Grooming elderly pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming elderly pets

As this topic is near and dear to my heart, I would like some feedback on the blog.
    www.groomwise.com/pet_first_aid_care. or click to the right of this post.

thanks
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Mary, that was wonderful! Where did you get your hip supports? It sure looks a lot more comfy than the belly band I'm stuck with. And waterproof cushions in the tub? Absolutely inspired!! Im gonna pick up some boat cushions at WallyWorld tomorrow! How do you keep them from slipping around the bottom of the tub, though?
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Both romani and hanvey make them. check the sponsor link for contact info.
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Mary I actually advertise that I specialize in senior pet grooming. I LOVE grooming the older pets. I justhave a special place in my heart for them. I have a squichy rubber matt in my tub to help prevent slips, but never thought of waterproof matts. An anti-fatigue matt on the table in a great idea too. I have been loading up the table with soft towels for them to lay on. I an still do that but use fewer with the matt and then the towle can help absorb water! Many of the seniors I do lay down for the entire groom which is just fine with me. With the way my table is set up I would not be able to have a hip harness on both sides of the table, but I never force them to stand or sit. And I am very happy that my clients understand that I strive for comfort, not perfection and none have ever complained about whatever the finished product has been. Grooming the old pets is so gratifying for me and I'm glad there are others who feel the same way. There is ONE thing I hate about grooming the senior pets, and that's the fact that I lose them more quickly and it always hurts so much. It's so easy to get attached and sometimes I do wish I had been able to see them in their hayday, but I am honored to be able to groom them at this point in their lives and make it easier for them.
        What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Thanks, I am new to grooming and this was so helpful. It opened my eyes and made me stop and think before I design my shop to make sure that it is user friendly for all our pets including our senior pets. Im sure you saved me money in costly mistakes while designing.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Diane

Comment

The one downside to grooming the seniors, is that I lose them. The black lab in the photos has since gone over the RainBow Bridge. The photos were just taken a month ago.

Comment

Great blog. I love the anti fatigue mats and waterproof tub cushions. I only do what the old pet can handle, sani is first then whatever else is done, not pretty but when we get there I hope someone cares about us the same way. One of my favorite poos is in the end of cushings, used to be in a modified saddle now Dad wants it easy on the poor ol dog, hurt my heart when he laid for most of the groom first time today.. thanks for reminding me to take it easym and teaching newcomers how to care for the elderly.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                Im gonna pick up some boat cushions at WallyWorld tomorrow! How do you keep them from slipping around the bottom of the tub, though?
                Use a regular bathmat, or if a large stainless tub - 2 of them, under the cushions.
                You can also use the ripply stuff that goes under throw rugs that keeps them from sliding around on slick floors.

Great article Mary...
                Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                X