Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lefty Groomers! Can I Rant? I have some ?'s for You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty Groomers! Can I Rant? I have some ?'s for You!

Hello!

As a Lefty groomer our shears are more expensive and come in less varieties compared to what Right-handers have available to them! Also can I get started on these common nail clipper brands! Forgive me for not knowing the exact name of it but on most nail clippers there is a metal lever that if tilted to the left it falls down and locks the clippers into the closed position! If you are holding the nail clippers right side up in your left hand than gravity automatically flings the lever into the closed position! Ah!! So I have a few questions for all of you...

1) What Lefty shear brand has been your favorite; if you haven't found one tell me the ones you tried and thought were poop

2) Have any of you found a pair of good nail clippers that don't have that infuriating metal piece that locks the clippers into the closed position? (I have just been flipping my nail clippers upside down so it doesn't engage the lock but it doesn't cut the same and if it is held the "correct way")

3) This is just for fun but is there anything that you have experienced as a lefty in grooming that has irked you? For me it has always been owner's of shops wanting their tables or rather grooming arms facing a certain direction when that is almost always accommodating to the right handed groomers.

Thanks for listening to my little fit but I feel like I needed to get this out to someone because all the groomers in my salon are right handed and I have no one to complain to lol! Even if no one reads or responds I will still feel better haha!
    Attached Files

So glad you asked! I've been using lefty scissors ever since I could get my hands on them!! Sewing.. yes!!!! No more.. where's the line of the mark on the pattern. And dog grooming! Yes!! Some groomers get used to righty scissors, but I'm a doof and have never mastered that skill.

My favorites are Perfect Groom by Ryans. Workhorses! I have like many. Second are Heritage Stiletto sold at Groomer's Mall. I have several of those. Third... Affordable Grooming Shears.. just a lovely shear! And fourth are Spider? Spyder? by Kenchii. But.. I don't pick them up as often as I do the Perfect Grooms. The Geib lefty shears I have, have a short scissor blade, like 3".. even though they are a 7.5.. short short... don't like them. I have yet to find a really nice, finish shear that isn't $300.

Nail clippers. People don't understand the struggle lolol. No.. seriously. If people were to take a pair of say, right handed sewing shears, put them in their left hands, and try to cut a pattern out.. the would see that the way the scissors are designed, you CANNOT see the pattern line. Your hand, the scissors.. that black line on the pattern is just gone. So it's kind of a guess work. Nail clippers are the same way.. it's like guess work on where that quick is. But if righties would put a pair of nail clippers in their left hands.. they'd see that you THINK you are going to cut where the blade is.. then SAHPRISE... the blade that cuts is actually closer to the nail than what you thought. Bam.. quicked. I do more damage with a pair of nail clippers.. so I really stick to a dremel. Yes.. I've tried holding them upside down.. but it isn't the same. And I don't have the dexterity in my right hand nor strength to use them. I only use them on long, long nails that I can finish with the dremel.

I designed my own shop, so my table and it's position, my driers, even my tub is all for me . But some of my crates open right.. and that is a minor annoyance.

Oh I could go on and on about the struggles lol. Mixers, microwaves, sewing machines, pencils, pens.. hahaha.. did you know we push pencils and pens thus using more ink and lead than a right handed person. The mouse for the computer!!! Books!!!! Books are just wrong, hahahaha, for us lefties. First thing I do with a magazine, pick it up, and start at the back! OMG.. I had this.. how shall I say it.. "issue" with a family member over invitations. Yes.. invitations. Why? Because apparently, I, as a lefty, put cards in backwards and it drives this person crazy. So.. this person, was doing invitations for a rather large event and said.."Don't put them in the envelopes.. I'll do it. Yours will be backwards." Well... funny.. every time I pull mail out of an envelope, Christmas cards,etc....they are upside down when I pull them out.. I don't care. My kitchen has been designed for my lefty pleasure. Hanging clothes even!!! Righties are not allowed to hang my clothes hahahaha. It's just wrong to hang things hanging left.

Okay.. actually I've adjusted after 60 years on this planet. But I have to tell you... this is the weirdest thing ever and I about boxed my dh's ears. He is right handed and irons left handed. And I iron right handed. WHAT the heck screwed that up??? Early in our marriage we had jobs where clothes needed ironing every morning and it was a race to see who could get to the ironing board first. I told him to change lolol. His brilliant solution?? An ironing board on the wall, that swivels. Marriage saved lol.
    Debbie
    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

That little piece of metal on your clippers ALSO bothers right handed people. You can take needle nose pliers and bend it or super glue it open. OR you can take it to an auto repair garage and I bet those guys could do a number on it !!

Happy being a lefty

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by daesue View Post
        So glad you asked! I've been using lefty scissors ever since I could get my hands on them!! Sewing.. yes!!!! No more.. where's the line of the mark on the pattern. And dog grooming! Yes!! Some groomers get used to righty scissors, but I'm a doof and have never mastered that skill.

My favorites are Perfect Groom by Ryans. Workhorses! I have like many. Second are Heritage Stiletto sold at Groomer's Mall. I have several of those. Third... Affordable Grooming Shears.. just a lovely shear! And fourth are Spider? Spyder? by Kenchii. But.. I don't pick them up as often as I do the Perfect Grooms. The Geib lefty shears I have, have a short scissor blade, like 3".. even though they are a 7.5.. short short... don't like them. I have yet to find a really nice, finish shear that isn't $300.

Nail clippers. People don't understand the struggle lolol. No.. seriously. If people were to take a pair of say, right handed sewing shears, put them in their left hands, and try to cut a pattern out.. the would see that the way the scissors are designed, you CANNOT see the pattern line. Your hand, the scissors.. that black line on the pattern is just gone. So it's kind of a guess work. Nail clippers are the same way.. it's like guess work on where that quick is. But if righties would put a pair of nail clippers in their left hands.. they'd see that you THINK you are going to cut where the blade is.. then SAHPRISE... the blade that cuts is actually closer to the nail than what you thought. Bam.. quicked. I do more damage with a pair of nail clippers.. so I really stick to a dremel. Yes.. I've tried holding them upside down.. but it isn't the same. And I don't have the dexterity in my right hand nor strength to use them. I only use them on long, long nails that I can finish with the dremel.

I designed my own shop, so my table and it's position, my driers, even my tub is all for me . But some of my crates open right.. and that is a minor annoyance.

Oh I could go on and on about the struggles lol. Mixers, microwaves, sewing machines, pencils, pens.. hahaha.. did you know we push pencils and pens thus using more ink and lead than a right handed person. The mouse for the computer!!! Books!!!! Books are just wrong, hahahaha, for us lefties. First thing I do with a magazine, pick it up, and start at the back! OMG.. I had this.. how shall I say it.. "issue" with a family member over invitations. Yes.. invitations. Why? Because apparently, I, as a lefty, put cards in backwards and it drives this person crazy. So.. this person, was doing invitations for a rather large event and said.."Don't put them in the envelopes.. I'll do it. Yours will be backwards." Well... funny.. every time I pull mail out of an envelope, Christmas cards,etc....they are upside down when I pull them out.. I don't care. My kitchen has been designed for my lefty pleasure. Hanging clothes even!!! Righties are not allowed to hang my clothes hahahaha. It's just wrong to hang things hanging left.

Okay.. actually I've adjusted after 60 years on this planet. But I have to tell you... this is the weirdest thing ever and I about boxed my dh's ears. He is right handed and irons left handed. And I iron right handed. WHAT the heck screwed that up??? Early in our marriage we had jobs where clothes needed ironing every morning and it was a race to see who could get to the ironing board first. I told him to change lolol. His brilliant solution?? An ironing board on the wall, that swivels. Marriage saved lol.
        Wow never thought about those obstacles.

Comment

Agree w/ Absolute....wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my kenchii offset 5 star leftys. I have the thinners, 7 in curves and 9 in curves. For straights, I still use the Heritage Stilettos I started with, but I'll be upgrading those soon.

As for nail trimmers, I just use the Safari brand ones, guard removed, and I switch between hands as needed.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi all,
              I'm a lefty and go through so many of the frustrations I've read about here. As for the nail clippers, I found a pair at an expo that are called Scissor-Style Nail Clippers. I looked online, and (although they say small) I'm 95% sure it's the same ones I have. They are made by Paw Brothers and are red and black in color. I only have to use the standard ones when I have a super huge dog.

I haven't been grooming long enough to add anything to "shear brands", but I do have a question on a specific brand. The brand is Jonetsu , and they are pricie for sure I don't mind the investment, but I don't know anything about them (no reviews). If anyone here has them, knows about them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks =)

Comment

Lefty righty try being both, getting a pair made by Randy. Found a pair with the finger holes I liked and picked out a pair with the blades I like and he will dissect and reconstruct. Frankenscissors. I will tweek the length of the cutting blades myself and change the cutting angle to suite. There comes a time when enough is enough tired of stuff that sort of fits not really.

Comment

Shears- Geib - but I just learned to use right handed shears as well
                  Nail clippers - you can take the guard off, I never use it anyways~ I use 99cent only store nail clippers and love em. Can use them righty as well
                  Dremel - If you open it up and flip the motor 180 it will spin the opposite way and you'll have a left handed dremel.

Comment

Working...
                  X