Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it take you longer to groom in someones home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it take you longer to groom in someones home?

I spent three hours the other day grooming a little cav-poo.

I figure 40 or so minutes dragging all your stuff in and out and then 2 1/2 hours for bathing, dematting, drying and grooming.

I know I am a little out of practice but it seems to take me so much longer grooming in people's house now that I don't have the pressure of having another dog waiting for me that's makes me want to do it any quicker, I just take my time.

It usually takes me 2 hrs from the car, back to the car, for one dog, about 3 hrs for 2 dogs in the same house. I loved not being rushed and keeping one eye on the clock. In the shop I do about 7 dog in 8 hrs, but I am in panic mode most of the day,, always afraid I won't be done on time.

Comment

Doesn't take me as long

It only takes me an average of 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to do a groom. This includes set up, cleanup and tear down. I have owned by
      business for 2 years now and have got it down to a science!

Comment

Have to see if I get quicker once I get used to it I've only just started doing housecalls.

Comment

depends on the breed ...

and how often they get done- 45 minutes for a biweekly havenesey type up to 3 hours stripping out an airedale/no bath.
          Oh yeah if mamma is home and wants to chat all timing is off...lol

Comment

i will be hopefully starting house call grooming in June/July.
            I figured for most dogs (min poodles, schnauzers, shih tuz) it would take about an hour and a half.

Comment

Yeah I figured two hours tops but went 1/2 an hour over that.

Could be since it was a first time customer I was being extra nit-picky or that I need to bring a different dryer it was my first time tyring the quick draw dryer. I liked it for the head and ears but it seemed to take forever.

Going to bring my regular Challenge Air force dryer next time and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dog Daze;403828]Yeah I figured two hours tops but went 1/2 an hour over that.

On housecalls, I groom differently than I would in a shop. I put them in the bath 1st thing, towel dry & comb them out, then let them air dry while I am doing nails, ears, etc, that helps cut down on drying time. Maybe changing your routine might help on your timing. I also keep a towel under them on the table untill they are dry, and use a hand towel against the skin while I am hv-ing them, seems to absorbe more water.

Comment

[QUOTE=RudyRoo;403833]
                  Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                  Yeah I figured two hours tops but went 1/2 an hour over that.

On housecalls, I groom differently than I would in a shop. I put them in the bath 1st thing, towel dry & comb them out, then let them air dry while I am doing nails, ears, etc, that helps cut down on drying time. Maybe changing your routine might help on your timing. I also keep a towel under them on the table untill they are dry, and use a hand towel against the skin while I am hv-ing them, seems to absorbe more water.
                  Yeah I am just getting a routine going I do keep the towel under them until they are dry, they go right in the tub and while they are sitting in Results Rinse I pluck and clean the ears. I do the nails as soon as they get on the table and then towel dry & comb out.

I made 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours the first couple of housecalls and this is the first time I changed my dryer so back to my new dryer - not to mention it was my first time doing this dog and her legs and a good amount of matting.

Comment

Omg yes.

I home groom for a lady who has 9 dogs. NOw most of them are chihuahuas but she has 2 Yorkies, a shih mix, and an ancient pom. I'm there literally all day. I don't have a table so I groom them on her bathrom counter, I've learned to bring a lead with me, I tie it to the bathtub faucet for bathing/ blowdrying and to the sink faucet during the groom, to keep the dogs from trying to flee. It does seem to take longer, probably cuz #1 in my shop, I'd be letting the short haired dry the last 30% in the cage, instead of blowdrying them 100% ANd because the blowdryer I use there is an old decrepid (sp?) thing I bought for $50 that only has 1 working motor. Also I can't set a long haired dog in a cage to finish drying say its face/feet while I bathe and start to dry another. The last time I went, I got there at aroung 5:15, and ended up leaving at 10:30 at night. I had worked at the shop during the day, that's why I started so late. Lol after 12 hours of straight grooming, I wasn't too sure I wanted to look at dog hair the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by animalRmyLife View Post
                      It only takes me an average of 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to do a groom. This includes set up, cleanup and tear down. I have owned by
                      business for 2 years now and have got it down to a science!
                      Same here!

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
                        and how often they get done- 45 minutes for a biweekly havenesey type up to 3 hours stripping out an airedale/no bath.
                        Oh yeah if mamma is home and wants to chat all timing is off...lol
                        Oh I love this part they offer you something to drink and or a snack makes you feel really good.

Comment

If it's a dog that will take some time to dry. I'll wrap them in a towel that way their body heat will speed things up. In the meanwhile I'll do nails and ears.

The first appointment always takes longer for me. You have to find where to set up, talk about styling, owner asking lots of questions.
                          That Tenacious Terrier!
                          www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                          https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Working...
                          X