Shopping list for Academy training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping list for Academy training

I'm going to academy soon and I'm so excited! I've been bathing for 2 years now and I'm finally ready to learn how to groom!

Here's a list of things to get so far after doing a lot of research on forums and asking some of the groomers in my salon. If anyone thinks there's anything I should add to the list or would like to share some tips for me before I go that would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to learn more from you guys as well

I've been looking through these forums since I first started bathing and find everyone's advice very helpful and I've learned so much already! Thank you

Academy Shopping List (So far) :

Clippers : AGC Super 2 Speed Andis Clipper
    Scissors : Monk Purples = 8.5 Straight - 7.5 Curved - 7 Thinning and 7 Chunkers
    Brushes : So far I have mainly CC brushes.. Chris Christensen Medium Slicker brush, 20mm Wood pin brush, 27mm Oval pin
    Brush. Oblong 20mm Pin Brush, And the 16mm T Brush/rake.
    Blades : I have a 10,30,40, 3 3/4 FC, 4FC, 5FC, 7FC.
    CeramicEdge Andis Blades. Also have the Magnetic Steel Attachment Combs Andis
    Detangling Sprays : Crown Royale Ultimate Detanger, The Stuff, Ice on Ice
    Books : Notes from the Grooming Table, Theory of Five, Scissors up! By Anna Hawks, The Art of Grooming : A philosophical
    Approach to Dog Grooming

If there's anything you think I should add to this please let me know down below! I'd love to hear from you ^__^

I would get Andis Excel 5 speed, they are pricier, but so much lighter. Also, cordless clipper, like Wahl Bravura would be great.
    As for blades, get at least two of each, in case you drop one and/or it needs to be sharpened.
    I would get Wahl stainless steel combs instead of Andis. They make them for regular blades, and also for cordless clippers with 5-in-1 blades, like Bravura.
    I also love Tuffer than Tangles brush, you can get it at Ryan's or Cherrybrook.
    Good luck!

Comment

Have you contacted the school and ask for their list ? The school I went to actually had a tool package that we all purchased that contained the tools that they wanted us to use. Your lists contains about everything a groomer would need.....good job !!

Happy getting started

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Combs! ( Greyhound, etc. ) Activet red "emergency"/ Mat Zapper brush. Some non-ceramic blades in case you need to use them on a dirty coat. Multiples of your #5FC, #7FC, #10 blades now, and eventually at least two of all of them. Stazko Spray for your finish scissoring. I also agree with ABDG about the Wahl stainless combs that hook on over your blade rather than a magnetic set, and the Wahl cordless 5 in 1 clipper. Best of luck!

Comment

I do not recommend the excel 5 speed. They heat up way to fast for a slower new groomer. You also MUST unplug them as they heat up even when its not on.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
            Combs! ( Greyhound, etc. ) Activet red "emergency"/ Mat Zapper brush. Some non-ceramic blades in case you need to use them on a dirty coat. Multiples of your #5FC, #7FC, #10 blades now, and eventually at least two of all of them. Stazko Spray for your finish scissoring. I also agree with ABDG about the Wahl stainless combs that hook on over your blade rather than a magnetic set, and the Wahl cordless 5 in 1 clipper. Best of luck!
            Yep! I forgot to mention I already have a pretty good Greyhound comb haha. I'm definitely considering picking up the Activet Mat Zapper, I've heard a lot of great things about it. Just purchased the Wahl stainless steel combs instead of the Andis ones as well. I'll pick up a cordless 5 in 1 clipper as soon as I have enough saved up. Thanks!

Comment

I would drop the 3's, the 4 and the 40 blades and put my money into a bravura 5 n 1 and the big and small Wahl SS combs.

Comment

Skip th longer blades end get extra 30's. Using snap on combs is so much safer for beginners and also more useful when you go to work.
                Stazko spray.
                Good brushes and combs.
                Also- try a small bottle of Mojo from Davis for helping you break through mats that others would cut out. Turns you into d miracle worker.

Finally , for school and beyond , a breed guide book. AKC puts out a paperback of all their breeds and they update each year. Knowing the breeds and knowing what they are SUPPOSED to look like sets you way apart from someone who has no idea what a schnauzer should look like or what a Havanese should look like or ,worse , looks at a mix and says something way off the hook. Your credibility hoes up when you exhibit s knowledge of breeds as well as a knowledge of grooming.
                And--- download some pictures of Asian and extreme styles and set up in s binder. You'll groom to standard but it's nice to have some other options at you fingertips do when you are faced with A $ blade shave down You can still imbue a little character and style

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                  Skip th longer blades end get extra 30's. Using snap on combs is so much safer for beginners and also more useful when you go to work.
                  Stazko spray.
                  Good brushes and combs.
                  Also- try a small bottle of Mojo from Davis for helping you break through mats that others would cut out. Turns you into d miracle worker.

Finally , for school and beyond , a breed guide book. AKC puts out a paperback of all their breeds and they update each year. Knowing the breeds and knowing what they are SUPPOSED to look like sets you way apart from someone who has no idea what a schnauzer should look like or what a Havanese should look like or ,worse , looks at a mix and says something way off the hook. Your credibility hoes up when you exhibit s knowledge of breeds as well as a knowledge of grooming.
                  And--- download some pictures of Asian and extreme styles and set up in s binder. You'll groom to standard but it's nice to have some other options at you fingertips do when you are faced with A $ blade shave down You can still imbue a little character and style
                  Thank you so much for the reply! I actually have the AKC Breed Guide book on my wish list, that's the next book I will pick up once I've saved up enough. There's so much more on my list that I'd like to pick up but unfortunately I have a budget but over time I will definitely pick up that 5 in 1 Bravura and some other great things that you and the others mentioned.

And about the Asian styles, Last year I bought a few magazines with tons of pictures of these styles and I bring them to work with me everyday along with some other dog books I like to read on my down time, They truly inspire me even though I was just bathing. I also bought a great guide book on Asian style grooming from Riza Wisnom, In the future I'd love to implement some of these styles to my grooming. I cannot wait to start grooming.

I'm so inspired by everyone on this forum, I visit this website every day to continue learning as much as I can.
                  I'm so passionate about my job and I absolutely love grooming, this is definitely what I'd like to do for as long as I can. Working with animals in general is such a rewarding career and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Tif View Post
                    I do not recommend the excel 5 speed. They heat up way to fast for a slower new groomer. You also MUST unplug them as they heat up even when its not on.
                    Been using Excels for 8 yrs or so, NEVER have they gotten hot when plugged in but not in use....maybe yours is defective? They also won't heat up any more quickly when using them unless one runs them on high.....
                    OP, you need nail clippers and a dremel. I just bought a new set of Resco nail clippers (for med/small dogs) they are better made now (have gone thru many pairs (and brands) of nail clippers in 30 yrs),and they ROCK! I also second the Tuffer than Tangles brush.
                    You might also want to look at the Yuppy Puppy bath brush.
                    If you are set on a 2 speed clipper, look at the Furzone Sarge 610 at Northern Tails......nice clipper with a bad a$$, last forever blade drive.
                    Good Luck and ask any questions you may have.......someone on this forum WILL have the answer.
                    Cyn
                    Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                    Last edited by Cyn; 02-24-16, 02:00 PM. Reason: added more info
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

And get extra popular blades and more than 1 5N1 that I originally got a school.

Comment

Working...
                      X