Slicker brush question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicker brush question

I have a Goldendoodle and she hated slicker brushes. I would try smaller and softer brushes but no go, I bought a small slicker brush with plastic pins but it didn't give the same soft outcome as a regular slicker brush, (although I would imagine it will be good for the puppies and seniors) then out of the blue I picked up my largest slicker and she didn't mind it a bit. Anyone know what gives?

You have been persistent & she is finally getting used to being brushed!!

Comment

How old is she? Nearly all puppies go through a rebellious stage where they don't like anything that isn't their own idea. With proper guidance, they usually outgrow this stage fairly quickly and become rather suddenly tractable. If your dog is young, this may be what happened.

Side note: buy a Tuffer Than Tangles long pin slicker (found at ryanspet.com or cherrybrook.com), and a Chris Christensen brass pin brush. Brush with the pin every day, and only use the slicker if you encounter any tangles. (Check your work with course/medium greyhound style comb). :3

Comment

Possibly the spacing between pins is larger and doesnt pull/snag as easy. Less pulling on skin. Do you notice if you use less pressure due to the size of the slicker? Then again Pug is probably spot on. Ahh victory

Comment

Originally posted by plaidjaguar View Post
          How old is she? Nearly all puppies go through a rebellious stage where they don't like anything that isn't their own idea. With proper guidance, they usually outgrow this stage fairly quickly and become rather suddenly tractable. If your dog is young, this may be what happened.

Side note: buy a Tuffer Than Tangles long pin slicker (found at ryanspet.com or cherrybrook.com), and a Chris Christensen brass pin brush. Brush with the pin every day, and only use the slicker if you encounter any tangles. (Check your work with course/medium greyhound style comb). :3
          Plaid, she is 4. she's been like this from the get go and has been groomed since she was 8 months old. Why do you say use the brass pin brush instead of slicker? What's the secret? Will the brass pin brush give the same effect as a slicker?

Comment

I'd also suggest that you do NOT brush her when her coat is dry. Get a nice spray leave-in conditioner, mist a section of her coat and then brush. when the coat is dry it will pull and snap off. But a little moisture will make the brush go thru more easily. This will be more pleasant for her and make the coat smooth and soft.

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey33 View Post
              Plaid, she is 4. she's been like this from the get go and has been groomed since she was 8 months old. Why do you say use the brass pin brush instead of slicker? What's the secret? Will the brass pin brush give the same effect as a slicker?
              Well that blows my theory out of the water! That means Pug is probably right, all your effort finally paid off. For future reference, most dogs should be started in grooming sometime between 4 and 10 weeks old. Dogs who become accustomed to the process early don't struggle with it as adults.

I recommend the pin brush because it does less damage to the coat. A damaged coat mats faster because the hairs are rough and burred, making them stick together more easily. A very healthy, smooth coat doesn't tangle as quickly.

The pin isn't the same as a slicker brush. It won't remove mats, but it can prevent them if used often enough. Ideally, when you brush your dog, it should feel like he didn't need to be brushed. If you're encountering resistance or having to remove tangles, then your coat maintenance isn't sufficient for the length of hair.

As suggested above, it is also a good practice to always use a good quality hydrating spray whenever you brush. And never brush a dirty coat! To keep length on a dog you have to keep them very clean. This may mean biweekly or even weekly baths. The dog should always be well conditioned and thoroughly brushed out after every bath. Ideally you would brush while drying, but that isn't always workable for every dog, so do what you can.

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
                I'd also suggest that you do NOT brush her when her coat is dry. Get a nice spray leave-in conditioner, mist a section of her coat and then brush. when the coat is dry it will pull and snap off. But a little moisture will make the brush go thru more easily. This will be more pleasant for her and make the coat smooth and soft.

sittingpretty
                Right on

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post

sittingpretty
                  Can you suggest a good spray in conditioner?

Comment

I find that for myself, when I had long hair and I was brushing out a tangle, using a small brush hurt more than a larger brush. Perhaps the larger slicker brush was more evenly distributing the pulling on the hair and any tangles it encountered?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey33 View Post
                      Can you suggest a good spray in conditioner?
                      Cherrybrook's spray is excellent, as is Best Shot, Eqyss, and Coat Handler (These are listed in order by strength of fragrance, to suit your own preference--the first few are unscented and the last couple have a pleasant lingering smell).

The Stuff is a very intense detangling spray that works well for very difficult coats, but it can leave the hair feeling coated. Plus it's rather dangerous if used on a hard floor--the overspray makes the floor SUPER slippery.

Comment

On my last order which I received a few day ago I just happen to get some Coat Handler detangler. Is Detangler the same as spray in conditioner? I didn't think it was.....

Comment

Working...
                        X