• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance problems

I love my job as an at home groomer.
    My current clients love my services and quiet
    stress free environment. I groom only 1-4 dogs a day. I also
    train horses and have 3 kids in elementary school.
    This is why I choose at home grooming and not a commercial site or mobile.
    My previous insurance provider wanted to cancel
    my policy for not carrying farm insurance
    when I did not have to get it(I have less than 5 acres).
    My new insurance carrier will not insure my house if I have
    a business. I can not have a/any "business" anywhere on my
    property. Gibson Govenor will give me liability but then that
    voids my homeowners insurance policy? I am a little frustrated
    to say the least.
    What solutions have other at home groomers found?
    Thank You,
    Heather and the gang.

We had the same issue. Our current homeowners would only carry our home if we had the business insurance through them, which we ended up doing. What state are you in?

Comment

I have a home based business also. I have my business ins. through Gibson Gov. I have had a hard time getting home owners ins. I started my business after we got our home owners ins. But we have tried to change Ins. companies and no one will insure our house due to my business, so we are stuck with what we have now. I don't know why they do that to us, since we do have a separate business policy. It's very frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Hmmmm...I'm an at home groomer too, but had no problems getting insurance with Gibson and it didn't void the policy I already had on my home. My Salon is a completely seperate building though. I don't know how yours is set up or if it makes a difference. Maybe states are different too, in reference to policies. I definitely had a hard time finding an insurance company that would cover both home and business and finally just went with 2 different companies, but it has worked out fine otherwise. I can see why you're frustrated, I would be too! Hopefully someone else has some better insight for you on a solution. I am an at home groomer for alot of the same reasons as you and I wouldn't change a thing. I feel very blessed to be where I am! Good luck to you, let us know how things go for ya!

Comment

Heather in WV

Hello all and Thank You for your
          replies. I reside in West Virginia in
          a rural setting(6 miles from town).
          I am currently grooming out of my
          home's washroom(with an door to outside).
          I was wanting to build on a groom room this summer
          but, probably will not due to the insurance problems.
          I am glad to read that some at home groomers
          have not had insurance barricades.
          Oh, has anyone heard of a hampster ball looking object
          used over a dog's head? My client said that her last groomer
          used one on her dog. This was when she picked up her
          dog from me and I told her that he was a BITER. This
          was his 4th heavily matted /shave down also ( < :
          Thank You,
          Heather

Comment

I just posted a new thread with the same question!!!!! I'm having problems with my homeowners too. They won't cover a home based business. I'm calling other companies to see if I can switch homeowners. If I find anything I'll PM you. I'm in New Jersey.

Comment

No problem

Call Farm Bureau They will do everything.
              THey have a rural guardian program, and yes, they insure my business too.
              They are a cooperative, and they pay claims faster than lighting.
              They cover everything we own, and our life insur. Cars too.

The head thing is an air muzzle. About 90.00 made by the same company as the soft claws. Google air muzzle you will find it.

Comment

Gibson Gov can help you find a home insurance company. I am home based I had Nationwide they do not cover home bizs I swithched all my stuff to Grange they have my home and auto and gibson is my biz insurance.

Comment

I have State Farm. They are going to provide Commercial Liability Insurance for my attached garage/groom shop on a policy seperate from my Homeowners. The annual premium seems reasonable enough for the coverage I'm getting. But, they don't provide Professional Liability for medical, etc. if a dog is injured. Does anyone have Professional along with their Commercial Liability? Is it really necessary?

Stephen: Let me pipe in and everyone else too. Think of those articles we post here where pets are lost, harmed etc. OK you can say, you won't do that and I hope so. BUT, I can tell you this about the legal system. The first thing in the mind of the pet owner's attorney is, OK I will do this and it won't cost you anything but I want 33% to 50% of the claim awarded. So the lawyer says, hmmm, I wonder if the pet groomer has any assets so he/she can pay. BINGO, if you are a homeowner. The attorney will see how much equity, contents etc you have and say, well we can always go after that if there isn't enough insurance. They do what is called an asset search, and they love homes, and you said you were grooming where, in your home?

Comment

I am Incorporating my business and will have a Commercial Liability policy, but it sounds like I still need to find a Professional Liability policy to cover all my bases.
                    Any one have a lead on who to contact for that?

Unfortunately, people are sue crazy these days and I plan on protecting myself and hard earned assets as much as possible. In my state Incoporating is only $125., Annual Reporting is $25., tax prep. depends (but it's an expense we all have to pay yearly anyway), and my Commercial policy is a few hundred a year. It all seems worth it to me. IMO Commercial rent for just one month could be the same or way more. I'm not paranoid, just careful.

Comment

In the Middle

of this very thing right now. I haven't yet check it out but plan on it this week. Do most of you have you home base out of your garage? Mine is in my basement, I have a room that I do the grooming in and then the grooming tub right outside of the room. Does anyone else have a set-up near this? Does this cause more of a problem with Insurance?
                      "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

Originally posted by sherric704 View Post
                        I am Incorporating my business and will have a Commercial Liability policy, but it sounds like I still need to find a Professional Liability policy to cover all my bases.
                        Any one have a lead on who to contact for that?

Unfortunately, people are sue crazy these days and I plan on protecting myself and hard earned assets as much as possible. In my state Incoporating is only $125., Annual Reporting is $25., tax prep. depends (but it's an expense we all have to pay yearly anyway), and my Commercial policy is a few hundred a year. It all seems worth it to me. IMO Commercial rent for just one month could be the same or way more. I'm not paranoid, just careful.
                        Sherri, I incorporated for alot less. I am also in NC. Call the Secretary of State and they will help you with the paperwork on the phone. I forgot how much I paid but it was no where near $125. That was 4 yrs ago when I incorporated.

Comment

frustrated

hmm...intersting info. I am currently working for a large company in a grooming department been there 6 years now and ready to move on. My husband and I are basically renting. We live in a house his parents own and pay them the morgage, although we don't have a rental aggreement.
                          The business license requires the signature of the property owner. His mom is holding out on me and it's driving me nuts!! Two weeks after I asked her to sign the paper she has only given me "it doesn't look good, we have to talk when we have more time." THIS WAS IN AN E-MAIL!!! ARGH!!

So guessing the insurance said no??? Frustrated!

Comment

I will be

getting my business insurance from Gibson Governor. They are very reasonable. I have had no problems with my home insurance for my salon is not connected to my home.

Comment

Working...
                            X