44 or 50 tooth blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 or 50 tooth blender

To be honest I really don't know the difference in how the number of teeth affects a blender. I am ordering a set of shears from Jeff at northern tails but am unsure which blender I should choose. Can anyone shed some light on the differences in application and finishing. Is one better suited for finer or coarser hair? Thanks in advance

The more teeth, the finer the blending. The less teeth, the more aggressive the blending. For example, a 21 tooth "blender" on an 8" shear is considered a chunker. It takes out a lot of hair in one snip, but does show some marks in the coat with one snip. A 44 tooth 8" thinner will visibly take out less hair, but leave less marks in the coat as well. A 50 tooth blender would leave little to no visible marks, but will take more snips to remove length or bulk of the hair.

Comment

Originally posted by kaida714 View Post
      The more teeth, the finer the blending. The less teeth, the more aggressive the blending. For example, a 21 tooth "blender" on an 8" shear is considered a chunker. It takes out a lot of hair in one snip, but does show some marks in the coat with one snip. A 44 tooth 8" thinner will visibly take out less hair, but leave less marks in the coat as well. A 50 tooth blender would leave little to no visible marks, but will take more snips to remove length or bulk of the hair.
      thanks for clearing that up for me! makes total sense now! I don't really use the blenders I have now bc they are really cheap and I feel like I have to do more work when I use them. The lady that taught me to scissor and finish actually rarely used blenders and didn't use curves at all. He grooms still looked really nice, but she always told me she didn't like curves or blenders and that I didn't need them. To each their own I guess. Now that I'm grooming on my own and reading and watching videos, I don't know how I could get along without my curves, and excited to get a nice pair of blenders.

Comment

No problem! My teacher had a similar idea about shears. I personally love blenders. I use different tooth count for different tasks depending on what I have to work with. I have been grooming 6 years, and still experimenting with different shears. You never stop learning in this industry

Comment

Originally posted by kaida714 View Post
          Good helpful answer kaida

Comment

Not to confuse you but make sure you look at the edges of the teeth on the blenders. They will have notches in them they vary from deep to tiny and hair sits in these notches and increases the amount of hair that gets cut the deeper the notch, the more hair it holds and removes.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X