How to schedule dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to schedule dog

For those of you that work at home by yourself. How do you schedule your dogs? How many do you groom in 1 day? I have never worked alone.

That depends on your clientele. Personally I have a mix of stay at home moms,retired and school teachers. Most drop offs are between 9 & 9 : 30 am. I close my doors and don't answer phone or knocks (can't hear them in garage anyway). I also offer delivery service. Those I pick up between 8 and 8: 40 so I can be back in time. My average is 6. Sometimes 4 sometimes 9. Depends on what dogs are on the books. I have 2 days clients can drop off as early as 7:30. What works for you

Comment

I'm mobile, alone and I usually book 4-5 dogs a day (I mostly have hand scissoring cut or clipper cut that I spend 1h 30 including traveling time between 2 dogs)
      If you know you spend 1h on a small clipped dog, or 2h on a scissored, 30min on a cotton monthly bath, etc. Then you book following your business hours.
      When I have a new client, I always add some time (like 20min) just in case if the dog doesn't like grooming, or is matted.

Comment

I measure my "hands-on time" and add 15 min. This allows for unexpected events...like a customer that needs to talk to me, a late customer, etc. I hand dry all the little guys, but about half of my clients are deshedds. I deshedd and mostly dry them by hand but then they go under the fan to finish while I work on someone else. I do not like being under the gun....yesterday I groomed 9, but most days it is 6 or 7. My customers like the low pressure atmosphere and pay me well. Most of them tip me. It is quiet and peaceful in my shop.

Comment

I'm similar to Countrygirl: timing every dog & adding 0-15 min extra, depending on the day. My diff is the inefficient method of only sked 1 at a time, except for multi-dog families. I charge a bit extra for the private/personal service & it's what most of my clients want & I'm not interested in ANY STRESS!!! They like my having the dog for only the time it takes to groom. 6-9/day, but I don't have many bath-only small dogs, which would easily increase the #. Because of the 1 at a time I charge a cancel/resked fee for less than 48 hr notice & keep a cancel list handy. When in doubt about time needed for a new dog I'll either sked last appt of day, or pad the time (and ask questions during initial call about home care, when last groom, normal frequency of grooms, tangles). Most of my clients sked next appt at p-u, but I keep a list of the "non pre-schedulers" and send texts to fill in my gaps. I TRY to "build" on existing appts...ie, not offering huge gaps of odd amts of time between slots. I am so happy with my little home shop.

Comment

You can schedule many different ways. Your set up, preference and clientele will also have a part in it.
            I'm a small one person salon, I have had employees and also have worked completely solo.
            You can have dogs come in groups am/pm, you can have them staggered in shifts of every hour, or a couple of dogs every few hours etc.
            If you have always had a bather, I suggest you book a few days lighter, with some time between to figure out your pace. You might spend more time explaining the changes in location to existing clients or chatting with new clients upon pickup .
            Keep in mind people are not always respectful of private business and you need to have your rules firmly in mind. Such as where potty area is, not allowing dogs to run free in your home and pee on your couch, or their sheppy jump on your kitchen table, or not waltzing in any day or hour cause they saw your lights on, not expecting you to run a free doggy day care... Etc.
            While you groom, examine times when say your one little dog is sitting in a warm towel for a moment, you could be bathing a chi, then wrap that one in warm towel and you dry the other dog .. Etc. Do what makes you happy. I will never be able to groom 12 dogs a day by myself, I goof around too much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

When I opened my home biz, the city only wanted 4 clients per day because of traffic. That was fine with me as I just wanted to do 0ne on one. I had them in at 9/11/1:30 and 3:30. Mine were mostly fluffy scissored cuts and cockers. I had an hour for lunch. Very few bath dogs, but they would be added as a 5th or 6th dog. New dogs, or difficult dogs came in at 3-3:30.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I work by myself but not in my home. I offer 7:30 appts for those who want to drop off before work & a spouse to pick-up after the groom. Right now I groom 4-5 a day depending on the breed/groom style. I do one dog at a time & usually 95% pick-up after the groom. Like the others I allow myself 15 extra minutes so I am not stressed & if I am interrupted for any reason. I usually call my clients a 1/2 hour before I'm done with their dog to let them know the time their dog will be ready for pick up. Again, this alleviates pressure/stress for me. My salon is small, cozy & very chill...just what my clients are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                  You can schedule many different ways. Your set up, preference and clientele will also have a part in it.
                  I'm a small one person salon, I have had employees and also have worked completely solo.
                  You can have dogs come in groups am/pm, you can have them staggered in shifts of every hour, or a couple of dogs every few hours etc.
                  If you have always had a bather, I suggest you book a few days lighter, with some time between to figure out your pace. You might spend more time explaining the changes in location to existing clients or chatting with new clients upon pickup .
                  Keep in mind people are not always respectful of private business and you need to have your rules firmly in mind. Such as where potty area is, not allowing dogs to run free in your home and pee on your couch, or their sheppy jump on your kitchen table, or not waltzing in any day or hour cause they saw your lights on, not expecting you to run a free doggy day care... Etc.
                  While you groom, examine times when say your one little dog is sitting in a warm towel for a moment, you could be bathing a chi, then wrap that one in warm towel and you dry the other dog .. Etc. Do what makes you happy. I will never be able to groom 12 dogs a day by myself, I goof around too much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                  I do 12 a day with bather, unless lots of biggies. To OP give yourself 2 to 3 hours from drop off to pickup and that should give you some edge.

Comment

Without a bather I used to do 7 or 9 a day depending upon breed and size and condition. I find figuring 2 hours per pet when I book with some overlapping of 30 minutes

Comment

I work alone as well. It's not that I don't get along with other groomers, cause I do, but my space is very small and I am very picky(a curse sometimes I know). I generally do one at a time straight through, but I have my clients overlap in drop off times. For instance, one dog comes in at 9, the next comes in for 10:15. So as soon as one is done, I can start on the next with no waiting around. Makes it easier to schedule a lunch/snack break too. I usually do 4-6 a day depending on the breed, cut, temperament etc. If I have a day of dogs that require more time and energy, I adjust my schedule accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would book similar to most here, but in blocks of 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                        X