let me pick your brains-home set up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let me pick your brains-home set up.

so, I usually think of things that have already been up and running. I know a ton of groomers groom in garages and outbuildings. Is there any manufacturer who makes premade grooming salons. You know the size of a shed or better, totally set up, functional and kind of like a grooming trailer without wheels and eye-catching??? Maybe even something that can be loaded on a trailer and carted across country (I know I am dreaming here)

I have an opportunity to purchase @ a really incredibly low price, a 2002 , 27' Holiday Travel Trailer, or tag-a-long, whichever you prefer to call it. I was thinking of maybe turning that into a Grooming Salon, it already has fresh water, grey water and all the other things needed to be mobile, except the tub and bathing system. I have most of the equipment needed, and making that into a traveling grooming salon.

I have never heard of a portable, transportable, totally furnished grooming unit that you would haul around on the back of a trailer. But, that's sounds like a new patient waiting to be put together.

Comment

What a great idea. A shipping container could work.

Comment

D'lightning, are you considering going mobile? Are you in/ or at home now? that 27' feet soiunds nice, but WOW 27' is alot to pull! How big a staff will you have? I was recently looking at trailers and saw one that was 4x6 ! Can't imagine grooming in a closet but there is always something out there for everyone.

sittingpretty

Comment

sounds cool. if its not available now, I can see it in the future. skully research some contractors, maybe you can be the prototype, and get one free or super cheap. there is a company near me that does truck and van conversions, although we ended up not going mobile, they were very excited at the prospect as they had never done a grooming van. they had done some medical trucks and their staff is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by petpalswi View Post
            sounds cool. if its not available now, I can see it in the future. skully research some contractors, maybe you can be the prototype, and get one free or super cheap. there is a company near me that does truck and van conversions, although we ended up not going mobile, they were very excited at the prospect as they had never done a grooming van. they had done some medical trucks and their staff is brilliant.
            you are brilliant. I never thought of that.
            Yep, I just thought for those of us who move around the country, or don’t necessarily want to go to peoples houses, an all inclusive little grooming cottage that could be transported, during a move only would be perfect. I could see converting a shed, but it sure would be nice if a company made nice looking little portable grooming cottages.

Comment

I saw for sale a fleet of ex school dental vans. They were small Isuzu trucks and inside were set up with a stainless steel counter and sink, toilet and bench seat and had all plumbing and fresh and grey tanks and aircon. They were diesel and had only done around 5000 kilometres. And they were only $20,000!!! Pity I dont want to do mobile.

Comment

I think you should do it! You should be the creator of "Scully's Portable Grooming Cottages"...I so would have bought one if they would have been available at the time I built my salon. That is an awesome idea.
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

That is so funny you thought of that, i was thinking about something like that about 6 months ago. I even talked to one of our friends about building one. LOL
                  What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

I want one!!!!!
                    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

When my lease is up in 5 yrs I am thinking of putting a bldg in my back yard for a home based shop. I have seen some cute pre fab sheds that look kinda like little log cabins that may be big enough to work. I am also keeping in mind a single wide trailer like the ones that are used on building job sites for offices. They can be had for cheap and are usually in good condition since they are usually sold after being used as a temp office.

My main concern w/using a used trailer like one of these would be being able to make it look nice and not like a cheap trailer.
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I know, wouldn't it be great to have like a little one room single wide type of thing that was pre-set up with a tub and electrical, that looked professional. I think a prefab business could make a killing on this. Maybe something that had a bunch of windows and could be seamlessly skirted with a porch put on until we needed to move it. I was so hoping someone had already done it.

Comment

Not yet sittingpretty.....but it is part of my business growth plans. I have already bought a building that I am currently renovating for a salon, but I also plan on extending my business possibly into Canada,(north of Toronto area) as I may be seeking a dual citizenship thingy.(6 months in Fl & 6 months in Canada). So, a traveling unit would be awesome. I would hire someone to run my shop(whom I can trust implicitly) in Florida while I was in Canada. It's still a work in progress but I am hoping to get all the technicalities done by 2012.

Comment

okay. I just came across an ad for a free standing, self serve pet wash. I think its a franchise, but it can be done. I dont know if I can give a website here but I will send you a private message. it really is cool concept, I wonder what kind of zoning laws you'd be up against though.

Comment

Working...
                            X