How long should blades last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should blades last?

I have a Andis 22360 AGC, which I use occasionally, for trimming my dogs. I take very good care to keep them well oiled during and between uses, and clean it well when I've used them.

I'm a little surprised that the blade appears to be already blunt. The dog is clean, combed, and if I try run the naked clipper across the top of a comb which is holding the hair away from the skin, the clipper doesn't even bite.

I suppose I was expecting that there would be a gradual deterioration in effectiveness, and I would eventually end up buying a new blade, but this feels like 1 month ago/perfect, now instant 100% blunt.

How long should a blade last? If that question has an answer

Thanks

You say already blunt but you don't say how long you've owned it. If you are truly only using it on clean dogs and on occasion, and keeping it oiled and cleaned, it should last many many months if not years.

Comment

I have blades that have been professionally sharpened and are 20 years old. The blades manufactured now do not last at all, maybe a year at best. You do have to have professionally sharpened when they go dull.

Comment

Sharpening. It will outlive your dog.
        Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, the blade will last years, I meant sharpening. How long before the blade goes dull? Or how often does a blade need sharpening?

Comment

Are you sure it's not a problem with the clipper itself, instead of the blade?

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
              Are you sure it's not a problem with the clipper itself, instead of the blade?
              Well, that's exactly what I am trying to work out. It's a high quality piece of equipment, I think (Andis 22360 AGC). Certainly not some lightweight piece of plastic. I bought it new in Nov 2013, so about two years old.

As far as I can see, there are very few options.
              >There is no adjustments that I can see to increase the pressure between blade and comb,
              >There's no adjustments to reposition the blade and comb, everything seems to just click into a specific place.
              > I've tried using it without any clip on combs, so it's definitely something in the clipper device itself.

What sort of things should I be looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by maxcot View Post
                Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, the blade will last years, I meant sharpening. How long before the blade goes dull? Or how often does a blade need sharpening?
                Newer blades don't last anywhere near as long as those from even 5 years ago.
                Get your blade professionally sharpened ( send to Jeff at Northern Tails) and it will last for quite some time. He will also tell you if there is something wrong with the blade.

Comment

You said you've had the clippers for almost 2 years. Have you changed the blade drive at all? If the blade drive needs to be changed it can cause the blade to drag.

Comment

Maybe you can do a test. If you have another blade, put it on the clipper and see how it cuts. If the clipper is broken, that blade will also seem really dull.

Comment

Originally posted by maxcot View Post
                      Well, that's exactly what I am trying to work out. It's a high quality piece of equipment, I think (Andis 22360 AGC). Certainly not some lightweight piece of plastic. I bought it new in Nov 2013, so about two years old.

As far as I can see, there are very few options.
                      >There is no adjustments that I can see to increase the pressure between blade and comb,
                      >There's no adjustments to reposition the blade and comb, everything seems to just click into a specific place.
                      > I've tried using it without any clip on combs, so it's definitely something in the clipper device itself.

What sort of things should I be looking at?
                      When did you last change out your clipper blade drive? How about the hinge? If they are worn out you blades will not either not clip correctly or at all. As for how long a blade should stay sharp....it has a wide range, can be several months or one month. I get several months out of mine now that I use Jeff at Northern Tails. Call him and talk about your clipper/blade problem....he will NOT lead you astray and is a very nice man.
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff sounds like a great resource... Considering I'm not in the USA, would you perhaps have an email address for me ?

Comment

Www.Northerntails.com will give you his email address. Good luck!
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                          X