In need of advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of advise

While I love my job, there have been some recent developements that are giving me some insecure feelings about my future at my place of employment.

It's not MY performance or anything, but the personal situation of my boss, that has me a bit concerned.

My question is:

Do I wait for the bomb to drop and her to tell me that I no longer have a job or do I start making some plans to make it on my own?

I have considered Housecall grooming as a viable alternative to opening a salon (which I don't have the money to do at this time) and have also considered holding out until she decides to leave grooming and take over this business (which I have had a hand building).

I can't really do the home grooming thing because I live in the boonies (which I love, btw) and feel it just wouldn't be finacially lucrative. While I'm sure that I could get the work done to have a salon at home (my BIL is a general contractor that would help me), I just don't think there would be enough customers out this far from town to keep me busy and paid.

What say you?

I think you really need to be telling your boss how you feel and ask her your questions.It is also a good idea to have an ace in the hole,a back up if it can be managed.Her personal problems are just that,hers.She maybe just as unsure her self.Talk to her if you can.Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

NeaNea, I live out in the boonies too. I actually moved from a small city to the boonies, lol actually Boonville, NC and opened my place. The first 3 months we averaged about 20 dogs a week. Now, 2 and 1/2 years later, we average 60 to 70 a week. You should go for it.

Comment

BTW,you have alot more where you are than where I am and I am doing just fine.You live in a nice area,upper middle class too.There is a nice vet clinic there are you close by?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggone View Post
          I think you really need to be telling your boss how you feel and ask her your questions.It is also a good idea to have an ace in the hole,a back up if it can be managed.Her personal problems are just that,hers.She maybe just as unsure her self.Talk to her if you can.Good luck and keep us posted.

We have talked about her situation and I just don't see her sticking it out (staying in grooming) for any length of time. She is talking about going back to school and doing something in biotechnology (which I think is great), but it's just very hard NOT being concerned for MY future. She's very touchy about groomers who go out on their own and has mentioned several times how she feels it's just wrong! She has said that I have the skills necessary to be able to continue grooming (on my own) if need be, but I really feel like she would take me leaving as a real insult and feel as if she has been "used".

Long story, short... She's not making the smartest business decisions and it's beginnning to get to me. I've got to have a contingency plan to fall back on and that's why I am here asking about Housecall grooming. I'd need to purchase my equipment, supplies, and figure out my market and advertising, should I decide to do this.

My home is located about 15 miles out of the nearest town in primarily a farming area. On my road (approx. 2 miles long) there are only about 9 houses. I'm not even in an easily found area OR on a main road. My home is located on a secondary, secondary road, lol, if that makes any sense.

I've considered Mobile, but then again, I gotta have some liquid funds for that (don't I?). I guess I'm just not sure WHAT my options are, but I know I don't want to work for someone else. I work TOO hard as it is (for someone else) and feel that (with my work ethic and devotion) my time would be better spent working my patooty off for MYSELF, plus, I'm no stranger to running a business (did it for nearly 20 years in another field).

Thanks for all your replies and please give me more advise!

Comment

Your in a bit of a pickel,sounds like you really may want to stick this out w/her.I say this because if she is looking to get out then you have a good chance of taking it over and the shop would be yours.She may be grooming you to do just this and just hasnt said it out loud to you ,or even to herself yet.She wouldnt feel "used" if you left if she didnt feel she has made an investment with you;her knowledge,expense and time.In the mean time buy a little here and there so you have your own equiptment to fall back on.The vet I mentioned has a good reputation and I have been scratching my head to remember the name...Timber something,beautiful building ,great location,do you know the place,do they have an in house groomer? This may be a good new start for you.You can still do a house call grooming or mobile in the future when your ducks are more lined up.Lots of hills there and since I am mobile I wouldnt like that.Just my thoughts since you asked.

Comment

I do respect her and everything she has offered and given me, that's why I'm so torn up about all of this. If and when I leave or if she chooses to leave, I want it to remain on good terms, but I know that sometimes that is not possible. I'm just hoping that she can work things out in her life to the point that she can be happy.

I'm not sure which clinic you are referring to. I am in Mebane (near Burlington) and it's not ringing any bells to me. Hills?
              What part of the state are you in?

Comment

I am on the crystal coast.Been to Mebane a few times to visit friends.I remember it being a bit hilly.The clinic building is a moutain lodge style place a few miles from the dump.It is flat as a pancake here so a bump in the road is a hill for me! lol

Comment

Why don't you offer her a reasonable amount for the business? That way you don't have to rebuild the business. Or just find out if she wants to sell her business.

Comment

Working...
                  X