are these combs worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these combs worth it?

right now i have the regular set of wahl attachment combs. both the other groomer and i have a few of those doodle clients that want their dog to be long and fluffy. in these situations, the longest wahl comb (1 inch) seems to be too short and people are shocked (and we have had one person cry) when they see their dog in the "longest" length. not everyone wants to do "Feet-face-tails", as we call it, and they want a full groom. i am looking into buying the oster 1.5" and 2" attachment combs. does anyone have these and are they worth it?

Thanks!!

My opinion, anything over an E comb gets done by hand. Personal preference. I have difficult time with super long c ombs and I get more accomplished with a pair of scissors chunker and thinners faster

Comment

Originally posted by The Dusty Muzzle View Post
      My opinion, anything over an E comb gets done by hand. Personal preference. I have difficult time with super long c ombs and I get more accomplished with a pair of scissors chunker and thinners faster
      Agree, even though I don't think I personally would hand scissor a Doodle, luckily most of our Doodles are in 1/2 inch cuts.

OP, anything longer than clip comb cut = hand scissoring and should be charged accordingly.

Comment

Are they worth it? I think so. We have a set. We don't use it often, but it's nice to use to "set a length" when someone wants a very long haircut.

we handscissor, and charge, for anything that is over the length of a 4F. The clip-on combs set a length so we can be consistent from groom to groom.

I do have to say, the metal clip-on combs are so nice. Not as much handwork is needed to get a really nice hairdo.

And it's not all about the scissor work for charging more. Because of the extra length of coat, they require more time to prep, shampoo, dry, etc.

Anyway...yes, I would recommend a set. Your Doodle owners will love you!

Comment

3 doodles I do are hand scissor. They are very regular clients so we do a scissor then maint a few times. During summer we do a bit shorter but most of my guys are wanted Fluffy .... they do look nice but alot of work.

Comment

I have the longer combs and IMO they come in handy for those 1.5 and 2" cuts. Agreed, that you may as well hand scissor at that point, however I work at a corp shop and a lot of other groomers need to see a set length to do a consistant clip. If the dog goes to another groomer, or another store, the client can get a consistant cut instead of not knowing exactly how short someone did a "scissor trim all over". Also I find they come in handy to set length on heads when the body is left 1" or so as well. I wouldn't say that you HAVE to have the longer combs, but I do use mine once in a while and they do help!

Comment

I skim a lot. Using whatever combs I have I sculpt. I have also used skip tooth blade to skim as well. I try not to hand scissor body's on big dogs If I can get away with it, bit always go over legs and head with scissors

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                I skim a lot. Using whatever combs I have I sculpt. I have also used skip tooth blade to skim as well. I try not to hand scissor body's on big dogs If I can get away with it, bit always go over legs and head with scissors

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                I also free sculpt a lot. I do my own dogs at a body length of about 3", and I take my clipper with a 4 coc and just cut it out. Sometimes I use my exposed Bravura, depending on the mood I'm in. I don't really have a reason to conform to the curves of the dog- usually if I'm doing a longer haircut, I'm hiding something anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X