Any Good Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Good Tips?

Hello Everyone! I am working on a career change. I'm new here and just learning. I hope to have a mobile grooming business, but I am thinking that out of necessity I may start out as a traveling groomer to get my start.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how they have handled this type of grooming business. What type of equipment they use and how they carry and organise it. Things to avoid doing as well as tips to make this type of business easier.

Thanks in advance! I love learning from you guys!

I'm currently a travel groomer. It has been a slow start for me but I'm starting to get more clients now. I have a portable table, my grooming bag that I keep all of combs, brushes, sissors, blades etc in. A high velocity dryer, a hand dryer, and a shop vac to clean up with after I finish. I'm hoping to have a trailer within the next couple of months.

Comment

There are many places out there that offer financing. Are you wanting a van or a trailer?
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Trailer or van? Hmmm...

Hi diamienono, I can't decide between a trailer or a van. The only reason I am hesitant about a trailer is learning to drive with it. I don't know if I want to pull a trailer, Yikes! Also parking concerns me, but I will probably be in a rural area. Anyway, aside from the pulling and parking, I probably would prefer a trailer. I guess I will get used to it. I could finance easily, but I am a tight wad and pay cash for everything. I think that I could save enough to purchase a nice used trailer in a year.

Comment

I am starting my own house call business as well, and I hope to save for a trailer. I saw someone say something about financing a trailer, and I would like some info if you know how I can get financed for one. I am starting out with a table, clipper vac tote, pro bather machine, dryer, and a PDA to store all of my clients info. As well as a rolling tack box to store all of my equipment.

Comment

Dont forget about the other big ones:
            Insurance
            Licenses or permits
            Business Bank Account
            Cell Phone
            Accountant or computer software to do it yourself
            Marketing

I started as a housecall groomer and made $$$ in no time. Within 3 months I had my husband helping me build my own van. 6 months later I made enough to put an inverter system in. In one years time I have a truck as efficient and professional as anyone. Its great!
            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Trailer financing

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
              I am starting my own house call business as well, and I hope to save for a trailer. I saw someone say something about financing a trailer, and I would like some info if you know how I can get financed for one. I am starting out with a table, clipper vac tote, pro bather machine, dryer, and a PDA to store all of my clients info. As well as a rolling tack box to store all of my equipment.
              Hi Poodlefluff! Your avatar is beautiful! Is that your baby? diamienono gave me information on where to get a grooming trailer with great finnancing. If you would like the info just send me a pm and I'll pass it along!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawsitively Purrfect View Post
                Dont forget about the other big ones:
                Insurance
                Licenses or permits
                Business Bank Account
                Cell Phone
                Accountant or computer software to do it yourself
                Marketing

I started as a housecall groomer and made $$$ in no time. Within 3 months I had my husband helping me build my own van. 6 months later I made enough to put an inverter system in. In one years time I have a truck as efficient and professional as anyone. Its great!
                That's really incouraging to know Pawsitively! Congratulations on your succiess! Did you find that clients were hesitant about you performing the grooming in their homes at first?

Comment

I do some housecalls. You want to blow out the big, hairy, shedding dogs outside if at all possible, or you'll have a HUGE mess to clean up!

Comment

Drop Cloths

I groomed out of my car for about a year before I got my van.
                    Clean up was really easy if you put a big plastic painters drop cloth on the floor. ($.99 at Home depot) After you are done just roll it up and throw it in the trash. Also get one of those hoses sprayers that go over the faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by TAILSRWAGON View Post
                      I groomed out of my car for about a year before I got my van.
                      Clean up was really easy if you put a big plastic painters drop cloth on the floor. ($.99 at Home depot) After you are done just roll it up and throw it in the trash. Also get one of those hoses sprayers that go over the faucet.
                      You either have a really big car or really small dogs lol. Does it never get cold where you are?
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I don't believe TAILS meant she groomed IN her car, Diamie... rather, she groomed "out of" her car, as her post says... doing house calls, like this forum is about. She lives in Spokane, WA and yes, they do get a winter there...

Comment

I Can't Stop Laughing...

Originally posted by pamperedpups View Post
                          I don't believe TAILS meant she groomed IN her car, Diamie... rather, she groomed "out of" her car, as her post says... doing house calls, like this forum is about. She lives in Spokane, WA and yes, they do get a winter there...
                          Oh my gosh! That is soooo silly! I'm laughing so hard I can't stop! I have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchfunbnme View Post
                            That's really incouraging to know Pawsitively! Congratulations on your succiess! Did you find that clients were hesitant about you performing the grooming in their homes at first?
                            Actually I think I was more hesitant at some of the places people wanted me to groom! Clean up was kind of bothersome because I worried that the area wasn't cleaned up enough or some people wouldn't let me clean up, they WANTED to do it?!?!

I really love having my truck though....I feel spoiled now compared to before, ya know. Makes me appreciate the career I have even more.
                            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great ideas and encouragement! Looks like this could be a very good way to get started out.

Comment

Working...
                              X