Painting clipper housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting clipper housing?

I have a pair of the silver Andis UltraEdge 2 speed clippers (my first) that I now only use as backup. I have been wanting to change their color ever since they came out with different colors. I know I could buy different housing, but now I am obsessed with the idea that I could make my tools unique to me.
    I am wondering what type of paint to use? The only resource I have found on diy custom clippers is done on a clipper with aluminum housing using heat resistant engine paint. Would it make sense to use something like Krylon Fusion since the housing is plastic?
    I have seen other pictures of custom painted clippers, but have no idea what type of paint was used. Maybe someone has some insight?

Surprised no one has ideas on this one yet. O_o
    I've been continuing to try and research this, so far I am seeing the type of paint might not matter as much as the primer used to make sure the paint will stay nicely on the plastic housing. Don't quote me on this, because I haven't found great resources yet, but I think I may be able to use anything from everyday spray paint, to model/rc paint, to car paint. I will update once I learn more or once I actually try this on my clippers. Unless someone has painted clippers, then your input would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

There's spray paints for plastics. I used white on my groom van's AC housing and it looked like new, no peeling. Not sure of the color choices, but you can find the at the big box home improvement stores.

Comment

I think the plastic spray paint is the only choice.

Comment

I painted clipper bodies years ago when Anis had two colors silver and blue. At that time I could find good apint that would stick to these bodies because they were soft and the paint would peel. Maybe the paint choices today are better.
          I got this metallic paint from Texas Art Supply, it had a primer you sprayed first, then the color choice. It never peeled except if it was scratched good.
          Here some examples I did, they looked very nice.

Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	600_PIC_0198.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1122241

Comment

What a great reply Jeff. Including picture!

Originally posted by northerntailssharpening View Post
            I painted clipper bodies years ago when Anis had two colors silver and blue. At that time I could find good apint that would stick to these bodies because they were soft and the paint would peel. Maybe the paint choices today are better.
            I got this metallic paint from Texas Art Supply, it had a primer you sprayed first, then the color choice. It never peeled except if it was scratched good.
            Here some examples I did, they looked very nice.

Jeff

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27377[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks Jeff, those clippers did turn out nice. I think then I will be looking into primer specifically for plastics, because I have found some fun color choices but they are usually for metal or lexan, bit have primers available to adhere to plastics. Might be a bit until I get them painted, but I will uodate when I do. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X