How long for buisiness to take off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for buisiness to take off?

Hi everyone, I'm going to be having a baby and am trying to decide if I should start up a home based grooming business. I'd love the freedom to be able to groom evenings and weekends and be able to be home for the baby. I'm wondering, would you PLEASE share with me about how long it took you to start making decent earnings? and by that, I mean having a full schedule at least three days a week or so. If I do this, I'm going to advertise in several papers and websites, etc. I'd appreciate your help very much. also-are people really concerned with the look of the shop? I would just be starting out in the garage, so nothing fancy at all, but do have all professional equipment of course! Thanks SO much.

It may depend on your location, but I've heard 1 year is about how long it takes to support one person, and 2 years makes a successful grooming shop. On the other hand, I've been open for 8 months and we're supporting 2 people right now because we have no formidable competition.

As for the look of your shop, I think it matters a lot. We have people every day that come in and say "OMG, it's so cute! OMG, it's so clean! OMG, it smells so good... not like that other place."

Comment

I agree with Chicken. People like going to a nice place to take their pets. I have alot of people comment on our shop also and how the other places are run down. Within the first couple of months I was making my goal but it does depend on your location and abilities. Do you have experience?

Comment

a good solid 18 months is how long I had to wait. look around, I hired a girl who had a baby and she brought him with her. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Chihuahualover View Post
          Hi everyone, I'm going to be having a baby and am trying to decide if I should start up a home based grooming business. I'd love the freedom to be able to groom evenings and weekends and be able to be home for the baby. I'm wondering, would you PLEASE share with me about how long it took you to start making decent earnings? and by that, I mean having a full schedule at least three days a week or so. If I do this, I'm going to advertise in several papers and websites, etc. I'd appreciate your help very much. also-are people really concerned with the look of the shop? I would just be starting out in the garage, so nothing fancy at all, but do have all professional equipment of course! Thanks SO much.
          Hi Chihuahualover and WELCOME!! It sounds like you're going to be busy! I opened my own home Salon (in my garage too) last year. We completely remodeled the garage though. It may not be as nice as some, but I get compliments on it (there are pics of it somewhere on this board) and I too, think appearance is essential. But it doesn't have to be perfect either, I think cleanliness makes up for alot of imperfection. I think you could feel your way thru that one and get by. As for clientele - I keep pretty busy. I groom anywhere from 3-5 dogs a day and anywhere from 3-4 days a week...Just depends. That's what's nice about home grooming and being your own boss - You can schedule grooms to meet your needs as well. Within 2 months I was able to be self supportive. I have our local Vet here to thank for TONS of referrals - I don't advertise at all anymore. I am also the only groomer in town, but there are plenty around just not in town where I am at. Hope I helped answer some of your questions. Good luck and keep us posted!!! Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Comment

It took me 2 1/2 years to get good reliable clients. I have doubled my income every year since I started.This year if I double I will be at my max.

Comment

Working...
            X