Making it work through house-call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making it work through house-call?

Hey guys, with the setting up and tidying up after roughly how much longer does it take to do a groom, and how many dogs do you see to on an average day. I think its great that you guys can make a living out of this just working out how!
    Also are there any breeds that are a struggle to do house-call?

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:36 AM.

Comment

With housecall grooming you definately need to be very neat and organized. I have found that clean up is actually not too bad. I've taken a lot of care to get a rolling travel case that carries most of my supplies and to organize my supplies carefully so that I can work very efficiently. Also you want to be careful of using anything that could stain or scratch surfaces and where you set your supplies. I also carry a small shop vac for cleanup. I am doing average 5 dogs a day with no problems. The clients seem to really appreciate having thier pets groomed in their homes as well.

Comment

It does take longer

I allow for 1/2 hour to get in and set up plus clean up. Sometimes it's lots faster. If I cannot blow dry outside on a hairy dog, I keep them in the bathroom at least, as a smaller area to tidy. I have the Hanvey small size taxi vac that vacuums and drys too. I often only get three or four a day, but no big overhead, so it's just fine.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Thanks guys i'll take it all on board, do you ever get any new customers in shock at the amount of equipment needed? I did a house-call yesterday the lady owned a very large German Sheperd, i explained to her on the phone that i'd need to bring some bulky equipment with me to do the job and offered that if lack of space was an issue i could groom her dog at mine and that i was fully insured for drop off and collection. She insisted i went to hers and when i arrived she had a total look of shock when i came in weaving my table through her narrow doorways, i was very lucky not to scratch anything!

Both her and her husband were commenting on the flying hair, it took me an age to tidy up as i wanted to do a thorough job for them but couldnt help but think what did they expect with such a hairy dog! It didnt like the groom and there was some matting so i imagine they dont do too much themselves. It was a bad 1st experience for me i keep thinking did i miss inform them? the only positive was the dog did look and smell great at the end!

Comment

A Shepherd

I would prefer not to do if I couldn't dry it outside. I've turned some dogs away saying they would not be applicable for housecall grooming. (partly cause I suspicioned some difficulties too). I say that I bring more than I need the first time because I don't know the dog and households situation. One lady has teased me asking if I'm moving in? I would rather have what I need, but on some baths for instance, I bring a little case with brushes, nail clippers etc. and often no table for a big dog. I'll sit cross legged on the floor often. Again a bathroom is best for wiping clean and I take the cloth type paper towels to swipe up dampness and hair often.

You did fine, I'm sure. Actually sometimes when I say the dog wouldn't be a good candidate for Housecall grooming they'll start to try to get me. At that time I can say the problem with hair all over, and they are the ones that say then, Oh That's Okay, Fluffenbutts sheds all over anyway. It's then their choice, but I still admittedly clean it back to the way it was.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Edited.
              Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Additional time for set-up and clean-up

Total additional time, per customer, is averaging about 1 hour for me. However, I only groom dogs that are 40 lbs. or less. A full day for me is 3 housecalls, maybe 4 if I fit in a short-haired groom.

Comment

I have been doing house call grooming for 10 years. It is really hard in the beginning to turn away new potential customers = $ You will find out quickly that it is much more realistic to groom only small to medium sized dogs and dogs that don't shed terribly, when grooming the way we do. In the start of your business it may be worth your while to tolerate these type of dogs. That's just a personal decision you have to make. If you just groom the small to medium sized dogs you can minimize what you need to haul in with you. You won't usually need a table since you can usually just groom them on a dryer or counter top. You will also find you will maximize your profits with the smaller dogs as you will spend less time setting up, cleaning up, grooming the dog and you will get more money for the amount of dog your grooming. It seems like often people don't like to pay a fair price for the larger dogs but are ok with a decent price for the smaller dogs. Your back will thank you in the long run too. It is a good idea to explain very clearly to new clients what they are getting into before hand with a heavy shedder, if you are going to do them. Many clients will change their mind quickly if they know what a mess it will be. If you can't groom these type of dogs outside do to weather etc. I would advise a garage as many people don't mind if their garage isn't perfectly cleaned like their bathroom. set up and clean up time should not take to long maybe 10 - 20 minutes. With the exception of the heavy shedders. Which if done outside or in a garage even that is a quick clean up.

Extra tip: If you have a new client who seems distressed about your price quote or even tries to talk you down on the price. Offer to let them bathe the dog the night before and take off 10 bucks. I have found the cheap clients love this and it will save you at least a half hour or more on bathing and drying. This also takes the pressure off of you when it enevitably happens. Best of Luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X