Ethics with clientele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics with clientele

I have been at the same grooming shop for 7 years now. It's been open 9. I am the one person who has stuck through thick and thin there. We have gone through every bad groomer experience that I think we could have. The customers usually think that I am the owner, etc. I am sure there are many who understand. I no longer have that job. I know that customers are trying to find me, but I don't know if I should get ahold of them or not. There was never any contract between my ex-boss lady and I. What can I do here? I live in Texas if that helps. And I am within 3 miles of the old shop. I have not gone anywhere else, because I am trying to get the funds to open my own place. But I do still have the means to take care of my clients.

If you were an employee you cannot legally contact them. When you open a new salon you simply run ads with your name and phone number.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

And if they call me, all is well, right?

Comment

If THEY initiate the contact its fine. No problems. Its when YOU contact them that the problem with legalities arises. If you see them at Walmart and say hi, you are fine. If they ASKYOU where you are you can answer them. BUT if you see them at Walmart and go "Hi! I am now working at so and so, PLUS call me to book your next appointment" you are crossing into illegal and unethical territory. If the CLIENT asks you are fine.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if this is an idea that you can use or not, but in our local paper I noticed an ad with a picture of a hairdresser. She said she no longer is at bla bla and is happy to announce she is now at >>>>>>>. Anyway, you could possible run an ad stating that you are no longer at bla bla and are happy to announce that you will be doing housecalls until you open your salon. This way anyone who wants to contact you can and you are not contacting them.
          Last edited by dbarcreations<3westies; 01-23-10, 10:20 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

re-thinking my post

Maybe if you decided to place an ad, it isn't necessary to mention your former salon, just state say you are happy to announce that you are now doing housecalls (used for example) and will will opening a new salon in the near future. People who want to continue your services will recognize either your face or name and can contact you.
            Last edited by dbarcreations<3westies; 01-23-10, 10:19 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by dbarcreations<3westies View Post
              Maybe if you decided to place an ad, it isn't necessary to mention your former salon, just state say you are happy to announce that you are now doing housecalls (used for example) and will will opening a new salon in the near future. People who want you continue your services will recognize either your face or name and can contact you.
              Yeah, its never a good idea to use the old salons name without permission.

Comment

Plus a lot of hair stylists are IC's and therefore own their client info.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Long time ago, me and my coworkers wanted to part ways with the shop we were working at and start our own shop near by. It didn't work out that way, we just all left within six months.
                  We asked an attorney for advise and he told us that if we mention other salon name in our ads, it will be open us to possible law suit. We could just say we are at XYZ now and be fine.

Comment

I have seen people leave a place and open a new shop with a name that included their first name, I assume so former clients could find them.

Example: K9 Cuts by John Doe

Comment

Working...
                    X