Sigh. Wish I could work magic.

I hate people that in front of you are very happy and then they change their mind and become disappointed!
    You did a great job, she's the one who let her cat being a mess, you don't need to apologize for HER mistake!
    Honestly I won't give back a dollar to her, working and dematt for 1h 1/2 on a cat is really tiring and it worth the money !
    Whenever I try to dematt a cat matted to the skin, I try it on a tiny part so I can show to owners how it will look like and how difficult that's to the cat!
    The other groomer will do the same or worse!

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchie View Post
      I hate people that in front of you are very happy and then they change their mind and become disappointed!
      You did a great job, she's the one who let her cat being a mess, you don't need to apologize for HER mistake!
      Honestly I won't give back a dollar to her, working and dematt for 1h 1/2 on a cat is really tiring and it worth the money !
      Whenever I try to dematt a cat matted to the skin, I try it on a tiny part so I can show to owners how it will look like and how difficult that's to the cat!
      The other groomer will do the same or worse!
      Totally agree.

Comment

Thank you. Seems like the owner decided to wait and let the fur grow out. I haven't heard back from her. It's interesting to me that people are so concerned about their pet's comfort, but then they ask groomers to do things that really ARE uncomfortable for the pet. Kind of a mental disconnect between what they say they want and what they really want.

Comment

Sorry Emma, you don't deserve that.

Comment

Really uncalled for, hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
              Thank you. Seems like the owner decided to wait and let the fur grow out. I haven't heard back from her. It's interesting to me that people are so concerned about their pet's comfort, but then they ask groomers to do things that really ARE uncomfortable for the pet. Kind of a mental disconnect between what they say they want and what they really want.
              If people were "so concerned about their pet's comfort" why do they get it so neglected then?
              You did right, you did what was comfortable for the cat, that's your priority.
              I wish we all can get to the point when all we have to do is easy maintenance grooms on every 3-4 week dogs/cats. But sometimes you have to meet that never-been-groomed cat or dog and then you have to decide what is best for that pet,and sometimes it is not what their owner envision.
              Again, you did what's right and if owner disagrees, she is not the customer you want.

Comment

Thank you for being supportive I think I may need to do more "bragging" about my cat handling and grooming experience when I'm with owners, so that they understand that when I tell them something, I'm coming from a place of knowledge, training and experience. Even if what I'm telling them seems obvious -- "extensive de-matting hurts" -- I can't assume they'll accept what I say just because it's true, ha ha.

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                If people were "so concerned about their pet's comfort" why do they get it so neglected then?
                You did right, you did what was comfortable for the cat, that's your priority.
                I wish we all can get to the point when all we have to do is easy maintenance grooms on every 3-4 week dogs/cats. But sometimes you have to meet that never-been-groomed cat or dog and then you have to decide what is best for that pet,and sometimes it is not what their owner envision.
                Again, you did what's right and if owner disagrees, she is not the customer you want.

Comment

Working...
                X