Help! So many things to ask!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! So many things to ask!

Ill start with this one. How long can you resharpen your blades? Sometimes mine just don't seem to want to cut and they shouldn't be dulled yet. I don't understand. Is it my blades? The people who sharpen them? Clippers? So frustrating!

Good quality blades should last a good long while even with multiple sharpenings. How often are you cleaning and oiling them? What clippers are you using and how often are you changing your blade drive? Are you using them on clean or dirty hair?

Originally posted by M.R. Pup & Stuff View Post
    Ill start with this one. How long can you resharpen your blades? Sometimes mine just don't seem to want to cut and they shouldn't be dulled yet. I don't understand. Is it my blades? The people who sharpen them? Clippers? So frustrating!

Comment

I always blame the sharpener, they can ruin blades very easily

Comment

It could also be that your blade drive assembly (the plastic thing that makes your blades work) needs to be replaced. It will totally affect how well your blades work. People often forget that they need to be replaced on a regular basis.

Scott

Comment

One other sign of blade drive is sound, the blade sounds rough. Oiling is important too. I use a hanvey clipper vac and its keeps blades from getting hot and that makes them last longer too. Dirty dogs will do blades in faster too.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes it's better to send the blades back to the company you bought to sharpen. They usually guarantee the blades to be sharp for a period of months. I learned that the hard way same with scissors. You might have to pay more but it's well worth it in the end. I was also told stay away from anything that looks pretty including blades that are white, pink and green. Also I want to add if you are using the black whal competition blades you're definitely going to have to send it back to the company. It's a pot metal so that means when it gets sharpened it crumbles away. Also use blade wash at least once to twice a week. Depending how often you use that blade. After 28 years of Grooming I have learned a lot. Hope this helps. I love my job!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grateful Dawg View Post
              Sometimes it's better to send the blades back to the company you bought to sharpen. They usually guarantee the blades to be sharp for a period of months. I learned that the hard way same with scissors. You might have to pay more but it's well worth it in the end. I was also told stay away from anything that looks pretty including blades that are white, pink and green. Also I want to add if you are using the black whal competition blades you're definitely going to have to send it back to the company. It's a pot metal so that means when it gets sharpened it crumbles away. Also use blade wash at least once to twice a week. Depending how often you use that blade. After 28 years of Grooming I have learned a lot. Hope this helps. I love my job!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
              Huh, I send my black wahl blades to Jeff at Northern Tails....he has no problem sharpening them AND he is the only one who sharpens all of my blades and shears (they last for months on end too).
              But OP, I do agree with it may be your blade drive and you do have to keep blades clean and oiled. Don't pregroom dirty coats....bath and dry, then clip.
              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                Huh, I send my black wahl blades to Jeff at Northern Tails....he has no problem sharpening them AND he is the only one who sharpens all of my blades and shears (they last for months on end too).
                But OP, I do agree with it may be your blade drive and you do have to keep blades clean and oiled. Don't pregroom dirty coats....bath and dry, then clip.
                No problem here also. My sharpening guy has no issues with doing my black Wahl blades either. I have one set of blades for clipping matted dirty dogs and one set for clean dogs. Probably get blades sharpened twice a year. Gotta keep blades clean and oiled, and yes, agree, check your blade drive often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you all for input. I have changed my blade drive so I don't think it's that. I have oster and andis blades. I clean them often. At least once a week and if I have a dirty dog, they get cleaned that day. Also oiled. I do pre cut for prep most of the time but I do like the idea of having a set of blades just for that. I use a andis clipper. Is there somewhere where I can learn more about my equipment and care. What blades and clippers do you like to use?

Comment

Thank you all for input. I have changed my blade drive so I don't think it's that. I have oster and andis blades. I clean them often. At least once a week and if I have a dirty dog, they get cleaned that day. Also oiled. I do pre cut for prep most of the time but I do like the idea of having a set of blades just for that. I use a andis clipper. Is there somewhere where I can learn more about my equipment and care. What blades and clippers do you like to use?
                    Jeff at Northern Tails can tell anything you want about your equipment.
                    I use Andis Excels & Furzone clippers, use wahl competition black blades, but also like Furzone blades (Jeff carries the Furzone products). Also am a Wahl Bravura user and love their black 5 in 1 blades (whatever they are called, not in salon atm.
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                    X