• Show
Clear All

• PRICING - Excerpt From The Successful Pet Groomer

New blog —

PRICING - Excerpt From The Successful Pet Groomer

http://groomwise.typepad.com/the_suc...t-groomer.html
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Very relevant and excellent article. 10 years ago we were one of those that offered major discounts to bring people in. (very small town, nobody knew us). And, we are now paying for it. Even with extremely low prices we can't compete with the other grooming place in town. (they charge prices from 25 years ago, still in business after 3 years). We lost about 20% of our business when they opened. Now another business opened not far from us, they charge more. We still lost about 15 very regular, longtime (7+ years) customers.
    People are fickle I guess, no winning either way.

Comment

I have never discounted my prices, one of my best decisions. Made my share of mistakes, but not this one. Good article.

Comment

I don't take tips into consideration when pricing. However, I have a few clients who do tip and it's usually 20%. They seem to think it is expected. Would you not raise their price as much as the others? Is there a way to let them know tipping is not required? It's kind a awkward.

Comment

We simply say tips are appreciate but never expected, but make sure the groomers you hire go along with that before you hire them.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeedoodlepoodle View Post
            We simply say tips are appreciate but never expected, but make sure the groomers you hire go along with that before you hire them.
            I don't even have the nerve to bring up tipping. Maybe as I make my front counter area more professional I can add a small sign. My assistant is on board. I told her most people do not tip and not to count on any tip money but rather think of it as a bonus if we get any.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJL View Post
              I don't even have the nerve to bring up tipping. Maybe as I make my front counter area more professional I can add a small sign. My assistant is on board. I told her most people do not tip and not to count on any tip money but rather think of it as a bonus if we get any.
              I think it's hard to bring up tipping unless you have a receptionist. I used to work at a shop where the receptionist that took payment always asked if they'd like to leave the groomer a tip. Tips increased almost 50% when they started asking and they did it so politely I don't think anyone was offended. Also helps if you have a credit card swipey thing that has a tip spot I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
                Also helps if you have a credit card swipey thing that has a tip spot I think.
                You would think that having a spot for tip is helpful, but some people are so oblivious to what they are signing. There is a screen with total amount, different tip amounts (5-20%, custom) and stil after they signed and all done they ask "how much was that?"

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                  You would think that having a spot for tip is helpful, but some people are so oblivious to what they are signing. There is a screen with total amount, different tip amounts (5-20%, custom) and stil after they signed and all done they ask "how much was that?"
                  For sure haha... well we can only do so much

Comment

I would not say anything about tipping. Just a thank you so much! They are tipping you because they want to. Must be the excellent customer service and grooming skills. They are appreciating you.
                    As long as you're getting your happy price it's all good!
                    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding. And I think I need to buy "The Successful Pet Groomer".

Comment

Working...
                      X