Debit/Credit Card Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debit/Credit Card Processor

How many of you home based or small business groomers have a debit/credit card processor?? I've been considering getting one, but it all looks soooo confusing. Is it complicated? Is it even worth it? TIA!

I own a storefront shop. I got one from the beginning and think it's well worth it. At my shop about 75% of customers pay with debit/credit. In this day and age many people (including myself) don't normally carry a lot of cash. I'd rather have someone pay with credit than a check....you know right about if there aren't sufficient funds and don't have to deal with chasing down customers for bad checks.

There is a fee obviously, mine is about 1.6% of the gross sale. We're talking $.65 or so on an average groom. But it's a convenience issue and most customers expect to be able to use a credit card everywhere these days.

Comment

I'm home-based and I take cash or debit. around 80% pay with their debit card and it's a big convenience for them & me.

Comment

I work out of my home and I do not have one. I have asked my customers if they would like me to get one. Most said no I take checks and cash. But if I had a shop I would take plastic.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! I have had so many people, the last couple months, ask about paying with their atm card. I wished I had looked into it sooner. I think I will go for it. Thanks again!

Comment

I am home based and I do accept credit and debit cards. A good portion of my customers pay with them due to the fact that I don't accept checks anymore. I am glad I have it!

Comment

Definitely worth it. I've been on my own with my own business for the last 14 yrs. and we've taken mastercard/visa for the last 3 of those yrs. I really like it, and we also do boarding so those totals after a customer comes back from a trip are pretty steep. If they are low on cash or in their checking account, they whip out the credit card.

Comment

I heard this is expensive to get started?
                HOw does it work? How do you get your money with a credit card? Then you have to send the company a check every month for the fee?

Comment

When you sign up for it, you give the Merchant account your bank acct. info. At the end of the day I can transmit my credit/debit charges or they will do it on their own after 24 hrs. It goes directly into my bank acct. I see the deposit in about 2-3 days. They take their fees right out of my acct. monthly. I don't worry about getting to the bank or writing them out a check. It is all done electronically. Sometimes the start up can be expensive because you need to buy the equipment. Sometimes you can get it cheaper on Ebay or lease it.

Comment

I don't know about the others on here but my processing company takes care of client's bounced checks too. I pay a fee of $95 a year, that covers that and if my credit/debit is below $1000 in sales in a month. I think it's pretty reasonable. My rates are pretty decent for processing the debit/credit cards too.

Also, I lease my processor. You can negotiate the price with some companies. I purchased a processor once and my phone line got hit by lightning within 2 days. It wasn't covered under warranty. I prefer not to claim that on my insurance, so back to leasing.

Comment

I use 123Pet and have CC thru them it's easy I don't even have to think about it. I did have to buy the software and buy the swipper, and I ut in road runner since I don't have a phone line. All told it cost about$400 to set it all up and is about 1.6 % avg/transaction and a $10 fee once a month. I prefer the fact that the software takes care of it all. It makes things a lot easier with the clients most do use debit cards.

Comment

Ok, so it took me an eternity to decide what to do. But I finally just took some advice from here and went with a great company that made it so simple for me. I'm SO excited!! The initial cost was $143 for the processor and 7.95 a month (they supply paper, insurance in case it gets struck by lightning, etc.) then that 1.6% from each transaction. Unless it's a debit transaction, those are cheaper - a flat .59 cents I believe. Anyway, I'm happy! I'm not that extremely hi tech, and this seemed a bit out of my league. All in all, it has went well. Now I can't wait for people to ask, do you take credit or debit? Oh yah...

Oh and Plexi, they debit the 7.95 and other fees from my checking. Within 2-3 business days the money that is being charged is put directly into my checking account. Very simple. And better than anything, I'm looking forward to cutting down on the number of returned checks.

Comment

I work out of my home and take cash and checks. I've only had one client ask if I take credit cards/debit in the 13 yrs.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

Working...
                          X