New post about clipping out pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New post about clipping out pads

I wrote this in 2014 and failed to hit publish. This week a Facebook group was actually discussing this saying if you don't shave out pads you are "lazy" and "unprofessional".

I am neither one.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...s-that-is.html
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I have never heard of someone being called "lazy" if they don't shave out pads, that's bizarre! I also am a fan of skimming, that's the way I was taught anyways...I typically use a #30 though, unless the dog has crazy sensitive feet, then I use a #15. The only exception is my Chow/GSD mix in the winter, if he has too much hair in between his pads it holds ice, snow or salt like crazy and he cries and cries! I just skim minimally in the summer for him.

Very well written!

Comment

Pretty sure I remember that thread. Amazed me how many groomers did not realize that a lot of breeds were breed to have furry feet for protection. Not that there are many working dogs or sled teams now a days, but it does serve a purpose for some breeds.
      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Good post parti

Comment

I have noticed quite a difference in opinion/ method based on where you live. At a seminar by Isabella de joner from Spain, she didn't clip out a single foot, only scissored flush with pad. Because of heat and the pavement. Here in central Alberta it's never that hot, I clip all pads with#40, exception being winter if they don't use boots, or outdoor working dogs. I find the clipped out feet gives the old guys grip on the floors.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone needs to tell some of the vets around here. Just like they like pristine, completely hairless ears to avoid yeast, they like the same in dogs with yeasty feet. Completely shaved Poodle feet have been prescribed regardless of breed. I don't have strong feelings either way and have some dogs that get scissored or skimmed feet, but the vast majority are scooped out with a 40 and Clipper Vac, meaning I get a fairly close shave without the blade actually making contact. When in Rome, I guess. I would never tie anyone's professionalism to whether they clip or buzz, though. That's just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
              I wrote this in 2014 and failed to hit publish. This week a Facebook group was actually discussing this saying if you don't shave out pads you are "lazy" and "unprofessional".

I am neither one.

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...s-that-is.html
              Good post Parti.

Comment

Working...
              X