best tools for building my kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best tools for building my kit?

hi I just finished the grooming academy and want to start building my kit.
    I already have clippers and shears but I find them heavy on my hands
    for clippers I use the andis super speed 2 , and for shears I have geib gators .
    The shears I don't mind too much but I would like some recommendations if anyone knows anything Lighter.

I also find the size of the shears a bit hard to work with around the face their a size 8.5

if anyone can recommend lighter clippers/shears, smaller shears for around the face, and what your favorite brushes/combs,blades, and nail clippers are it would be much appreciated. thank you!

What are the main breeds in your area?
    My suggestions are :
    Wahl Bravura and stainless steel comb set
    (Keep the andis, some pets require it and is an awesome back up)
    Scissors-
    II really like Kenchi shears. They can be pricey but they have a great range of pricing and sizes. I think Particentral had a link to a discounted shear company.
    If it's possible you want to handle the shears. Having lived in rural areas in the past it may difficult for you to do that. We all have a different hand. Try calling Jeff at northern tails he might be able to help. It is difficult to fit to hands Without you there though. Without having to spend alot of money, for short shears I have gone to Sallys beauty. They carry 2 brands that work well for tight trim work on faces i.e. lip hairs, corners of eyes, ear tips, around nails (poodle feet) and tiny dogs They areArius Eickhert and Cricket. They run about 40- 50 dollars. They will last awhile if you take care of. Maybe look for a 7.5 shear, Geib, I don't like them at all. What is your budget for shears?
    I know many have spoken of tuffer than tangles brush. Very inexpensive. I have no hands on experience using it. I would get a Chris Christensen T brush. Both sizes. These are awesome! And my favorite slicker is from four paws. Red and black medium slicker.
    Nail trimmers, Miller's forge orange handle big ones. For a smaller pair, JW pet has some And a good pair of cat claw trimmers. I think Cyn commented on a silver pair she ordered from Amazon.

Comment

A must have is a Wahl Bravura clipper. I cannot groom without it. It's super light, quiet and cordless. You have the ability to switch from a 40 to a 30,15,10 or 9 without removing the blade. Great with snap on combs but great for hard to reach areas, pads, scooping eyes, sanis. I only use my regular corded Andis 2 speed for thick coats and full body strips where a #7 or 5 or 10 is used.

I have 18 different shears in various sizes. There is no 1 single best all around shear and size. You do need curved, straight and a 40 something tooth thinner. 8 inch is a good middle of the road size. I have 6.5 all the way to 10 inch shears. Best way is to actually feel the shears. Some places let you return them for another if you don't like them.

I use thinners mostly on faces so they typically are 6 inch and do not have a sharp pointed end which are much safer to work with and leave a better blended finish on faces.

For brushes I used long pinned slickers like Tuffer than Tangles from Ryans Pet. I use Activet brushes for dematting. Chris Christensen butter combs. Nail clippers I use just regular plyer type in small and large. Get a Dremel for nail grinding and smoothing sharp edges after clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
        What are the main breeds in your area?
        My suggestions are :
        Wahl Bravura and stainless steel comb set
        (Keep the andis, some pets require it and is an awesome back up)
        Scissors-
        II really like Kenchi shears. They can be pricey but they have a great range of pricing and sizes. I think Particentral had a link to a discounted shear company.
        If it's possible you want to handle the shears. Having lived in rural areas in the past it may difficult for you to do that. We all have a different hand. Try calling Jeff at northern tails he might be able to help. It is difficult to fit to hands Without you there though. Without having to spend alot of money, for short shears I have gone to Sallys beauty. They carry 2 brands that work well for tight trim work on faces i.e. lip hairs, corners of eyes, ear tips, around nails (poodle feet) and tiny dogs They areArius Eickhert and Cricket. They run about 40- 50 dollars. They will last awhile if you take care of. Maybe look for a 7.5 shear, Geib, I don't like them at all. What is your budget for shears?
        I know many have spoken of tuffer than tangles brush. Very inexpensive. I have no hands on experience using it. I would get a Chris Christensen T brush. Both sizes. These are awesome! And my favorite slicker is from four paws. Red and black medium slicker.
        Nail trimmers, Miller's forge orange handle big ones. For a smaller pair, JW pet has some And a good pair of cat claw trimmers. I think Cyn commented on a silver pair she ordered from Amazon.
        The nail clippers are the Resco Pro Series. ...come in 2 sizes, a bit pricey for nail clippers but they are the best I have ever used. Cherrybrook has them.
        I agree with the Bravara w/SS comb attachments and the dremel Micro Mini ROCKS!
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Oh, also a Tuffer than Tangles brush fan. .....all 3 of them....Cherrybrook also has this brush as well as the Resco Pro Series nail trimmers.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Oh yes! Dremel micro fan. The cat claw trimmers are good for dogs with tiny nails, curled around few claws and cutting rubber bands to remove from the bows that get left in! You also want a good leave conditioning spray. I like best shot revitalizing mist. K9 competition instant dematter is like liquid gold when it comes to mats. Others here like stazko and cherrybrook. I tried stazko spray years ago. Smelled like cinnamon something to me. Probably not what it smells like to others.

Comment

Working...
            X