So much to think about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much to think about...

I'm sorry I have soo many questions and I know you have all been in my shoes starting out.
    For those that have a converted garage salon...what do you use to heat and cool the area?
    -Did you remove the garage door and put in a window and man door or did you put a man door on the side of the garage?
    -Did you leave the floor concrete?
    -Did you put up a wall so your table is slightly hidden? (Dogs are soo distracted when someone walks in)
    -How did you section off your entree way?
    -Do you have cages or runs?
    Thank you all!

Haven't done it but will give some 'from the consumer side ' feedback

Change out the garage door. I don't want it to look like I'm dropping my pet off in a garage even if I know I am.

Concrete floors are fine if clean and even polished ( check out Home Depot ).

Make the reception area look like one - have a desk or counter, a couple chairs for clients, put an area rug in that space ( or carpet squares that are easy to hose off ) or even paint that area of the concrete floor - anything to create the atmosphere that shows you put in effort and are concerned about details
    Select a salon theme. Are you young and cutesy or do you strive for a more sophisticated look? Artsy or Zen? Stay consistent , again attention to details.
    Separate your actual grooming area from the front. If working alone invest in a camera and an automatic front door release ( or use s sign and a bell system) and keep your front door locked when you are working on dogs out of sight of door.

Invest in a couple cages and use them to house your canine clients.

Comment

Good advice so far. In my home shop (not a garage, but a separate 12x12 building), I have a wall unit that's both heat and ac. Works well. You can separate your grooming space with something simple like a picket fence with a gate, and your counter taking up part of the space. Make part of your counter low enough that clients can place their dog on it for your evaluation. With a home shop, you won't have many people just stopping in to disturb the dogs. Make it by appt only to keep your sanity. When I had the plumbing put in, I added a toilet-don't have to go into the house if I have to 'go', and it's great for flushing down the inevitable 'poop'. I groom one at a time, but you definitely need crating areas for pets to wait for pick-up and for multiple families. Nothing worse than dogs running loose while you work.
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Hello this is my first time responding to a thread I have a small converted garage salon 10 x 13. I have a wall mounted ac and dehumidifier and separate electric wall heater. You can get one unit that does it all. I was trying to save money and only purchase the heater, turns out I had to install the ac unit shortly after as it was so hot in the summer (I live in Canada and was expecting my garage to be cooler) I took out the garage door and put in french doors which brings in a lot of natural light. I used a tinted epoxy on the concrete floor with the anti slip sand in it. It is very hard to clean and will probably have to redo my floor soon after only a year. My table is not hidden and I do not have a reception area. This hasn't been a problem yet for me and I only do one dog at a time. I have one large cage and a tie to attach a leash on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny123 View Post
          Hello this is my first time responding to a thread I have a small converted garage salon 10 x 13. I have a wall mounted ac and dehumidifier and separate electric wall heater. You can get one unit that does it all. I was trying to save money and only purchase the heater, turns out I had to install the ac unit shortly after as it was so hot in the summer (I live in Canada and was expecting my garage to be cooler) I took out the garage door and put in french doors which brings in a lot of natural light. I used a tinted epoxy on the concrete floor with the anti slip sand in it. It is very hard to clean and will probably have to redo my floor soon after only a year. My table is not hidden and I do not have a reception area. This hasn't been a problem yet for me and I only do one dog at a time. I have one large cage and a tie to attach a leash on the floor.
          Hey do you have any pictures of your shop? Specifically the french doors you used to replace the garage door? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 18yearslater5 View Post
            I'm sorry I have soo many questions and I know you have all been in my shoes starting out.
            For those that have a converted garage salon...what do you use to heat and cool the area?
            -Did you remove the garage door and put in a window and man door or did you put a man door on the side of the garage?
            -Did you leave the floor concrete?
            -Did you put up a wall so your table is slightly hidden? (Dogs are soo distracted when someone walks in)
            -How did you section off your entree way?
            -Do you have cages or runs?
            Thank you all!
            When I had a garage business we left our floor concrete after a thorough cleaning, and then we used concrete sealer. We use cages, no runs. We took off the garage door for a solid wall with 2 windows. We vented in heat from our regular home heater, and we put A/C in the window during the warm season. Our front counter helps divide up the entry area along with some partial wall divider we built with a gate...you can get gates at home improvement stores real easy. My table is just around the corner from the entryway wall so pets are only distracted by sound.

Comment

Working...
            X